Notifications
Clear all

28F - 40Mg Roaccutane

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/02/2014 5:49 am

Hello

I thought I should start a log (i'm already 2 months in) to track progress and side effects of my accutane journey.

My story... At 28 I've been suffering from mild-moderate acne for the last seven years. It comes and goes but I feel like I can pinpoint the trouble starting when I moved to Dubai, UAE (from Melbourne, AU). The harsh climate change must have triggered it because as a teen I only had the odd spot here and there. I had tried all different treatments and products, and some worked for a short time but the pimples always came back.

In January I decided that enough was enough and that I didn't still want to be self-conscious of my acne by the time I'm thirty. I booked an appointment with the head dermatologist at Dubai's Saudi German Hospital who, at one glance of my face through his big magnified mirror, had no hesitation on putting me on accutane. He also said that I have two common problems associated with polycystic ovary syndrome - adult acne and hirsutism.

My stats- I'm 5'6'' and weigh 60kg.

Currently I'm on

Roaccutane 40mg daily

Zithromax 3 days a week

and BC Diane daily (also helps with the hirsutism)

Ps- my version of hirsutism is nothing like the wikipedia version of it! oh glob, haha!

I'll attach photos soon, before and monthly -

I take photos almost weekly in the harsh bright light of the big windows in my apartment-there is no hiding from my spots!

I hope to just document my progress and share this experience with many others in the same shoes... It's been a tough few months so far. Good luck everyone.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 04/02/2014 3:31 pm

I am also on 40 mg of Accutane and Diane! The 2-3 months were rough, but it is pretty smooth sailing now. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/13/2014 2:34 am

Week 1-5:

Noticed the dry lips straight away. Spots were noticeably smaller by the third week. Tired ALL the time. I had one random blood nose but aside from that, it just constantly feels like there is dried bloody snot in my nostrils! Hit the initial breakout period around week 5. Getting harder to cover up since I just use BB cream but I'm not so fussed. Overall quite positive with the results so far, although as teh weeks progressed a felt increasingly tired and less social.

Week 6:

The best way to describe it would be an avalanche of sadness! I feel annoyed and upset by my usual pals and just want to go home and sleep.

Skinwise, my rightcheek is smooth to touch. Something I haven't experienced with my own skin for as long as I remember!!! Skin on my forehead and nose is flaky. Trying to keep in mind that the medicine is causing my hormones to go mental and in a few months it'll all be worth it.

Right now it's week 8:

I've been forgetting to take my tablets out with me a few days last week, and I think it's actually for the best since i'm getting hit hard by the side effects.

I called my derma and reminded him I'm 60kg on 40mg and he told me to stop by and pick up some 10mg tablets so I can decrease my dosage to 30mg, but I haven't had time to go see him. Hopefully it won't affect the good progress I've currently had.

Anyone else experiencing the crazy mood swings? I hope it's the medication or else I might have to accept the fact I'm simple a moodly cow. Ha!

I am also on 40 mg of Accutane and Diane! The 2-3 months were rough, but it is pretty smooth sailing now. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/13/2014 8:48 am

This may be a really, really silly newbie question, but aside for the pills I'm also prescribed 2 creams in the evening...

I put Epiduo on for 2 hours, then rinse and put Fucidin on before I sleep. Since I'm currently in this odd mid life acne/wrinkle stage, I'd like use my anti-wrinkle cream in evenings too. Should I be using this before my final Fucidin application, or AFTER that has dried?

In the mornings I use this ointment (the name escapes me now but it was originally a ointment/powder you mix together). I put my BB cream on directly after it. Since i'm getting flakier skin on my nose and cheek, I guess i should be putting more moisturiser on too, in this case I'd obviously put it on after the treatment.

Can someone pls correct me if i'm wrong? I've never been great at moisturisers :)

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/16/2014 8:15 am

Comparing the end of my first month to the end of my second month... I thought it was going good, was feeling positive but these pictures don't lie, there hasn't been much improvement (yet!)!! The spots are fading, i suppose, but you can still see teh red spots - nothing has disappeared yet.
Skin is horribly, horribly dry this week :(

I've started to use Invisible Zinc Tinted Daywear SPF 30+ under my regular BB cream so I feel safer with more sunscreen coverage (BB cream is only SPF15+) but i thought it might help look less flaky but that hasn't happened.

