Notifications
Clear all

Dairy Free

MemberMember
(@humorousham)

Posted : 04/04/2014 6:35 am

Recently I have cut dairy from my diet in hopes of clearing my skin. I also have been using just cetephyl bar soap and tea tree oil. I've been dairy free for a few weeks and I'm already noticing a difference! Obviously scars will take awhile to clear but I have less bumps and irritation. I'm very careful about everything I eat. I read every label to make sure there is no dairy. It's hidden in so many things even vegetables and fish! (Butter) But I have been also eating more vegetables and also trying to eat whole grains instead. At first I thought I was going to have to give up a lot of my favorite foods but there are many alternatives available. I've been using almond milk for cereal. There is also dairy free butter, ice creams, and coffee creamers. The dairy free cheese is pretty gross (IMO) so I've given up on that but I haven't been struggling too much and if it will help my skin then to me it's worth it!

MemberMember
(@moduf18)

Posted : 04/06/2014 9:23 pm

I've been doing a lot of research on dairy, along with talking to a chef at my culinary school who knows everything about food. I've basically come to the conclusion that dairy isn't good for our skin! I went off dairy in December, and let me just say: keep sticking to a no-dairy diet! My skin went from horrible cystic acne to now very clear. Back in January I had a 1/2 cup of ice cream and within 24 hours I had broken out horribly. Apparently the lactose hormone in milk is really bad for our skin. Trader Joes has a really great dairy free cheese that melts wonderfully and tastes halfway decent!

I'm planning to stay off dairy for a very long time. The clear skin is worth it for me!

MemberMember
(@ambersue)

Posted : 04/06/2014 10:41 pm

Wow from reading y'all's two posts it seems like a good idea to give the dairy free diet a try. I am starting tomorrow. I had a bowl of cereal and ice cream tonight, lol. Do you eat a lot of sweets? I do, and I'm also gonna cut back on that. Isn't almond milk full of sugar? I just recently started drinking 12 cups of water a day, I am trying so many different things. I've had bad cystic acne for two years :( it's awful and I hate to even be seen. I hope this diet will help me and hope yours continues to get better.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2014 9:07 am

Dairy shouldn't be a big part of anyone's diet, especially unfermented dairy such as drinking milk.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 04/08/2014 12:27 pm

For most people and I stress key word MOST people dairy is a trigger food for acne it is loaded with hormones / antibiotic residue the cows get not a good thing to ingest on a daily basis.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 04/08/2014 1:13 pm

AmberSue - you can get almond milk that is unsweetened which is the best. (The flavoured ones usually are sweetened). Fyi the unsweetened ones are about 40 calories per cup and the sweetened ones are about 120 calories per cup) Also try coconut milk (unsweetened) it is really good!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/08/2014 7:56 pm

Dairy shouldn't be a big part of anyone's diet, especially unfermented dairy such as drinking milk.

According to who?

According to anyone knowledgeable about the affects of consuming a substance that both contains and stimulates the production of growth hormones in a body that is no longer growing. There are just too many negatives. I suggest thinking of dairy as a condiment. That is, as long as you aren't intolerant.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/09/2014 4:08 pm

According to who?

According to anyone knowledgeable about the affects of consuming a substance that both contains and stimulates the production of growth hormones in a body that is no longer growing. There are just too many negatives. I suggest thinking of dairy as a condiment. That is, as long as you aren't intolerant.

That's not a source.

I'm not a source?

I just bumped the thread filled with links to studies.