Notifications
Clear all

People With Clear Skin Telling You Why You Have Acne

MemberMember
(@lighthousesrule27)

Posted : 04/03/2014 9:51 pm

I am fine with people sharing success stories. I love to hear how people's lives were changed when they found that one holy grail of a product that cleared their skin!

What I am NOT fine with is when people who have had clear skin their entire lives try to tell me or others why we have acne!! I have had so many people say things to me like....well you're just not eating the right foods! (while they are munching on a cheeseburger and sipping a chocolate milkshake) or you don't wash your face enough! (when they NEVER wash). I understand it's intended to be helpful, but it's extremely irritating. Especially when you have been battling acne for years. It's like...Do you honestly think I haven't thought of this!? eusa_wall.gif

I don't know. Do any of you guys have this problem? glare.gif

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/03/2014 11:04 pm

Me too! If I had a dollar for everytime someone mentioned proactiv to me, I'd be rich.

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 04/04/2014 3:59 am

It's my biggest pet peeve ever! My mom wouldn't take me to the dermatologist for the longest time because she was convinced I was just not washing my face, which couldn't have been farther from the truth.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/04/2014 11:12 am

So true. I have had so many people give me ridiculous suggestions. One of the worst was to use vaseline on my face. After that broke me out pretty bad, I stopped getting suggestions from people and did my own research. Which is how I ended up on Acne.org! I finally have clear skin, but my only problem is waiting for my acne spots to go away.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/04/2014 8:08 pm

lol hell yea tell that to the Lush girl who kept talking to me about skin care...she was saying how drugstore products are not good becaus e they strip away the natural oils of the face yadiyadayada... I don't give a f*** , I only came to buy shampoo.

It's like, people tell you things, suggest you things, things that we've already probably researched and heard so many times, and it makes me feel stupid, and I'm here thinking "Don't you think I already know that, and it might not be true for me anyway...".

When the salesgirl told me that, I was really pissed and didn't say anything throughout the rest of my time in the shop and I paid and got the fuck out.

But, I understand it's their job and it wasn't something personal and to them, we're just another customer in the store, a mere number.

But, they're awfully pushy, though (Lush).

And the other day when I was in a drugstore, some people wanted to demonstrate Clarisonic and my instinct was to get far away from them lol

MemberMember
(@lighthousesrule27)

Posted : 04/05/2014 2:32 am

Hahaha. Yeah. I've probably tried about half of my kitchen on my face at this point! So glad your skin is finally clear though! Congrats! cheer.gif What finally did it may I ask?

So true. I have had so many people give me ridiculous suggestions. One of the worst was to use vaseline on my face. After that broke me out pretty bad, I stopped getting suggestions from people and did my own research. Which is how I ended up on Acne.org! I finally have clear skin, but my only problem is waiting for my acne spots to go away.

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 04/06/2014 5:35 pm

Girl, you are preaching to the choir! My roommate has gorgeous skin and when I complain about mine she tells me its because I eat poorly while she eats pasta and pizza all the time. She'll get a small pimple close to her hairline and she'll freakout and say "I HAVE ACNE! MY SKIN LOOKS AWFUL!" . I get so mad when she does that. Also, she'll just some rub some alcohol on the pimple and its gone the next day.

Nobody knows what its like until they have it. I've struggled with acne for about 10 years, so I feel you!

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/07/2014 8:59 pm

Hahaha. Yeah. I've probably tried about half of my kitchen on my face at this point! So glad your skin is finally clear though! Congrats! cheer.gif What finally did it may I ask?

The Regimen. I think its the benyzol peroxide and being careful with my face.

MemberMember
(@skullmama1)

Posted : 04/08/2014 1:06 am

Yes yes yes. When boyfriends say stuff it's the worst. "Maybe you're wearing too much makeup. .." "Have you tried Proactiv? My sister used it when she got acne." "You use too much stuff on your face. I don't even wash my face and look at me."

And sales women at Sephora...telling me I need toner and salicylic acid products and things to control oil... Look, I sell skincare for a living. I know the theory. Turns out it was a gluten allergy after 10 years of people making me feel dumb or like I'm dirty.

MemberMember
(@madeupdreams)

Posted : 04/10/2014 9:47 pm

Ugh there is nothing more irritating than this, I swear. People don't realize I've been dealing with this for over half of my life now. There are very few things I haven't already tried, no one is going to clue me in on some miracle cure I've never heard of, it's just all the same shit everyone tells me(It's your diet/makeup/face wash/etc.) I finally got my ass to a dermatologist since my acne is officially the worst it's ever been in my life, sooo hopefully the things she prescribed me will help turn things around.

MemberMember
(@lighthousesrule27)

Posted : 04/11/2014 4:43 pm

Ugh there is nothing more irritating than this, I swear. People don't realize I've been dealing with this for over half of my life now. There are very few things I haven't already tried, no one is going to clue me in on some miracle cure I've never heard of, it's just all the same shit everyone tells me(It's your diet/makeup/face wash/etc.) I finally got my ass to a dermatologist since my acne is officially the worst it's ever been in my life, sooo hopefully the things she prescribed me will help turn things around.

Hahaha. Yeah, I hope so too. hifive.gif Let me know if it does yeah? xD Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 04/20/2014 10:42 am

Totally agree with everyone! I love when people say "oh have you tried washing your face?"...um REALLY?! Or even better when people are like "in a month you'll be fine your skin will come back to normal"..I hate to have to explain everything that's going on with me to everybody. Anyways people without acne just don't understand and its so easy for them to offer their "knowledge" when they aren't the ones going through it. Bless them they try but they really don't know.

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 04/21/2014 4:10 am

The worst are the health nuts who all seem to have a medical degree

Some of the more absurd ones:

-''Don't eat any food with fat/grease in it. As soon as you eat it, it goes straight through your bloodstream and onto your skin.''

-''What!.... You're not taking all these supplemental vitamins and minerals? No wonder you got acne''

-''I used to have acne (probably no more than a few spots), not i just spread (insert random natural item here*) all over my face.''