Notifications
Clear all

Does Mineral Powder Enhance Fine Lines?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/29/2014 8:46 am

I've read comments by people in their 50's who rave about loose mineral-powder foundation, as well as those by people in their 30's who gripe that it makes fine lines look worse.

I turn 38 soon and, so, have some fine lines on my face. I don't want to accentuate them but also am very curious about trying a loose mineral-powder foundation. Is mineral powder a bad idea for someone who has even fine lines? And is matte mineral powder--like this product: http://www.bareescentuals.com/Large-Matte-Spf-15-Foundation---Medium-Beige/USmastermatte,default,pd.html --even worse in terms of accentuating lines?

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/29/2014 2:04 pm

All powders tend to enhance fine lines in comparison to liquid foundation.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/29/2014 10:19 pm

All powders tend to enhance fine lines in comparison to liquid foundation.

*sigh* I feared that would be the case, despite what some older makeup wearers have stated on other sites. So either I try wearing a minimal amount of mineral powder--i.e., apply it to specific areas, rather than to my entire face--or I begin a genuine search for an oil-free liquid foundation that doesn't cause me too much hardship.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/30/2014 1:17 am

honestly I wouldn't worry about oil free as most oils in makeup don't cause breakouts or irritation because they are usually non-comedogenic. Just check them on cosdna.com.

What do are your skin concerns and what do you want to cover?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/30/2014 8:18 am

honestly I wouldn't worry about oil free as most oils in makeup don't cause breakouts or irritation because they are usually non-comedogenic. Just check them on cosdna.com.

What do are your skin concerns and what do you want to cover?

Thank you for telling me about the cosDNA website. :)

My daily skin concerns are clogged pores (which improve if I use Azelaic acid twice daily), oily skin, scars (mostly rolling, though I've a deep boxcar one), and overall splotchiness from long-ago breakouts that never seem to heal.

My intermittent skin concern is nodulocystic acne, which I tend to get if I eat the "wrong" foods. (I believe it's a hormonal reaction, since dairy is the largest offender.)

And, as I've mentioned, I'm of an age at which fine lines are at play, as well. Bah.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/30/2014 1:40 pm

Okay.

Hazelnut oil is really good for stopping oiliness and clearing/preventing clogged pores! Saved my nose! and it cost me 4 from the supermarket.

I would say nars sheer glow would probably work well for you (it's actually demi matte not glowy) or chanel vitalumiere aqua (its water based). if you wanted a cheap alternative to the sheer glow, revlon colour stay is quite good.

I would personally just use a tiny bit of foundation where you need it and then a mineral powder over the top (then you can get away with a matte one).. just make sure it doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/30/2014 10:09 pm

Hazelnut oil is really good for stopping oiliness and clearing/preventing clogged pores! Saved my nose! and it cost me £4 from the supermarket.

I've read the same thing about Hemp Seed oil. But I've also read posts of many people who swear that natural carrier oils--even those with a zero comedogenic rating--caused them horrible breakouts, so I'm leery of putting any oil on my face.

I would say nars sheer glow would probably work well for you (it's actually demi matte not glowy) or chanel vitalumiere aqua (its water based). if you wanted a cheap alternative to the sheer glow, revlon colour stay is quite good.

I'm leaning toward trying Revlon Colorstay, L'Oreal True Match and e.l.f. (possibly both the liquid and mineral foundations). Granted, I've tried L'Oreal's True Match before and had trouble finding my, well, true (color) match from its offering. :(

I would personally just use a tiny bit of foundation where you need it and then a mineral powder over the top (then you can get away with a matte one).. just make sure it doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride

I'd love to go very light with my makeup coverage; in order to do so, I must find a shade that blends with my skin tone, so that my patchy application isn't obvious. And I promise to avoid any product with Bismuth Oxychloride like the plague. ;)