Notifications
Clear all

What Helped Me

MemberMember
(@lizenus)

Posted : 04/01/2014 8:11 pm

Hey everyone, this post has been a long time coming. I lurked these boards a few years ago in search for what everyone here wants: A reasonable complexion free of zits and blemishes.

To begin, I have very sensitive red skin that gets dry and breaks out easily. I spent countless hours researching products, getting my hopes up, only to be frustrated again and again on things that didn't work. Eventually I developed digestive problems and clued in that there may be a link. The acne was just a superficial manifestation of a deeper problem. I slowly learned that eating well was the one thing I could correlate to my skin. I realized all my digestive problems could not be separated. The body is a holistic system and must be treated as such. I find that by avoiding dairy, refined foods and sugar I can avoid break outs for the most part. Years ago I was convinced there had to be a simpler cure.

The main difference between then and now is my attitude about acne. I simply don't care as much as I used to. I thought that if only my acne was gone, I could approach women, be socially confident etc. Eventually, I learned that I could accomplish these things regardless of the condition of my skin. Ironically, as soon as I stopped caring about my acne, my face cleared up. Once I stopped using topicals and confusing my skin all the time, letting the natural processes take their course, the number of new blemishes dwindled, old ones healed, and my face stopped being something I think about constantly.

Do I have immaculate complexion? Far from it. I have a ton of facial redness, scars, and if I don't eat well I will still break out. But I go on with life, and don't let it affect me like it used to.

We're so much more than our physical bodies. I know that sounds cliche, so let me put it another way: Things are only as big of a deal as we let them be. Will some people judge you for having acne? Maybe, but who wants to be friends with those people. Much more important is the connection you make with someone's being, which goes far beyond the superficial dimension of our looks.

As a side note, I have found meditation invaluable in self-awareness and spiritual growth. I believe the mind, body and spirit are integrally connected, and disfunction in one affects the others. This is why an integrated healing approach is crucial.

TLDR: Diet helped some, new perspective of not caring helped a lot, get out and enjoy life!

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 04/01/2014 8:48 pm

Meditation is baloney.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/02/2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for sharing lizenus.

Anyone who has nothing productive to say should shut the eff up. This forum is littered with trolls and negative people. Why do people even post here if they don't care about diet and holistic health? They should go somewhere else.

MemberMember
(@lizenus)

Posted : 04/02/2014 10:39 pm

No problem!

bubble55, I cordially invite you to investigate on your own. See e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

I understand it's not for everyone, but to say it is baloney is a bit of a sweeping generalization.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/02/2014 11:09 pm

There are TED talks on this topic too... very interesting research about the ways meditation can change the way we think and even help restore our health. Too bad there isn't enough scientific evidence for it yet.

The second video on this page is particularly interesting: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/20/meditation-relaxation-response.aspx?e_cid=20140220Z1B_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20140220Z1B&et_cid=DM40892&et_rid=432792765

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 04/03/2014 1:44 pm

Lizenus, I would change the title of your post. It's not catchy enough -- and people need to read what you're writing because it's the simple truth.

This is what's going to cure your acne.