Notifications
Clear all

How Often Do You Use Retinoids?

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/25/2014 5:25 pm

Hi everyone!

As some of you might know I started with Differin to erase my scars, redness ad pih.

Howver, I was warned by some of you to proceed with caution.

My initial idea was to use it 3 times in a row and then applie a moisturizer.

Result - One week later I found myself with the face superdry and flaky.

How many times a week do you use retinoids?

If I lower the dosage it wont make any effect! (differin is already tge wekest one)

Please, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences :-)

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/25/2014 5:50 pm

4times a week. im planing on doing a dermaroll tonight on my scar, do you think its safe after using retrniol / AHA up till today ?

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/25/2014 6:10 pm

humm... retinoids and exfoliants thin the epidermis and strip of your oils. Dry skin doesnt help healing at all. How deep is your dermaroller?

Wow! 4 times a week?! How does your skin can handle that?? My skin gets often red and dry if I use it more than twice. Do you think retinols help scar appearance and/or red marks and hip?

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/26/2014 1:02 am

these are the retinols i use. and yes i use them 4times a week. my skin is usually red but it doesnt matter, i suffer from a chemical burn on my upper lip and its permanently red , so either way it doesnt matter to me.

the dermpen im using is 1mm. since im only treating around the mouth area, i dont feel that i need 1.5mm, i did use .5mm but i felt it just wasnt going anywhere.

i hve used the ROC cream for 5months and i think it did very little to the scar. maybe helped smooth it a bit, but did not help fix tone of skin.

i am using this new concealer my mom got me. it has a SPF, moisturizer and says its suppose to help wrinkles, folds, skin tone.

https://www.amazon.com/Physicians-Formula-Correction-6263-Concealer/dp/B00IASM9V2/

i bet i am the only guy who wears make up daily on here, then again, im use just on 1 spot about the size of a zit :P

post-368859-0-43669700-1395813457.jpg

post-368859-0-03013300-1395813458.jpg

post-368859-0-43669700-1395813457.jpg

post-368859-0-03013300-1395813458.jpg

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/26/2014 3:11 am

Your retinols is far better than mine!! Can.I ask you how much did you pay for it? I would be interested :)

My retinol is only 0.1 and yours is a 2% one. It's 20 times better at least!

I remeber you skullkid. I have read you're threads and saw your scar. It's somewhat deep though but it's just one scar and it should be improved a lot (maybe 95%?)

I have acne scars, ice pick ones to be more precise. I have got into differin because I hoped retinoids would fade my scars (they are unnoticeable pits however they are still red and discolored and it sucks).

What do you think about it?

If you havr just one scar dont be too worried, you will easily get rid of it. :)

How is your journey going with dermapen? Tell me your results :P

Oh, and no. I guess you are thr only guy here that wears make up ahahah

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/26/2014 3:31 am

Your retinols is far better than mine!! Can.I ask you how much did you pay for it? I would be interested

My retinol is only 0.1 and yours is a 2% one. It's 20 times better at least!

I remeber you skullkid. I have read you're threads and saw your scar. It's somewhat deep though but it's just one scar and it should be improved a lot (maybe 95%?)

I have acne scars, ice pick ones to be more precise. I have got into differin because I hoped retinoids would fade my scars (they are unnoticeable pits however they are still red and discolored and it sucks).

What do you think about it?

If you havr just one scar dont be too worried, you will easily get rid of it.

How is your journey going with dermapen? Tell me your results

Oh, and no. I guess you are thr only guy here that wears make up ahahah

ive actually gone through some thigns my dr told me and how i got the scar in the first place, i believe there is no scar anymore, its just melted dead skin from a 3rd degree burn, im going to get it cut out @_@. no more retinols or dermpen or anything.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/26/2014 8:35 am

retinol is not retin a btw and it is alot weaker than what retin a does

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/26/2014 8:42 am

you are supposed to use retinoids every night but you do have to work your way up to that. you can mix the retinoid with a moisturizer to kind of buffer it a bit when you start using it and from what my derm says it will work the same way. think of this stuff as a chemical peel in a tube but if you are trying to help scars you really want to be using retin-a and not differin.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/26/2014 10:13 am

I know leading force. Retin a is a retinol so as differin.

Thanks a lot tracy!

I mean, you answered my.question. ("Whats tge porpuse of retinoids if we dont use it everyday?)

I dont want to.improve the scar YET, just looking for a solution to deal with its redness and discoloration.

However, I only used it 3 times (in a row) and I got my skin so flaky and dehydrated. It was red unhealthy and peeling!

I just want to makr the discoloration of the scars go away :(

(why do I still havr discoloration after 12 months and my friend scar's redness disappeared soon after he got the scars?! his scars are small.ice pick but still.bigger than mine! not fare)

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 03/26/2014 12:43 pm

You guys are comparing apples and oranges... Differin contains retinoid while one from WattsBeauty is contains retinol. 0.1% Differin is a lot stronger than 2% retinol.

To answer the original post, I used 0.05% retiride cream (same thing as Renova) for about 2 weeks. I used it every day from the get-go, which was a big mistake. My skin was flaking everywhere, very red, and became super sensitive. I decided to drop it b/c it made my scars look worse within less than a week.

