Notifications
Clear all

Accutane At 15

MemberMember
(@jay712)

Posted : 03/20/2014 4:19 pm

Hey, just started my first course of accutane 3 days ago. I am currently taking 40mg/day, however next month I will be alternating 40 and 80mgs each day.

I've been suffering with acne for about 2 years. I am now 15. My dad and sister both had terrible acne and my sisters was such a bother that she ended up taking accutane herself, it worked great for her.

My biggest concern is growth, right now I am 5'10, and my older brother is 6'1 he was close to finished growing at my age which is unusual in my family. I am following a growth pattern similar to my fathers. Height matters greatly to me as I play basketball at a very high level.

I come from an freakishly strong family with a few pro athletes and lots of exceptional athletes. My size and strength is very important for myself and my future.

So now that you know my life story, has anyone continued to grow after accutane, or had their growth stunted? (not living up to genetic potential)

Thanks for any responses

Also please don't blame accutane for making you short if your parents were both short too. :)

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 03/24/2014 5:49 am

At such a young age, it's most likely that you stop growing with accutane, i'm sorry. You can search the forum and find some post talking about this subject...

MemberMember
(@jay712)

Posted : 03/25/2014 8:23 pm

Thanks for the response! Did you experience this yourself or..?

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 04/05/2014 1:17 pm

I was worried about this topic too. I started accutane when I was 14, I turned 15 during my course and I took it for almost 6 months. I finished my course 5 months ago and I've grown about 1cm since then. I'm pretty sure the drug hasn't affected my growth.

I think you need to decide what's most important to you. For me, I would rather be 30cm tall and have beautiful skin than be lovely and tall but with the awful skin I used to have. But if your height really is important to you then maybe you'll have a different opinion. Of course, you may be lucky like me and your growth won't be affected but it's definitely a risk you should think about.

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck :)

MemberMember
(@jay712)

Posted : 04/12/2014 10:07 pm

Thanks! I decided to hold off until I'm a bit taller.