Notifications
Clear all

Mild Very Persistent Acne?

MemberMember
(@pentanone)

Posted : 03/30/2014 9:58 pm

So about 2 years ago I finished my Accutane treatment and sever cystic acne. Thankfully it would like a charm and cleared me completely with almost literally no scaring or discolouration (YAY!). Recently, however, I've been struck with another case of acne, nowhere similar to the old case. Here is a pic of me before accutane:

255057_230869256923833_844768_n.jpg

And after accutane:

482940_10151209738437148_2013826312_n.jp

And what my current skin condition is:

side1.jpg

Obviously this is a bit disheartening considering the success I had with Accutane. Even though the acne seems very mild, it's very red and VERY persistant, sometimes taking over a month for one to disappear.

My daily process consists of washing my face in the morning with a face wash containing salicylic acid in it (I recently have switched and its almost seemed to help a bit).

face+wash.jpg

I think put on this moisturizer:

Picture-31.png

And that's it, repeat at night before bed. I've tried the following:

- switching my moisturizer to cetaphil (which I used to keep away dryness during accutane treatment).

- taking vitamin A and D (this feels as if it may be helping but I'm not entirely sure but I'll keep it up just for good health reasons).

- Applying benzoyl peroxide before bed on problem areas (drys my skin and seems to make my acne worse, even if I continue for a month it still doesn't improve).

You can imagine the other things I do regularily, like wash my bed sheets etc just from previously having acne and my my diet is very simple and clean, rice, chicken, veggies, nothing crazy.

I literally have no idea what to do and I currently have no access to a doctor or to accutane. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@hockeyfan99)

Posted : 03/31/2014 4:08 am

Honestly I don't know your age but around 18-20 your body grows again. So you could be going through a kind of puberty again.

I don't know what else it could be cause you say you eat healthy.

Maybe try to see a derm again. You could be having a breakout from the stuff you use as well

Plus your acne doesn't look bad either

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 03/31/2014 7:28 am

Yeah ask you deem- but looking at the picture of your issue, is their a correlation between shaving and the acne?

MemberMember
(@pentanone)

Posted : 03/31/2014 11:35 am

I'm 20, and honestly, my facial hair is just starting to come in so puberty makes sense but that would really suck. I have looked into wether it was shaving or not by trying to not shave, using a fresh razor each time, switching shaving gels, applying aftershave to see if it would reduce it (if it were to be razor bumps) be razor bumps but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Honestly I don't know your age but around 18-20 your body grows again. So you could be going through a kind of puberty again.

Maybe try to see a derm again. You could be having a breakout from the stuff you use as well

MemberMember
(@hockeyfan99)

Posted : 03/31/2014 3:34 pm

I'm 20, and honestly, my facial hair is just starting to come in so puberty makes sense but that would really suck. I have looked into wether it was shaving or not by trying to not shave, using a fresh razor each time, switching shaving gels, applying aftershave to see if it would reduce it (if it were to be razor bumps) be razor bumps but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I know it doesn't look bad but it WAS bad in high school and I already went through all the emotional trauma over acne and went through 6 months of successful accutane treatment, it reallllllyyy hurts my self esteem to be back to having acne (regardless of how bad it is) again. And it may not look bad but its very red and VERY persistent so it's not like it's healing quickly or anything.

Yeah fair enough around 18-19 your body starts to change again which means most likely hormones.

Also if you don't do this already use an electric shaver for your facial hair on your head and use a razor for neck hair. I find the electrical razor is very useful for my skin and try to shave almost everyday.

MemberMember
(@pentanone)

Posted : 03/31/2014 8:32 pm

Also, I know it doesn't look bad but it WAS bad in high school and I already went through all the emotional trauma over acne and went through 6 months of successful accutane treatment, it reallllllyyy hurts my self esteem to be back to having acne (regardless of how bad it is) again. And it may not look bad but its very red and VERY persistent so it's not like it's healing quickly or anything.

Yeah fair enough around 18-19 your body starts to change again which means most likely hormones.

Also if you don't do this already use an electric shaver for your facial hair on your head and use a razor for neck hair. I find the electrical razor is very useful for my skin and try to shave almost everyday.

Is using an electric razor good for reducing acne caused from shaving. I shave very frequently and it is only for whatever reason on the areas I shave but I had tried using fresh razors each shave but maybe that doesn't help.

MemberMember
(@hockeyfan99)

Posted : 03/31/2014 10:45 pm

Is using an electric razor good for reducing acne caused from shaving. I shave very frequently and it is only for whatever reason on the areas I shave but I had tried using fresh razors each shave but maybe that doesn't help.

I find that it does help for me personally anyways. Usually for neck hair I have to be extremely careful with the razor cause my skin is sensitive. If I do it on my fical hair I get a bad look rash with bumps that look like pimples.

I don't shave my neck hair everyday. Usually on Friday because I am going to a party or hanging with friends. I shave everyday or everyday other day for my facial hair though because of sweat from sports.

Drink a lot of water to. I find water extremely helpful

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 03/31/2014 11:25 pm

That acne is identical to what I had when I used a normal gillette razor. I switched to electric and maintain stubble (I use a Philips Norelco), no more irritation.

It would end up being a couple of very small ingrown hairs that would end up spreading terribly.

MemberMember
(@pentanone)

Posted : 04/01/2014 12:15 am

That acne is identical to what I had when I used a normal gillette razor. I switched to electric and maintain stubble (I use a Philips Norelco), no more irritation.

It would end up being a couple of very small ingrown hairs that would end up spreading terribly.

I dont see any visible signs of ingrown hairs or anything though. I dunno, I guess it's worth the try.

MemberMember
(@polishedvent)

Posted : 04/02/2014 11:26 pm

LOL The come back of the acne after a success is really disheartening I feel you bro. How often do you shave? If your facial hair is pretty fast to grow then you have to shave at most everyday. Coz when you let it grow long when you shave it causes more irritation. And irritation = Acne. I won't recommend using a shaving cream coz most of them contain ingredients which irritate the skin. Use A gentle cleanser as shaving cream. Then shave along your hair line. Which is downwards to avoid irrtation. Also I would recommend using a cleanser that would just clean. It doesn't have to contain chemicals or salicylic acid or AHA or BHA whatsoever. It basically just have to clean nothing more or less. I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Also why don't you check out the regimen and follow it strictly. Worked for me :>

MemberMember
(@pentanone)

Posted : 05/12/2014 4:01 am

So about a month of shaving with the electric razor didn't really change much acne wise. I do like it better though to be honest. My skin is actually a bit worse than above but I think that's because I ran out of my regular moisturizer and the replacement isn't really doing it's thing. I'm at a loss for what to do next. I tried a sulfur based cream and it was really helping till I washed my bed sheets and discovered that everything contained the smell so I quit that and once I quit it my face dried up soooo bad.

LOL The come back of the acne after a success is really disheartening I feel you bro. How often do you shave? If your facial hair is pretty fast to grow then you have to shave at most everyday. Coz when you let it grow long when you shave it causes more irritation. And irritation = Acne. I won't recommend using a shaving cream coz most of them contain ingredients which irritate the skin. Use A gentle cleanser as shaving cream. Then shave along your hair line. Which is downwards to avoid irrtation. Also I would recommend using a cleanser that would just clean. It doesn't have to contain chemicals or salicylic acid or AHA or BHA whatsoever. It basically just have to clean nothing more or less. I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Also why don't you check out the regimen and follow it strictly. Worked for me :>