Notifications
Clear all

Outbreak At 5 Weeks

MemberMember
(@paulwoodhouse)

Posted : 03/30/2014 12:03 pm

Hi there

I'm a 31yr old male and the dermatologist has me on Isotretinoin to cure some acne on my back and shoulders that i've had for quite a long time. It's had the added bonus of clearing up my face where I've still been getting small amounts of spots.

I'm just starting week 5 of the full dose - 60mg a day, with 5 more weeks to go of this course. From starting the treatment everything has been great spot wise, i've seen a massive improvement, they are nearly completely gone... until 48hrs ago when i've started getting spots on my face and neck, worse than it ever was before I started treatment, my back seems unaffected.

I've had the usual symptoms of dry skin, dry lips and dry nose. Using E45 cream for my skin and lip barm on my lips, annoying but tollerable.

My question I suppose is, is this normal and temporary? will they subside after a few days?

Cheers

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/31/2014 12:17 pm

Yes, it's normal to see a flare-up of acne after a few weeks on isotretinoin. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is a rather common side-effect and should start getting better in a week or so. If it becomes very painful or severe, talk to your dermatologist. He or she may be able to prescribe additional medication to reduce the severity of the initial breakout. For most people, however, it improves on it's own. It may take a week or so though, so have patience. Good luck! :)