Notifications
Clear all

Losing Hair Everywere. Are You Satisfied With Isotretinoin?

(@Vinponic)

Posted : 03/29/2014 2:11 am

Hello Everyone,

I started Amnesteem ( Isotretinoin Capsules USP ) 20 MG once a day. I am 6 Feet and 158 pounds, 22 years old. I am on day 15 of Isotretinoin. Starting on 3/25 my scalp became very itchy, a day later I noticed I whenever I touch my hair a few hair follicles come off. I would say I love about 20 hairs a day from my scalp. I am also losing some hair on my arms, I can easily pull out the air on my arms.

Questions:

1) If I stop today, how long will it take for my hair loss to stop?

2) If I proceed with taking Isotretinoin, is there anything I can do to reduce my hair loss, and if so what?

3) (Men Only) Are you happy that you took Isotretinoin?

4) Does anyone experience a weird detached feeling on this drug? Like you are not really here or feel emotionless? Does this go away after stopping and If I continue does it get worse?

-Thanks everyone

(@Vinponic)

Posted : 03/29/2014 3:16 am

Forgot to mention I am a Male, the forum would not let me edit my post.

MemberMember
(@iwillsurvive)

Posted : 03/29/2014 5:44 am

20 hairs a day? on average we lose over 100 hairs a day

think you're just overreacting

(@Vinponic)

Posted : 03/29/2014 1:07 pm

It is very rare for me to see any shedding at all,maybe because I keep my hair short. Now whenever I touch my hair throughout the day I see a few hairs on my hand, will it get worse if I continue?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/29/2014 2:22 pm

Sorry about your hair loss Vinponic. I experienced this too on accutane, and it eventually stopped and grew back after my course was done. I never had any arm hair loss, though. Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns? I also experienced a little bit of a detached feeling on accutane, but it was much later into my course. I sort of lost interest in interacting with people...it was a strange feeling. I went back to normal after my course, though.

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 03/29/2014 8:04 pm

STOP TAKING IT. Its been 5 months since I stopped my second course and I lose hair everyday. I never lost any hair before taking accutane. I can tell you from experience iso is not something you play around with. You're body is already showing discomfort with the drug at a very low dosage. Stop immediately.

oli girl liked
MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 03/29/2014 11:10 pm

Agreed with sunsetblvd! You are on a low dose and your starting to loose body hair on your arms. Accutane can cause Alopecia that may or may not go away after your course. Accutane is also known to disrupt hormones and vitamin deficiencies!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/04/2014 2:38 pm

Please consider this before stopping (and please discuss your concerns with your doctor, of course). Everyone sheds about 40 to 100 hairs from their scalp every single day. I don't mean to diminish your concern, but you probably were not thinking about hair-loss before taking accutane. Thusm You may be noticing the shedding of your hair simply because your concern makes you pay more attention to it.

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 04/04/2014 3:41 pm

@Vinponic

Mate, if you look back on some of my posts you will see that I was just as paranoid when I first started accutane. So paranoid that I even told my dermatologist, who told me I was crazy. I also told my barber, who laughed. I'm over it now and know more about it.

20 hairs a day is nothing, it's normal to loose up to 100 a day. And even if you are thinning due to this drug, it will grow back. There is no proof hair loss is permanent from accutane use. Your hair looks thinner / different whilst on this drug too because it's drier, going from oily to extremely dry.

Also, I'm going to tell you what my derm told me and which helped a lot. If you lose hair when you touch it, stop touching your hair.

MemberMember
(@andrewuk)

Posted : 04/04/2014 4:06 pm

It is very rare for me to see any shedding at all,maybe because I keep my hair short. Now whenever I touch my hair throughout the day I see a few hairs on my hand, will it get worse if I continue?

I'd bet you that if you didn't know hair thinning was a side effect, you wouldn't have noticed it. And if you stop to think about it for a moment, I bet you never or very rarely took noticed of your hair prior to taking accutane. Hair loss is a complicated process, if you are thinning it might be natural inherited thing for you. But at 22 years old, and 20 a day sounds like nothing to worry about to me, and as I can relate to your worry I also think that 20 is maybe an inaccurate number. Probably a lot less.

My advice, don't touch it and continue on. I doubt it will get worse, this stuff doesn't make hairs not grow. Fallen hairs will be replaced. If you loss over 100 a day then maybe worry, but other than that it's wise to carry on. I don't regret taking it, day 60-something. No regrets. 21 year old make here.

(@Vinponic)

Posted : 04/04/2014 4:37 pm

Well I have some good news since my last post. My hair loss seems to have mostly stopped. It first increased to about 50 hairs a day for 4 days and now my hair loss has almost completely stopped these last two days. I can actually run my hands through my hair and have no hair on my hands. I hope it lasts. If it comes back I will report it here.

Since the 31st I have been taking:

1. Nutrigold 1200 mg of Omega
  2. Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold 2000 IU
  3. Now Foods Iron Ferrochel 18 mg
  4. Nutrigold Biotin 5000 mcg

Shower every other day and use both of the following:

1. Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner
  2. Biolage Strengthening Conditioner ( I pour tons of it on my head ) <---------Stopped itching way better then head and shoulders but does not prevent dandruff.

I have no idea if any of the above made a difference. I purchased it all in a panic because I told myself If I kept losing hair I would stop tasking Amnessteem, and I really did not want to stop taking it.

F.Y.I I am on day 23 of Amnesteem.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/04/2014 7:24 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the biotin that stopped the hair loss. I've heard accutane inhibits biotin. I'm not sure if taking that much biotin has an effectiveness of accutane, though.