Notifications
Clear all

Help! Skin Darkening On Regimen

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/01/2014 7:26 pm

My face is significantly darker since starting The Regimen. I use Dan's BP and moisturiser and notice that my face is much darker than my neck after I put moisturiser on (post BP application). I know this is not related to the sun because I haven't been out in the sun since starting the Regimen 2 weeks ago. I recently read a similar post stating that if BP darkens your skin you should stop usage immediately. Is there any truth to this statement? If so, why? Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and found a way to stop the darkening, kindly let me know. I hope this isn't permanent. I think it might be the moisturizer, but I'm not certain. Please help.

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/09/2014 12:01 pm

I'm also experiencing the same problem! I'm 2nd week into it and have discolouration on the areas where I applied BP on. I haven't been out in the sun when I started the regimen too. However i think the problem is the dryness caused by bp and wasn't moisturizing generously with jojoba oil. My skin is still tanned, I hope someone can really advice what to do as I would want to continue with the regimen too.

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/09/2014 11:09 pm

Hi Ascirdla,

Since posting this last week, my darkening has decreased a lot. I have a few small darker patchy spots now, and I've come to realize that the darker skin tends to be flaky skin that is drying out. As that first layer of flakes fall off, the "new" skin underneath it is my normal skin tone. I followed and posted in a similar post () which I would recommend you read. Hang in there and good luck!

lol nevermind, I just realized you posted in that topic too. haha.

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/18/2014 9:33 am

Hi Ascirdla,

Since posting this last week, my darkening has decreased a lot. I have a few small darker patchy spots now, and I've come to realize that the darker skin tends to be flaky skin that is drying out. As that first layer of flakes fall off, the "new" skin underneath it is my normal skin tone. I followed and posted in a similar post ( http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/335797-darkening-of-the-skin/ ) which I would recommend you read. Hang in there and good luck!

lol nevermind, I just realized you posted in that topic too. haha.

I actually did most of the things to try to get it of it. But it just seems so bad this morning when I checked out. I had a break from school for about 2 months and I usually do wake up in the afternoon so I don't really check out my face. I'd still follow the regimen precisely though. However I woke up this morning and realized my discolouration is so bad under the sun light. I just hope to get rid of em before my school starts. It's really big and red in places where I have acne so this would definitely attract more other people's attention than before. .

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/21/2014 8:25 am

Hang in there! Is your discolouration where the flakes are? If so, and if enough time past since starting the regimen, perhaps you can start adding AHA (glycolic acid)? If you start using AHA, build it up very gradually as it does break some people out. Also, mix it with moisturizer when you first start. For me, the AHA made a significant difference in flake reduction. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, and although my flakes are not completely gone, a lot of them have, and with that, my extreme tan has also significantly decreased.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 04/21/2014 1:39 pm

my skin doesnt get red , dry or flake when using it at all , i use bp and aha moisturizer and im fine maybe you applying too much bp

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/21/2014 4:36 pm

Hang in there! Is your discolouration where the flakes are? If so, and if enough time past since starting the regimen, perhaps you can start adding AHA (glycolic acid)? If you start using AHA, build it up very gradually as it does break some people out. Also, mix it with moisturizer when you first start. For me, the AHA made a significant difference in flake reduction. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, and although my flakes are not completely gone, a lot of them have, and with that, my extreme tan has also significantly decreased.

Alright thanks! Order aha to my country have to take quite awhile.. Your post are really helpful for me. I've been off the bp for 3 days and I notice the tan are disappearing. I hope to get back to the regimen and start with a small amount of bp and will add aha to my regimen. How's your progress anyway?

my skin doesnt get red , dry or flake when using it at all , i use bp and aha moisturizer and im fine maybe you applying too much bp

Yes I think I started too fast too much with the bp! Will purchase the aha and add in to my regimen! Thanks for the post :)

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/29/2014 7:48 am

Leading Force, I think it's cuz I started increasing the dosage of BP too fast. That was in my first two weeks. Since then, thankfully, everything has calmed down a lot!! My face is still slightly more tanned than my body, but it's not anything crazy like before.

Ascirdla, my face is a lot better. Thanks for asking :). I hope you have better luck on your second attempt with the regimen. My best advice is to go super slow with the BP dosage increments (as we both learnt our lesson from increasing it too fast lol). Also, I hear you on the shipping of products and the wait time. What country are you from? The shipping fees must be crazy high if you're ordering directly from Acne.org. I ordered from Amazon.com the last time b/c I was not willing to pay the ridiculous shipping fee to Canada.

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 04/29/2014 3:16 pm

The darker skin tends to be rougher from my experience and was where i used tom much and it burned my skin, and was also flaky.

Use a moisturiser and it will go soon enough.

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/29/2014 3:32 pm

Leading Force, I think it's cuz I started increasing the dosage of BP too fast. That was in my first two weeks. Since then, thankfully, everything has calmed down a lot!! My face is still slightly more tanned than my body, but it's not anything crazy like before.

