Notifications
Clear all

I've About Had It...

MemberMember
(@bobdill)

Posted : 03/21/2014 3:43 pm

It's not question to me that acne has ruined my self-esteem and stopped me many times from doing things I normally would do. I am just flat out sick of it.

I have tried almost everything. Even nothing at all, which, most people says is bad and will make it worse, but my acne never gets better or worse when I use stuff or don't use stuff. The only time I felt like it improved some was when I used retinol, for almost a year. and even then it would come back. I'm just so tired of it and want clear skin for once in my life (I say that, but i've had it the past 6 years) though some have had it longer.. It's still frustrating. I would rather use nothing at all if possible but I feel like my diet has no affect on my acne. I've gone from healthy to not healthy and back again over and over and nothing seems to change it, in fact when I eat healthier I feel like it's worse, probably because smoothies have a lot of sugar. I don't know. Regardless, I'm willing to do almost anything at this point. Also, is it worth it to do a month facial / whatever somewhere where they clean your face? I've tried going to the Suana at the gym but I feel like my skin just gets worse a few days later after doing it.

I also have sleep apnea which I feel affects my skin, but I had surgery for that and other than that I don't know what I can do for that, not sure if that's the sole reason I have acne. But my skin does clear up in the winter time (not totally, but for the most part) so I can't figure that one out. Though my back never clears up, it always has "marks" not really pimples.

This is just so frustrating, every time I see a guy with clear skin it just makes me even more down. (I am a guy)

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/21/2014 4:53 pm

It's not question to me that acne has ruined my self-esteem and stopped me many times from doing things I normally would do. I am just flat out sick of it.

I have tried almost everything. Even nothing at all, which, most people says is bad and will make it worse, but my acne never gets better or worse when I use stuff or don't use stuff. The only time I felt like it improved some was when I used retinol, for almost a year. and even then it would come back. I'm just so tired of it and want clear skin for once in my life (I say that, but i've had it the past 6 years) though some have had it longer.. It's still frustrating. I would rather use nothing at all if possible but I feel like my diet has no affect on my acne. I've gone from healthy to not healthy and back again over and over and nothing seems to change it, in fact when I eat healthier I feel like it's worse, probably because smoothies have a lot of sugar. I don't know. Regardless, I'm willing to do almost anything at this point. Also, is it worth it to do a month facial / whatever somewhere where they clean your face? I've tried going to the Suana at the gym but I feel like my skin just gets worse a few days later after doing it.

I also have sleep apnea which I feel affects my skin, but I had surgery for that and other than that I don't know what I can do for that, not sure if that's the sole reason I have acne. But my skin does clear up in the winter time (not totally, but for the most part) so I can't figure that one out. Though my back never clears up, it always has "marks" not really pimples.

This is just so frustrating, every time I see a guy with clear skin it just makes me even more down. (I am a guy)

To clarify, did you use any prescription topicals? On average, how long did you stay with your regimens?

MemberMember
(@bobdill)

Posted : 03/21/2014 8:06 pm

To clarify, did you use any prescription topicals? On average, how long did you stay with your regimens?

I have tried one prescription I do not remember the name, was a topical, but yeah I don't know... And on average I would try stuff for 2-3 months. I don't really want to keep using all these products on my face if they aren't really going to help it and just make it worse, especially chemicals and whatnot....

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/21/2014 8:16 pm

I have tried one prescription I do not remember the name, was a topical, but yeah I don't know... And on average I would try stuff for 2-3 months. I don't really want to keep using all these products on my face if they aren't really going to help it and just make it worse, especially chemicals and whatnot....

So, you've only tried one prescription and the rest OTC--am I getting that right?

MemberMember
(@bobdill)

Posted : 03/21/2014 11:39 pm

So, you've only tried one prescription and the rest OTC--am I getting that right?

Yes that is correct, if the name was mentioned id recognize it but I can't remember off the top of my head

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/22/2014 12:36 am

Yes that is correct, if the name was mentioned id recognize it but I can't remember off the top of my head

You'll probably need to get a different prescription topical, if not use the oral route like antibiotics.

There are several retinoids, topical antibiotics, and retinoid + antibiotic combinations you can try.

MemberMember
(@bobdill)

Posted : 03/22/2014 12:52 am

You'll probably need to get a different prescription topical, if not use the oral route like antibiotics.

There are several retinoids, topical antibiotics, and retinoid + antibiotic combinations you can try.

It's just hard because I've been trying so many different things and maybe not as religiously as I should, to no avail.. I just want that clear skin like everyone else around me seems to have - which is obviously psychological cause we only notice those with clearer skin than us. But like, I even tried proactive. In fact, despite being medication free (topical) for the past 6-8 months or so, I put some of the proactive night cream on tonight. After I did a sulfar mask. I'm just so done and tired of it and having dark circles under my eyes makes it 10x worse than if I just had one or the other. There has to be a link somewhere to why I have it.

Oh. And then sunlight seems to make it worse. Which is annoying cause I'm pale as can be and rather have a slight darker look

MemberMember
(@excelfirst)

Posted : 03/22/2014 4:09 am

From what ti seems you haven't tried too many products. Sure, the products you already tried didn't work, but there's a HUGE variety that you could try until you find the one that fits your skin. And like the above person suggested above, antibiotics work wonders if you take them for a while. Antibiotics could possibly get rid of acne that have been there for ages and the creams/gels/etc. whatever your using can get rid of the newly made acne.

Don't give up just quite yet, keep trying. What works for one person, may not work for another!

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 03/22/2014 6:55 pm

Don't give up so soon. I know how frustrated you are, I've been suffering from cystic acne for years now. Continue using new products and prescription antibiotics because there are really good ones, you just need to find which one is right for you =)

MemberMember
(@delsin)

Posted : 03/23/2014 3:53 am

I hate how people give me these "I'm more superior than you" looks. It makes me so angry. Upset even. I know they're staring at my acne cause its obvious.

MemberMember
(@bobdill)

Posted : 03/23/2014 6:09 pm

From what ti seems you haven't tried too many products. Sure, the products you already tried didn't work, but there's a HUGE variety that you could try until you find the one that fits your skin. And like the above person suggested above, antibiotics work wonders if you take them for a while. Antibiotics could possibly get rid of acne that have been there for ages and the creams/gels/etc. whatever your using can get rid of the newly made acne.

Don't give up just quite yet, keep trying. What works for one person, may not work for another!

In a nutshell... I've tried

Aveeno

Proactiv

Pronexin

Neutrogena

Clearisil

Acne free

Clean and clear

Clinique

Noxzema

St Ives

Oxy

Burt's bees,

Biore

And a few random kits/brands from drug stores.

It may not be everything but I've damn tried a lot. The dermatologist one is the name I can't remember.

And this list isn't even ALL, that I've tried

Oh and some oral supplements