Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John73

Moisturize. Yes, Even Guys.

Just turned 41 and have been battling acne all adulthood and have not tried everything...but certainly lots of things. One thing I never did was use a moisturizer. I figured my face was too oily and actually had 2 dermatologists tell me not to bother with it.

After a very uncessful attempt at Tazorac (going 14 weeks) I went to an esthetician for a facial and advice. She got me to buy some fancy skin care line (Eminence) and explained how important moisturizing is. Without the proper moisture my skin was freaking out after I was making it dry (washing and BP) then producing too much oil which was leading to the breakouts. Makes sense I guess.

I wash, then use BP then apply the moisturizer. My skin feels slightly less dry than normal...and still gets a little oily by the end of the day, but it must be doing something because I am not getting the breakouts. I am now kicking myself for not trying moisturizer earlier (even though lots of people on this site swear by it).

So this is a note to myself 10+ years ago (or a guy reading this who still hasn't tried it). Start moisturizing. Now. I don't think it is the miracle cure...but it certainly seems to be making a difference for me.

You are so correct. I am 46 and female and for years I would moisturize when it was safe then drop whole thing then back later again moisturize. If only we knew then what we know now. Moisturizing is actually a "helper" when having a breakout as well ast overall necessary. Dry acne takes longer to heal and absorbs more bacteria.