I realize that retin-a requires a long-term committment, but I didn't want to risk my skin getting weaker.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/26/2014 2:26 pm

Thanks aurevoir, thank you all for your helpfull answers :)

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/26/2014 5:53 pm

What's the difference between Retin-A and retinol?

Both are retinoids. They're both made from vitamin A and promote faster skin cell turnover. And they're some of the most proven, effective, and powerful options for treating skin issues ranging from acne to signs of aging.

Retinoids come in prescription form and in a range of over-the-counter products. Prescription-level retinoids fall into these groups:

• Tretinoin, including the brands Atralin, Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, and Renova
  • Tazarotene, such as the brand Tazorac
  • Adapalene, such as the brand Differin

All three groups prevent the buildup of dead cells in the skin's pores and follicles, and all three promote the growth of healthy cells. Common side effects include dryness, redness, irritation, and skin peeling as well as making skin more sensitive to the sun.

Retinol is found in many products that don't require a prescription. Retinols are much weaker than prescription retinoids. Unless vitamin A is listed as one of the top five ingredients and the product is packaged in an airtight opaque bottle, what you're getting might not be all that effective. Neither retinoids nor retinols should be used by breastfeeding or pregnant women.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/27/2014 3:02 am

Epic answer dudley! I believe you've all answered my question and this last answer was trully satisfatory. My question has been answered, thank you again everyone :D

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/27/2014 9:11 am

Hey, I use my differin .1 almost every night and have done for about 8 months. I did find that some parts of my face tolerate it better than others, the insides of my cheeks and my forehead are the most sensitive but I'm lucky that I don't have acne there. I apply it round the outside of my cheeks towards the jawline and on my chin (just a couple of nights a week as my chin is a bit sensitive too). I think you do build up a tolerance which makes it easier to apply, but I would say at least every other night to give it a chance to work. Now my acne has calmed down I usually moisturise as soon as I wash my face and then apply differin on top before I go to bed, I get much less irritation that way. At first I just washed my face, waited about ten minutes and applied the differin, followed by moisturiser where I needed it. I also think it helps if you use a really mild cleanser, like a cream cleanser instead of a soap based one. I will say that my face was a bit red and irritated for about six months until my acne reduced and everything seemed to even out from there. Stick with it....I have notice major improvements in my skin and it gets better every day. Maybe on the nights you don't apply it you could apply a good moisturiser to try and reduce the dryness until your skin gets used to the differin.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/27/2014 9:37 am

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was using differin in my whole face and I noticed some areas tolerate better than others. I still have some active acne, but my purpose using Differin was getting rid of discoloration and hyperpigmentation. I was using it specially in my acne scars to get rid of the redness. As they tend to be dryer than normal skin they were the first area that begin to peel.

I'm returning differin today, this time I'm going to use 50% differin 50% moisturizer, as tracy suggested :D

MemberMember
(@jnez)

Posted : 03/27/2014 9:40 am

Hi everyone!

As some of you might know I started with Differin to erase my scars, redness ad pih.

Howver, I was warned by some of you to proceed with caution.

My initial idea was to use it 3 times in a row and then applie a moisturizer.

Result - One week later I found myself with the face superdry and flaky.

How many times a week do you use retinoids?

If I lower the dosage it wont make any effect! (differin is already tge wekest one)

Please, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences )

I personally use mine (Retin-A 0.025%) everynight. For me it works well, my PIH has improved a ton I used to have lots of it. I never had a IB because I never had acne (Thanks to The Regimen). The biggest thing is not to quit using it.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/27/2014 11:27 am

Do you have scars?

I mean, I'm trying to fade my scars using differin. Honestly, I dont know if you consider it pih or redness but the truth is, the scars have been discoloared for more than 12 months.

My acne isnt a big deal. Maybe 1 or 2 pimples (postules) a week and small tiny heads now and then. I have a regimen but I only "use" it right when I have a big event the week after.

Damn, scars were the worst thing that ever happened to me!

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/27/2014 7:04 pm

I can order 12 - 15mg tubes of Tretinoin .1% for $71.41 + $25.00 shipping = $96.46 here.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/supatret-4178.html

Here is the complete list of choices.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=retin+a

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/28/2014 2:25 pm

Nhee, it's too expensive.

I won't use 12 15mg tubes, I just need 1, 2 tops.

Is the shipping price variable?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/28/2014 5:01 pm

Nhee, it's too expensive.

I won't use 12 15mg tubes, I just need 1, 2 tops.

Is the shipping price variable?

I believe the shipping is constant. That is why I order large quantities.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/28/2014 6:14 pm

Thats what I thought :(

I will try to.convince some people to buy it too ahahah

In the meantime I will stick to differin. I have bought it and I pretend to use it at least for a couple of months. Depending on tge results I will change treatment or not (but some of my pits are bigger than.big pores so I think.I will eventually use retin a or other more agressive treatment)

What do you think that helps mild scarring and discoloration? (small indents)

Thank you again :)

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/28/2014 10:56 pm

yep! you should dermaroll too

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/29/2014 3:47 pm

Thanks Roberito ;)

I dont have any dermaroller, but I have a special needle which can be used for this treatments. Are you talking about dermaroller 0.25 or 0.50mm?