Notifications
Clear all

Help With 11 Year Old With Severe Acne

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 03/27/2014 1:47 pm

My daughter is 11 and has had severe acne on face, chest, neck, back for a while. We got it under control, I thought, for a week or two while using Apple Cider Vinegar and Neutrogena face soap. She used only 2.5% BP with it in the morning. All of a sudden her face is now the worst I have seen it! Very red, scars, deep cysts, more acne and it just looks horrible. The only thing different in the last few weeks is she used Panoxyl 10% instead of her Neutrogena because her face was starting to look bad leading to what it looks like now. I did change detergent, she tried soy milk and she did falter from her regular healthy diet due to a sleepover a few weeks ago. I have tried my best to keep her off of all milk products. She has tried everything from clindamycin, Pro Active, creams, washes, gels, etc. I am just not sure what to do at this point. I do not want her on medications because she has some serious health issues. Her body actually thinks it is 14-16 years and she is only 11 so I know it is teenage acne, but how do I deal with this with an 11 year old? Any suggestions or thoughts would help.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/27/2014 10:43 pm

This is when my acne started, it was pretty devastating. I'm so sorry your daughter has to go through this. I remember being 11 and being the only person in class with bad acne, at the time I was still a kid though, so I wasn't overly conscious about my appearance, I just paid attention to studying, and played video games whenever I had free time. Eventually though I did start to care, maybe when i was 13 or so. I knew it was hormonal almost right away, going on birth control when I was 15 made my face PERFECTLY clear, like that crazy acne that lasted for years never happened, and it stayed that way for years. It's possible your daughter is going through the same thing, though I understand there's no way you should be putting her on BC or other meds at such a young age. What you can do is try to control it for now with some topicals. Maybe consult a derm about azelaic acid, like Finacea. Also, this http://www.acne.org/garnier-pure-3-in-1-wash-scrub-mask-reviews-1662/ I'm sure it's safe to use and it has helped me a great deal and I still use it. It really works well on the marks and controlling hyperpigmentation. Another one is clay masks. Look for ones with both clay and calming ingredients say oatmeal. I like this one Freeman feeling beautiful facial clay mask (avocado and oatmeal purifying) [Edited link out] it is affordable, very mild, it smells great, and I think it helps with redness. It looks like your daughters skin is getting too dry and irritated from all the harsh anti acne ingredients, so this should help. You can also try any mask that contains clay/cucumber, thats a great combo, has worked for me. While these things won't stop hormonal acne, they will help you control the aftermath, at least they have helped me a lot. I know what your daughter is going through, I was in the same boat, so I really hope she gets better. For moisturizer try DML, it's great for acne skin because it absorbs very well and isn't greasy at all like so many lotions.

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@yellowturtle)

Posted : 03/28/2014 2:21 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry!

Vinager is a little harsh...

Try egg whites! Worked miracles for all of my family. Green tea works great, too.

Noxema Daily Scrub and Anti Blemish pads sting a bit, but they work well.

Benzoyal peroxide also works out well, but only for healing.

Changing her diet isn'st going to do anything, either.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 03/29/2014 10:30 am

Thanks. I have also noticed that her face looks worse after washing in the morning. I am very confused and really don't know how to help her and don't want to keep switching products back and forth constantly.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/29/2014 2:17 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry!

Vinager is a little harsh...

Try egg whites! Worked miracles for all of my family. Green tea works great, too.

Noxema Daily Scrub and Anti Blemish pads sting a bit, but they work well.

Benzoyal peroxide also works out well, but only for healing.

Changing her diet isn'st going to do anything, either.

This isn't true. Changing her diet could have an effect.

Boo1229, what is your daughter's diet like? Also, panoxyl has some ingredients in it which could be irritating her skin.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 03/29/2014 3:33 pm

Fruits, veggies, no milk and only eggs once a week. Only water and oj in the morning. No more chips or sweets. I am trying to find something to use and stick to in order to follow the regime.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/29/2014 6:37 pm

Fruits, veggies, no milk and only eggs once a week. Only water and oj in the morning. No more chips or sweets. I am trying to find something to use and stick to in order to follow the regime.

