Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Differin Cream Or Accutane?

I'm new here and this is my first post (although I wish I found this website when I had severe acne a few years ago!)

I was on Roaccutane 3/4 years ago and was left with lovely skin up until 3 months ago when I started to get whiteheads (almost like a rash) all over my chin. Anyway, I decided to skip the GP and book an appointment with a private dermatologist who has given Differin cream. He said its basically a cream form of Accutane but said he has no problem putting me on Roaccutane again...

Just wondering if anyone has been on Differein cream before and how they got on? My skin isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be I just have a few blocked pores on my cheeks. I'm contemplating emailing my derm to ask whether he would put me on Accutane now instead of trying Differin first.

Thanks!

Hey, I went on Accutane also a few years ago, it cleared me up but the results sadly didn't last. My dermatologist then gave me Differin and Duac cream, I used both (Duac in the day & Differin at night) and they very quickly cleared me again, which made me so happy. Unfortunately, about 2 years later my acne came back and am still looking for my 3rd cure. So anyway, Differin worked wonders with me for a couple of years, I just wish it had lasted forever!

Unfortunately, it seems like no matter what any of us use, the acne always seems to come back! I was on Accutane 3yrs ago, and it came back same severity as before. But I definitely think you should go on Accutane instead of the cream. I believe acne stems from internal purposes. The best way to clear it would be from the inside-out, which would be the Accutane. It works very well. Plus, you wouldn't have to slather on a thick cream every night!

Don't let all the hype about how Accutane is deadly and you shouldn't take it. No, it's not like taking a Tylenol, but it's definitely not bad.

The choice is yours, but I think you should go with the 'Tane

Unfortunately, it seems like no matter what any of us use, the acne always seems to come back! I was on Accutane 3yrs ago, and it came back same severity as before. But I definitely think you should go on Accutane instead of the cream. I believe acne stems from internal purposes. The best way to clear it would be from the inside-out, which would be the Accutane. It works very well. Plus, you wouldn't have to slather on a thick cream every night!

Don't let all the hype about how Accutane is deadly and you shouldn't take it. No, it's not like taking a Tylenol, but it's definitely not bad.

The choice is yours, but I think you should go with the 'Tane

100% agree! The derm I saw is away for a month so I thought I would try it for a month and then go back to him. I would much prefer to go on accutane because I had no problems with it last time and it seemed to clear up my skin. It's a shame that it's coming back for a lot of people. I feel like all the feelings I experienced when my acne was severe have come flooding back, its horrible!

Hey, I went on Accutane also a few years ago, it cleared me up but the results sadly didn't last. My dermatologist then gave me Differin and Duac cream, I used both (Duac in the day & Differin at night) and they very quickly cleared me again, which made me so happy. Unfortunately, about 2 years later my acne came back and am still looking for my 3rd cure. So anyway, Differin worked wonders with me for a couple of years, I just wish it had lasted forever!

Ah! Sorry to hear that!! I hope you find something! Would you consider going back on accutane? I'm going to give Differin a try for a month and see how I get on with it - I know it takes 8-12 weeks to see any results but my sister is getting married the end of May and I'm a brides maid and I'm not feeling dry, red, spotty skin for it!! Hoping if I went on accutane it would clear me up nicely for the wedding!

Oh congrats on being a bridesmaid! I have the exact same problem actually, my sister is also getting married and I'm suppose to be her bridesmaid and I just keep thinking 'god I hope my skin clears up by then'. I do think I'll end up going back on Accutane, I've made an appointment with my GP to get a referral to see a dermatologist because I just can't handle this bad skin anymore! I'm nearly 26 and can't help but feel so annoyed that my bad skin days aren't behind me yet. I'm almost positive the dermatologist will advise Accutane and I'll probably just go for it. I don't have much faith in any other treatments (that I've heard of) to be honest. Really hope your skin clears up in time for your sister's big day, I just noticed your profile picture and you are so gorgeous anyway!