Ascirdla, my face is a lot better. Thanks for asking . I hope you have better luck on your second attempt with the regimen. My best advice is to go super slow with the BP dosage increments (as we both learnt our lesson from increasing it too fast lol). Also, I hear you on the shipping of products and the wait time. What country are you from? The shipping fees must be crazy high if you're ordering directly from Acne.org. I ordered from Amazon.com the last time b/c I was not willing to pay the ridiculous shipping fee to Canada.

Hi there, after I stopped the bp regimen, my discolouration fade away after 1 week. However when I get back to it with a small pea size of bp, the discolouration came back the next morning. I'd apply moisturizer generously with jojoba oil. I wonder what's happening here?

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/29/2014 7:01 pm

I've come to the point where I don't know what to do. My parents isn't supportive with me visiting a derm and even asked me not to waste their money. All they do is asking me to go to school and study study study. They kept saying no one will judge you because of your complexion but they just don't understand how we feel. They just don't understand.. after having acne, I started to skip schools because of people keep staring and some of them just point and laugh. They won't know how much it hurts me. One day I started hiding at home and became anti-social, stopped meeting my good friends and hanging out because I felt my skin is so bad. Avoiding mirrors reflection is the best thing I can do. It's been awhile and I've realize everyone carries on with their life happily without me. Yet, I felt so hopeless. My friends has stopped to ask me out because whenever they ask, I would say no because I just felt so bad. I'm writing this because I've no one to turn too. I felt so hopeless, lonely.

MemberMember
(@flymetothemoon)

Posted : 04/29/2014 9:09 pm

Ascirdla, I understand how you feel. Please dont isolate yourself or limit yourself from shared experiences b/c youre not alone in this and there are a ton of people who will listen, and provide support. For every person who will point and stare, there are others who will support you on your journey to clear skin. You are not alone in this. I had super clear skin for most of my life, including puberty, and then it got horrible when I turned 21-22. Im 24 now, and up until starting the Regimen, Ive felt super shitty about my acne cuz I would breakout in reaction to everything (all moisturizers, all makeup etc). Moreover, it felt so unfair to have outgrown puberty with acne when everyone else had flawless skin. One of my lowest moments was when I took the local train home from school and this older guy (who obviously had no empathy, nor any standards of etiquette) asked me what was that on my face? Who stops a stranger to ask them that!!!?? Also, brutally honest extended family members would often comment on my face getting bad (thanks, as if I hadnt noticed..lol). Anyway, I was lucky that my acne was moderate at worst, and didnt always flare up. Furthermore, I was lucky to have a supporting family, friends and boyfriend who didnt think much about my acne. In retrospect, I should have been more open about my dissatisfaction with my face cuz they probably would have made me feel better. If you have school counsellors or therapists that you can talk to, I highly suggest doing so. School can be hard enough, but if youre dealing with other issues, and starting to isolate yourself, I really think it would be helpful to talk to a professional. Moreover, your friends obviously wanted to spend time with you; good friends always make difficult times harder. I hope the Regimen works out for you this time around. It has been working great for me, as well as thousands of others. Definitely dont give up hope

MemberMember
(@ascirdla)

Posted : 04/30/2014 9:06 am

Ascirdla, I understand how you feel. Please dont isolate yourself or limit yourself from shared experiences b/c youre not alone in this and there are a ton of people who will listen, and provide support. For every person who will point and stare, there are others who will support you on your journey to clear skin. You are not alone in this. I had super clear skin for most of my life, including puberty, and then it got horrible when I turned 21-22. Im 24 now, and up until starting the Regimen, Ive felt super shitty about my acne cuz I would breakout in reaction to everything (all moisturizers, all makeup etc). Moreover, it felt so unfair to have outgrown puberty with acne when everyone else had flawless skin. One of my lowest moments was when I took the local train home from school and this older guy (who obviously had no empathy, nor any standards of etiquette) asked me what was that on my face? Who stops a stranger to ask them that!!!?? Also, brutally honest extended family members would often comment on my face getting bad (thanks, as if I hadnt noticed..lol). Anyway, I was lucky that my acne was moderate at worst, and didnt always flare up. Furthermore, I was lucky to have a supporting family, friends and boyfriend who didnt think much about my acne. In retrospect, I should have been more open about my dissatisfaction with my face cuz they probably would have made me feel better. If you have school counsellors or therapists that you can talk to, I highly suggest doing so. School can be hard enough, but if youre dealing with other issues, and starting to isolate yourself, I really think it would be helpful to talk to a professional. Moreover, your friends obviously wanted to spend time with you; good friends always make difficult times harder. I hope the Regimen works out for you this time around. It has been working great for me, as well as thousands of others. Definitely dont give up hope

Thanks for your words. I'm at the point where I don't know what to do or even how to help my acne. The regimen makes my skin discolouration very bad. I'm a pale person and the discolouration just make me looks so weird with dark brown patches which are very obvious during the day. I don't have that financial to visit my derm as my parents are not supportive. I'm only 16 I feel miserable