That sounds really good to me. A lot of people seem to have issues with citrus, though. Maybe it would be helpful to try cutting that out for a bit?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/05/2014 9:32 pm

Sorry to hear that your daughter is going through acne at such an early age. I wouldn't recommend hormonal treatments until you have tried milder things first, she might be too young for it. A few suggestions:

- Have her use filtered or distilled water to wash her face.

- Avoid cleansers with sulfates (esp. SLS)

- Have her follow a low histamine diet for a week to see if that makes an impact (sweet potatoes, green vegetables, yeast-free pita, green juices, etc)

- Limit fruits, especially acidic ones like orange juice. If she wants fruit juice, give her some blueberry or acai berry unsweetened juice (or sweeten it with honey). It's better to have more vegetables than fruits at this point due to their glycemic index.

- I use Vitamin Water Zero (pomegranate flavor) for the vitamins and as a "juice", and it seems to be helping me. That might be something to try. It contains vitamin C, zinc, niacin and other vitamins useful for acne.

- Avoid anything too acidic like apple cider vinegar. If you use apple cider vinegar every day it can disrupt the skin's natural PH. Find her a balancing, PH 5.5 cleanser to repair the skin's acid mantle. I recommend Image Ormedic cleanser, very mild and calming.

- If you have to use something after cleansing, have her use witch hazel instead, it's milder than ACV

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 04/06/2014 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone. No improvements at all. One day she will look okay and the next day is awful. Her doctor does not want her on any medication and at this point I am very desperate. Her face is scaring and looks damaged. I feel terrible for her and just want to cry. I have tried so many products and nothing is working.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/06/2014 2:18 pm

It's not going to improve within a day. You have to be patient.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 05/01/2014 12:25 pm

Sadly her face has not cleared at all. Remember she is only 11 so she gets confused, forgets or uses the wrong product. This is what we have done to date: We changed her diet, used Proactive, Clyndamycin, Clean and Clear wash and astringent, Panaoxyl, Cetaphil wash and moisturizer, BP, SeaBreeze astringent , Neurtrogena mild soap, Clay face masks, natural honey, baking soda and lemon face masks.....NOTHING NOTHING IS WORKING. I might be more frustrated than her, but she is now getting really upset about it. She cannot not be on any medications due to her medical problems and even supplements are really not good. Her former doctor wasn't very happy with the Clyndamycin because of the side effects so I cannot go back to using that either. I AM CLUELESS as to what to do. Her face is just getting worse and worse. I am spending my time researching and trying to find natural products that will work but I am tired of spending a ton of money and nothing working. My boss suggested Melaleuca because it is all natural and no harsh chemicals. Found some reviews that seem to be ok. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. I am one worried upset mom. :(

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/01/2014 10:04 pm

Sadly her face has not cleared at all. Remember she is only 11 so she gets confused, forgets or uses the wrong product. This is what we have done to date: We changed her diet, used Proactive, Clyndamycin, Clean and Clear wash and astringent, Panaoxyl, Cetaphil wash and moisturizer, BP, SeaBreeze astringent , Neurtrogena mild soap, Clay face masks, natural honey, baking soda and lemon face masks.....NOTHING NOTHING IS WORKING. I might be more frustrated than her, but she is now getting really upset about it. She cannot not be on any medications due to her medical problems and even supplements are really not good. Her former doctor wasn't very happy with the Clyndamycin because of the side effects so I cannot go back to using that either. I AM CLUELESS as to what to do. Her face is just getting worse and worse. I am spending my time researching and trying to find natural products that will work but I am tired of spending a ton of money and nothing working. My boss suggested Melaleuca because it is all natural and no harsh chemicals. Found some reviews that seem to be ok. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. I am one worried upset mom.

Can you post some photos? That might help us suggest what the problem could be. Right now, you are doing too much, and putting too much on her face. Proactive, Clyndamycin, clean and clear, and all the others you listed. That's way too much, her face is probably red all the time.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 06/19/2014 9:12 am

I have not posted an update in a couple of months. She was getting slightly better and then BAM once again it is back bad. She has followed the same regimen, Cetaphil cleanser and then benzoyl peroxide followed by moisturizer. We have not used ANYTHING ELSE. I had to take her to the pediatrician and was advised that we just have to find something that will work and let her grow out of it. She cannot be on birth control because of risks with her current medical conditions. I am just at a loss and I feel beyond terrible for her because she has to deal with way too much at only 11!!!!! That is probably the other problem is she is JUST 11. The pediatrician also advised using all natural products to see if that helps. Any suggestions for all natural? I have been researching the acne.org products and the melalueca clarity.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 06/19/2014 10:35 am