P.S I've heard really great things about drinking Rooibus tea to clear skin, I think you need to drink like 4 cups a day to have effect, but a while ago I was drinking about 3 cups a day and I began to see an improvement, I ended up going on holiday though so I've slacked off since, but I'm going to start drinking copious amounts! Just thought I'd share with you!

There was a recent report suggesting that using higher doses of Isotretinoin (the active ingredient in Accutane) are actually required for clearing severe acne and preventing relapse.

Oh congrats on being a bridesmaid! I have the exact same problem actually, my sister is also getting married and I'm suppose to be her bridesmaid and I just keep thinking 'god I hope my skin clears up by then'. I do think I'll end up going back on Accutane, I've made an appointment with my GP to get a referral to see a dermatologist because I just can't handle this bad skin anymore! I'm nearly 26 and can't help but feel so annoyed that my bad skin days aren't behind me yet. I'm almost positive the dermatologist will advise Accutane and I'll probably just go for it. I don't have much faith in any other treatments (that I've heard of) to be honest. Really hope your skin clears up in time for your sister's big day, I just noticed your profile picture and you are so gorgeous anyway!

P.S I've heard really great things about drinking Rooibus tea to clear skin, I think you need to drink like 4 cups a day to have effect, but a while ago I was drinking about 3 cups a day and I began to see an improvement, I ended up going on holiday though so I've slacked off since, but I'm going to start drinking copious amounts! Just thought I'd share with you!

Hahah I feel like I'm talking to myself! How similar are our situations! Congrats on being a bridesmaid too! Hopefully if you go on Accutane it will have cleared up by then too!! So I'm guessing you were on Accutane before? Is your skin better than it was before or just the same? My deem was pretty happy with me going back on it saying he wanted to catch any acne before it got worse which makes sense to me, I'm really hoping he doesn't tell me to wait out the 6 months on Differin!

Oo thank you! Im trying to work on my diet at the minute and just drink loads more water and take supplements etc so that's definitely something I'll look into. & thank you very much, its a suuuuper old picture!

Well if your acne is just white heads the differin should work but after so long i dont know if it will work like it did at one point at least thats how it was for me after i got off accutane. Oh and if you do get back on the accutane or diffrin try the Canada pharmacy million times cheaper if you didnt know that already ahaha good luck :D

I think you should go for differin, because honestly you don't wanna go broke for a couple of whiteheads. the Derm. Made a good choice when prescribing you Differin, but I don't know how (or why) he said that Differin is the same accutane but a cream, it is true they are both retinoids, but differin's Composition is Adapalene, meanwhile Accutane's Composition is Isotretinoin, I have tried Differin, and I think it's the best thing for exactly whiteheads, though i'd advise you to find and use it in Gel Form.

I think you should go for differin, because honestly you don't wanna go broke for a couple of whiteheads. the Derm. Made a good choice when prescribing you Differin, but I don't know how (or why) he said that Differin is the same accutane but a cream, it is true they are both retinoids, but differin's Composition is Adapalene, meanwhile Accutane's Composition is Isotretinoin, I have tried Differin, and I think it's the best thing for exactly whiteheads, though i'd advise you to find and use it in Gel Form.

Thank you for the reply! I've actually ended up going on accutane which I was kind of wanting as I got on so well with it before. I will probably use Differin after the accutane course though.. why do you say to use the gel form. I've heard a lot of people say the gel is better but just wondering why! :)

Thank you for the reply! I've actually ended up going on accutane which I was kind of wanting as I got on so well with it before. I will probably use Differin after the accutane course though.. why do you say to use the gel form. I've heard a lot of people say the gel is better but just wondering why! :)

I think you won't have to use accutane for too long then as your condition isn't too severe as it might once was , good luck with it!

It's preferrable to use gels Because Creams are more heavy on your skin , therefore not letting your pores breath, and can lead to some breakouts (though it's not confirmed) but overall I like to use gel forms because they are easier to Manage , I have this azelaic acid cream ( unfortunately there's no azelaic acid in gel forms ) and everytime I try to put it on a small zit I end up putting a ton and then if I spread it I'll look as if I had a chemical burn...