Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is My Acne Bad Enough For Accutane?

So I have a dermatology appointment coming up and I'm seriously hoping they give me accutane as I feel I'm at my wits end.

I have quite oily skin, but can be dry in places. My acne isn't severe and although I don't get scarring I get a lot of redness and dark marks once acne has gone down. I'm afraid that I will end up scarring eventually. I'm 19 and have had acne since around 13/14 and it is very persistent.

I feel so depressed because of my acne. I don't want to go out or let people see me. Naturally I have virtually no self confidence because of this.

I have been on doxycycline for 2 years on and off and lymecycline for about 6 months. I have tried benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, AHA/BHA, various face cleansers, moisturizers and supplements and improving my diet.

I have attached some pictures of my acne right now to give a better impression. Given the pictures and what I have written, how willing do you think my dermatologist will be to put me accutane? I am well aware of the risks involved; but having acne is ruining my life (if it can even be called that) so it's worth the risk.

Many thanks.

post-170911-0-06281100-1396472940.jpg

post-170911-0-37184900-1396472953.jpg

post-170911-0-52607100-1396472964.jpg

post-170911-0-44394300-1396472976.jpg

post-170911-0-70288500-1396472987.jpg

post-170911-0-52081700-1396472999.jpg

post-170911-0-06281100-1396472940.jpg

post-170911-0-37184900-1396472953.jpg

post-170911-0-52607100-1396472964.jpg

post-170911-0-44394300-1396472976.jpg

post-170911-0-70288500-1396472987.jpg

post-170911-0-52081700-1396472999.jpg

Edited by Guest

i look at it this way- i was like you. I said am i self conscious about it? Do i almost hate myself for it? Do i cry over it? Has it been a pain in the you know what treating it? - the question isn't severity- its how does it effect you. Thats what i discussed with my derm, and severity of my condition really didn't come into play in the decision. I wanted it because i couldn't take it anymore dealing with this stress.

Yes, I would say so. But if I were you, I would try dietary changes first. Diet is the culprit behind many cases of inflammatory acne. You could get the prescription from your derm, but instead of starting it immediately, start it in 2 weeks. During those two weeks, you could try a somewhat restrictive diet, just to see if there is a correlation for you. I would recommend a paleo style diet, with white rice (not brown) as your main starch (in extreme moderation, of course).

Accutane has many, many side effects, some of which are permanent and life-altering. If it's as simple as avoiding a trigger food or two, that would be the safer option. And if you see no results after two weeks, then at least you can be somewhat vindicated in your decision if something goes wrong with the accutane.

Yes, I would say so. But if I were you, I would try dietary changes first. Diet is the culprit behind many cases of inflammatory acne. You could get the prescription from your derm, but instead of starting it immediately, start it in 2 weeks. During those two weeks, you could try a somewhat restrictive diet, just to see if there is a correlation for you. I would recommend a paleo style diet, with white rice (not brown) as your main starch (in extreme moderation, of course).

Accutane has many, many side effects, some of which are permanent and life-altering. If it's as simple as avoiding a trigger food or two, that would be the safer option. And if you see no results after two weeks, then at least you can be somewhat vindicated in your decision if something goes wrong with the accutane.

I have tried restricting my diet already and eliminating all kinds of "bad" foods, all to no avail. And yeah there are lots of potential side effects, but this acne is ruining my life and I'm desperate for a way to fix this.

I see it advised here a lot, that one should first try the regimen for 3-4months, because it works for most people. You said you have tried BP, have you tried the regimen? Anyways, if I was in your place and the regimen wouldn't work for me, I would probably go for accutane (having acne is just to damn terrible).

Edited by Finguy93

So I have a dermatology appointment coming up and I'm seriously hoping they give me accutane as I feel I'm at my wits end.

I have quite oily skin, but can be dry in places. My acne isn't severe and although I don't get scarring I get a lot of redness and dark marks once acne has gone down. I'm afraid that I will end up scarring eventually. I'm 19 and have had acne since around 13/14 and it is very persistent.

I feel so depressed because of my acne. I don't want to go out or let people see me. Naturally I have virtually no self confidence because of this.

I have been on doxycycline for 2 years on and off and lymecycline for about 6 months. I have tried benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, AHA/BHA, various face cleansers, moisturizers and supplements and improving my diet.

I have attached some pictures of my acne right now to give a better impression. Given the pictures and what I have written, how willing do you think my dermatologist will be to put me accutane? I am well aware of the risks involved; but having acne is ruining my life (if it can even be called that) so it's worth the risk.

Many thanks.

sam1w2e,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take Accutane or any of its other branded name versions (Roaccutane, Isotretinol, etc) before looking into what this drug is actually all about. It was originally created for cancer patients after they received chemotherapy. This alone should tell you how corrosive it is to every single living cell in your body. Accutane actually changes the building blocks of your cells FOREVER. It has over 180 side effects, some of which can be permanent which include impotence, anal bleeding and severe depression. This drug has been a saviour for some people but its a double edged sword and some people lives are ruined forever from it. Some people have had serious depression that they have actually committed suicide and left evidence to prove this drug was the cause behind the depression.

There is a lot more that you can do for your skin. I have been cleaning my skin with oatmeal/cold water then moisturising with argan oil and then pure shea butter to finish with. All these products are non comongenic (non-clogging) and have changing my skin around. Please message me if you wish to have more information.

I link you to a British programme which is about an hour long and speaks about real peoples experiences with Accutane.

Please do watch this video as an hour just now is better than a life of regret.

Regards,

aFantastic