I am so so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. I have a young daughter and just pray she will not experience what I have, so I can imagine what you are dealing with. Has she had hormonal testing done? I know she is 11 but if she has a hormonal imbalance there may be an underlying cause that can be addressed. I would really suggest taking her to a good, thorough endocrinologist. If you happen to be in upstate NY I know a fantastic one, but I would check reviews in your area. I know she is only 11 but she is old enough to be experiencing hormonal changes and those should be addressed. I would honestly ask doctors about Spironolactone, as it blocks the androgens that cause acne and is very effective in women. I know she is young, but I would seriously explore that option. Good luck to you and keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/25/2014 1:25 am

WishClean is right, those Drug Store products can be very harsh. Does she use mineral makeup? That can also clog pores and lead to breakouts. I would try cutting out aggravating foods (dairy, meat and sugar), use a gentle cleanser, Josie Maran makeup, and zinc and vitamin D.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 06/25/2014 8:13 am

She was seen by an endocrinologist. Since she has entered "womanhood" there is nothing that he can do for her. She cannot be on a birth control because of her medical conditions. She is already a risk for blood clots. She does not wear makeup yet because I do not allow her to yet. We have eliminated sugars, dairy, etc. I know it is definitely hormonal, but there is not one thing that is working. The pediatrician recommended all natural products. I am looking into the melalueca clarity to give that a try. We have used all the baking soda, lemon, etc. that were suggested but that hasn't worked either. She also has body acne. I remind her and I ask her all the time to make sure she washed her face and used benzoyl peroxide. I know part of her problem is that she is probably not doing it right and following the complete steps recommended for the regimen. I am constantly on her about it which just causes arguments and hostility. She is only 11 but has the body and hormones of a 14 year old. Having a really rough time. She is now very embarrassed by her back and face and she is a swimmer too so getting in a swimsuit with her chest and back acne is really bothering her as well as her face. I am just at a loss. It really breaks my heart. I want to help her but I do not know how to!!o!!!!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/25/2014 8:55 am

I'm sorry that you're so frustrated. Something will work eventually. Have you considered trying vitamin D and zinc? What about vitex or saw palmetto? These are non-prescription items you can get at the healthfood store. See other posts for more information on the hormonal balancing of vitex and saw palmetto, as I personally haven't taken them.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 06/25/2014 8:59 am

Thanks! I just saw zinc and even omega 3. I just need to make sure that she can take zinc with her other medical conditions.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:26 pm

My daughter is 11 and has had severe acne on face, chest, neck, back for a while. We got it under control, I thought, for a week or two while using Apple Cider Vinegar and Neutrogena face soap. She used only 2.5% BP with it in the morning. All of a sudden her face is now the worst I have seen it! Very red, scars, deep cysts, more acne and it just looks horrible. The only thing different in the last few weeks is she used Panoxyl 10% instead of her Neutrogena because her face was starting to look bad leading to what it looks like now. I did change detergent, she tried soy milk and she did falter from her regular healthy diet due to a sleepover a few weeks ago. I have tried my best to keep her off of all milk products. She has tried everything from clindamycin, Pro Active, creams, washes, gels, etc. I am just not sure what to do at this point. I do not want her on medications because she has some serious health issues. Her body actually thinks it is 14-16 years and she is only 11 so I know it is teenage acne, but how do I deal with this with an 11 year old? Any suggestions or thoughts would help.

Soy is a common trigger as well as dairy. If you're going to switch milks, try Rice milk.

Sometimes acne products have other ingredients or an overall formulation that is ineffective or harmful.

If you're going to use BP, I like the Clearasil Clean & Clear 10% benzoyl peroxide (it's the 10% one in a purple squeeze tube) wash. Leave it on for 60 seconds then wash off. It has a pretty bland formulation that is unlikely to irritate skin.

Does she have symptoms of IBS? If she has IBS it can indicate an inability to process hormones and neurotransmitters correctly which could explain the early signs of puberty.