Edit: DOH! My photos have the wrong dates. The first photo was from 12 MAR, the second photo from today, 16 APR.

post-387525-0-13248100-1397654705.png

post-387525-0-13248100-1397654705.png

MemberMember
(@mallory)

Posted : 04/16/2014 7:29 pm

I actually see lots of improvement! Your texture looks really smooth and healthy... You're well on your way :)

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/20/2014 6:13 am

I actually see lots of improvement! Your texture looks really smooth and healthy... You're well on your way

Thanks Mallory 🙂

Day 62:

A new spot on my right cheek. I've been eating a LOT of junk food lately so perhaps that is why. Also, bit of weight gain huhuhu

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/21/2014 6:09 am

The more internet reading I am doing, the more scared I am that I am on Accutane! I'm worried about the long-term effects this course will have on me.

At the moment I am getting really dry eyes - apparently this is something that has stuck with people years after the treatment!

I'm also having muscle pain in my legs mostly - I work in an office so sit most of the day and never had issues when I get up to have a break... Lately though, after sitting for a short while I feel my knees buckle and hurt. Maybe I'm just getting lazy :-/

Last night after dinner I was so nauseated and had to throw up. I blamed it on my 2 day break from Roaccutane prior, and having the pill yesterday lunchtime probably stirred up my stomach.

My family GP growing up never wanted to put me on Accutane - he put me instead on BCP Diane (alone) at aged 17 (my acne was still mild though) and always suggested topical treatments. But that doctor was my dad's doctor and knew my whole family medical history so maybe there was a reason he didn't. The new derma I got my Accutane prescription from was basically a stranger looking at my bad skin up front.

Am I reading into things too much? Does anyone know if the long-term effects only stick with a small percentage of users? The majority of people from this blog seem to be happy and OK with it...

Is paranoia a side-effect of the drug? o.0

MemberMember
(@o1love)

Posted : 04/23/2014 10:18 pm

My family GP growing up never wanted to put me on Accutane - he put me instead on BCP Diane (alone) at aged 17 (my acne was still mild though) and always suggested topical treatments. But that doctor was my dad's doctor and knew my whole family medical history so maybe there was a reason he didn't. The new derma I got my Accutane prescription from was basically a stranger looking at my bad skin up front.

Am I reading into things too much? Does anyone know if the long-term effects only stick with a small percentage of users? The majority of people from this blog seem to be happy and OK with it...

Is paranoia a side-effect of the drug? o.0

I can definitely relate! My family doctor (whom I've seen for 12 years now) didn't want to put me on Accutane all these years. Then, a dermatologist recommended it to me after speaking to me for 5 min lol

According to my dermatology professor, dermatologists are becoming more and more confident with prescribing Accutane as 1st-2nd line therapy for moderate-severe acne; they were considered to be the last resort treatment in the past. Yes, long-term side effects are uncommon, though some side effects seem to be more common than others (ex. my friend that went on Accutane years ago says it thinned her hair a lot and it stayed that way). Hopefully we won't get stuck with any of the side effects!!

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/27/2014 2:32 am

Hi o1love! Good to know:-) safe to say my paranoia has disappeared this week. lol.. I'd just like to clear my skin and not worry about break out anymore.

Day 69:

Saw the dermatologist yday and after examining my skin he was pleased there there is only 1 active lesion on my cheek. The other cheek is clear except for some redness. Any one have tips to get rid of the redness? I'm still on 40mg and zithromax, plus he gave me another prescription of tablets to help with these new small rashes I've been getting on my arms. They're itchy and i'm worried about scarring :-#

I'm not a fan of taking pills - I can't wait to get off the treatment. And it's only been just over two months.. hard to believe, it feels like I've been taking this forever!

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/28/2014 8:38 am

Day 70:

Woke up with a whitehead just above my lip! Whyyyyy. It's so big and I want to pop it. Also having another coldsore on the corner of my mouth. I hate these. This one isn't as bad as one i had a few weeks ago but stinging... The little tubes of Zovirax are not big enough to handle my treatment period.

Forgot to mention yday the derma prescribed me Yaz BC pills, he said it works better than Diane (which I went an purchased myself). He said it's safe to switch over but we'll see if I get any improvements with Yazmin. I have been taking Diane on and off since I was 19 so perhaps it isn't working.