MemberMember
(@lovelyplot)

Posted : 07/09/2014 10:24 pm

Does she eat gluten? Gluten, corn or other grains can sometimes cause acne. It's best to eliminate it totally for at least 3 months. Also diluted tea tree oil helps a lot without irritation

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 08/18/2014 1:41 pm

Just an update. Nothing has changed. For a little while her face was looking really good, but we are back to breakouts. Being in school with the sun during recess and the heat here in our state is not helping. I tried honey mask last night and back to just basic routine of neutrogenia soap and benzoyl peroxide. I have learned that she has VERY sensitive skin and we need to try everything natural that we can. My daughter has portal vein hypertension which affects her liver. So anything that is a risk for her liver we can not have. My problem though is balancing between things. Like Green tea, can be good and can be dangerous for liver along with high blood pressure issue. Can't use anything from dermatologist because of liver warnings and so you see my dilemma. I have heard that hair and face go together. She seems to have a dandruff issue, maybe not getting all of the shampoo out of her hair, and I was going to use the TGel on her head until I read that it can cause Cancer on the bottle. Talk about freak me out!!! Any suggestions for her head. She has really thick, thick long hair. Remember she is only 11 but she looks 14-15 so we are in the middle of an independence battle.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 08/18/2014 3:37 pm

Is she able to try the Regimen and follow it as directed? That may help if nothing else has worked. Also, she could try Head & Shoulders shampoo for her hair and body acne. It seems some have had success with that. Or how about using sea salt or Epsom salt for face and body acne? They both seem to get good reviews and are natural.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/18/2014 4:52 pm

Any soap with glycerin has exacerbated my acne, from age 11 to present. Honey is also indicated for dry skin conditions (not acne, unless it's Manuka honey/oil, which has a tea tree effect.) Stick to a clay mask, such as Freeman Avocado and Oatmeal (usually at drugstores) or Queen Helene Mint Julep, or high quality tumeric dusted on dry over night. Soy, as mentioned, is a huge allergen for many.

It's strange that there was no success with Proactiv, but not surprising if there are known liver issues, as it's just another band aid. The topical antibiotics you've mentioned, as well as BPO, do rate as having some liver toxicity via transdermal absorption. "Natural" never means ton-toxic, but a professional can offer you guidance (herbologist, naturalist, naturopath...)

If it's within your means, I found success with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM,) which are bitter herbs dissolved in hot water that address different channels, such as liver, heart, kidney, spleen, and skin- holistically. Ayurvedic doctors know, too. Look up "herbologists" (not herbalist) in your area. A dermatologist will only try to band aid symptoms with liver-impairing drugs.

If that's not within your means, a product like *URL Removed, see board rules; http://www.acne.org/board-rules.html Acne.org Moderator Team* could be the answer for . HOWEVER! With your daughter's condition, consulting with a professional is of course vital before embarking on any self-treatment.

I do have natural topical recommendations. #1 Sulfur and Zinc soap.

MyChelle Youth Blemish Control system, Suki Oily Skin system, Eminence Clear Skin system. Unfortunately, no matter how good her topical care is, if acne isn't addressed on a systemic level, it will persist.

MemberMember
(@boo1229)

Posted : 08/19/2014 6:27 am

There is no doubt in my mind that her medical issues are causing this. She is an in utero stroke survivor as well so we are fighting two battles. The stroke caused this early onset of "things" and then her liver issues came at age 7. I am walking a fine line and trying everything I can to help her but hands are tied due to impairing medicines and such. Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into the zinc. Her doctor is suppose to call me today about a follow up and I will ask her AGAIN. Dermatology is not there forte of course but I want to confirm that going to a dermatologist would be pointless in her case. Looking at black African soap right now as well.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 08/19/2014 8:21 am

Hey so sorry to see you are struggling like this with your daughters skin, I have been looking at blue LED light and I was going to suggest it to you as you are limited to what you can use on your daughters skin. The blue light targets the acne bacteria and oxygenates it therefore killing the bacteria and stopping the formation of acne well that is what is supposed to happen. Have a quick look through this webpage where you can get a better picture

[Edited link out]

Its also great for sensitive skin this is why I am also looking into it as my skin is getting sensitive from using BP and I want to stop using it. Have a look, it is a bit pricey but if it works then it would be worth it. Any questions let me know. Oh and there is recommended home devices on the webpage too.