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 05/07/2014 3:18 am

Day 79:

Very happy with the progress so far. No new pimples in the last week. That nasty whitehead above my lip went away (I might have poked it away) but it didn't come back. I had a persistent blackhead on my cheek which I decided to pick out. It left a little scab for a couple of days but eventually washed off. Now I just have redness where the spots used to be so will patiently wait for that to disappear.

Maybe my body is finally used to the Roaccutane in my system but my mind is feeling a bit better now too. I was so scattered the last few months. I was hating all my friends and didn't want to speak to anyone. I don't know if it is because of the dryness of skin and lips but I didn't want to be anywhere but my couch. Now I feel like I'm ready to see the world again! Plus despite a little voice in my head telling me how tired and heavy my limbs always feel, I've managed to go out to the gym and start my pilates again. Perhaps that's why my mind feels lighter :-)

I'm only halfway through the treatment but hope it's all smooth sailing from now on.

I'm also using the Cetaphil bar soap in the shower instead of my usual nicely scented creams. Seems to be working, as those scabby dry spots on my arms have gone away.

Morning routine:

La Roche-Posay Physiological Foaming Water

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion

Evening routine:

La Roche-Posay Physiological Foaming Water

Epiduo on spots (rinse off after 2 hours)

L'occitane Immortelle Divine Cream

Fucidin on spots

I don't know if i should stop the Epiduo and Fucidin since i don't have any 'active' spots.

Overall, POSITIVE.

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 05/22/2014 2:10 am

Day 94:

Been a while but that's because there have been no changes. SKin is still clear except for the redness surrounding old pimples.

I flew to Australia last week (Autumn/Winter) and gladly the change in climate (from 40 degrees here to approx 16 degrees there) didn't run havoc on my skin as usual.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2014 12:11 pm

Good Luck with treatment. Accutane is not an easy ride so take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, meditate and if you're feeling low, tell someone, especially your doc as accutane is know to make depression worst. Lots of improvement

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 06/17/2014 3:28 am

Day 120:

Nothing new to report much anymore. Month 4 and it feels like forever that I've been taking it. Good news is that from month 3, my skin really cleared up. But now that the pimples are gone it is only the redness that remains. I still need to use concealer to cover it up under my makeup.

Good Luck with treatment. Accutane is not an easy ride so take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, meditate and if you're feeling low, tell someone, especially your doc as accutane is know to make depression worst. Lots of improvement

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 08/20/2014 4:19 am

Day 186:

Here it is! I completed 6 months a few weeks ago. My derma has prescribed Differin to use as a topical treatment every night. He said the effect is the same as Roaccutane and that it will help diminish visible pores and blemishes, making my skin look all shiny and new.

I now use Differin every night after cleansing my face. In the mornings I cleanse and then use Bioscreen's anti-redness cream.

It's so weird to see so many freckles on my face. I knew they've always been there. But they've been hiding under the acne in the past. I'd take freckles over pimples any day smile.png

My overall assessment on my Roaccutane journey...

Skin - Did wonders for my skin. Though it may be too early to tell if my acne will return, I am hoping for the best and enjoying not stressing about my red spots!

Health - I felt so lazy while on the treatment. I don't know if this was a side effect or just me being lazy. Either way, I did put on a bit of weight and felt bloated all the time.

Mental state - As above, not sure if it was a real side effect or just me isolating myself but the last 6 months felt like a horrible roller coaster of emotions. I hated my friends and found social gatherings unbearable (more than usual lol). Now even just a few weeks off the treatment, I feel like i'm back to my normal self (of still trying to avoid social gatherings but at least I'm not a moody cow anymore!)

Now I am exercising at the gym and trying to eat better so that should be positive for my overall health. I'd recommend Roaccutane to anyone suffering from acne. I had acne since I was 22 and now I'm 29. I wish I used it sooner as 6 months on Roaccutane (despite having to question my mental state these past few months!) is better than stressing about the random infected spots appearing all over my face for all those years!

Thanks for letting me share my journey. I am pleased with the results and can only pray that it is permanent!

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 08/20/2014 6:04 am

PS - that red mark on my left cheek... that's from picking out a blackhead (obviously with the wrong tool). Months ago! Learnt my lesson and leaving blackheads alone now!!