Notifications
Clear all

I Still Have Dry And Flaky Skin!

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/19/2014 8:28 pm

I've been on the regimen for probably 6 or 7 weeks now and my skin has been super dry and flaky the entire time. My Skin is naturally oily though, so my t zone is always becomes oily and looks shiny after time; the rest of my face (mouth and chin area and some of cheeks) is dry and flaky. I do the regimen twice a day, but now I only apply BP at night because of dryness. Moisturizer doesn't even seem to help the dryness. After I cleanse and let my face dry, it gets super dry, tight and flaky. I've been using AHA+ for about a week now too and only slightly helps the dryness and flakyness. People say to use jojoba oil, but I can't have my face look all oily and shiny during the day while I'm at school and out. WHAT SHOULD I DO!? I'm feeling so down, like I'm trapped in this endless cycle of acne. I'm still not totally clear, still getting pimples, but not as bad as before. Anyways, please help with this dryness problem. Again, i cant have my skin look oily or shiny in the daytime, but i can at night. What should I do?!!?

Caseyjjj and sdpinkas liked
MemberMember
(@sdpinkas)

Posted : 03/19/2014 9:33 pm

Use jojoba oil! You don't need to use so much that your face is wet/oily! Using less than a dime size amount should do the trick, and it'll softly absorb into your skin. Test out to see what amount is right for you, and keep adding until you feel that your face is moisturized enough. If you really can't stand to use it during the day, apply it at night! Use it as an intensive night masque, or even leave it on for an hour before you go to bed, and then cleanse your skin. But honestly, if moisturizer isn't working, you NEED Jojoba to rebalance your skin and help it produce the right amount of oil on its own.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/19/2014 9:46 pm

Use jojoba oil! You don't need to use so much that your face is wet/oily! Using less than a dime size amount should do the trick, and it'll softly absorb into your skin. Test out to see what amount is right for you, and keep adding until you feel that your face is moisturized enough. If you really can't stand to use it during the day, apply it at night! Use it as an intensive night masque, or even leave it on for an hour before you go to bed, and then cleanse your skin. But honestly, if moisturizer isn't working, you NEED Jojoba to rebalance your skin and help it produce the right amount of oil on its own.

Thanks, everywhere i see about questions like this, people say to use jojoba oil, but im sure it will just make me look all oily :/ And, would my skin me considered combination, because i have an oily t zone, and (right now, atleast) dry for atleast the bottom half of my face? Also, should i exfoliate to get off the dead dry skin and flakes? I mean, it feels like there is just a thick layer of dead and dry skin on top of half my face... its horrible :/ what should i do with that?

sdpinkas liked
MemberMember
(@sdpinkas)

Posted : 03/20/2014 6:02 am

Thanks, everywhere i see about questions like this, people say to use jojoba oil, but im sure it will just make me look all oily :/ And, would my skin me considered combination, because i have an oily t zone, and (right now, atleast) dry for atleast the bottom half of my face? Also, should i exfoliate to get off the dead dry skin and flakes? I mean, it feels like there is just a thick layer of dead and dry skin on top of half my face... its horrible :/ what should i do with that?

From what is sounds like, yes you have combination skin. Which is more common than normal or dry/normal. Personally, I have dry/normal skin, and it's very difficult to find products that give me the right amount of moisture without looking shiny/oily (because i tend to use a lot for my dry skin).

The best solution to those dry flaky patches is to leave them alone, causing any irritation by scrubbing/exfoliating will without a doubt cause more acne. However, if you have to exfoliate, use a facial brush (less than $5 at dollar general) or a clairsonic, and gently move it in circles over the affected area for 10 sec or less, so that you are not scrubbing, but just helping the dead skin fall off. Do this in the shower, as the steam will help add some moisture back into the skin and open up your pores. I know that feeling of "thick layer of dry skin", but honestly, DO NOT scrub hard. Just let it do its thing. That's why jojoba oil is so good. It helps retrain your skin to produce the right amount of oil for it.

But if you don't have a facial brush, just keep applying moisturizer. As much as you feel you can tolerate. Hydrating your skin will help it stop flaking, so drink lots of water!

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/20/2014 1:18 pm

I have never used jojoba oil myself but a lot of people seem to really like it so it might be worth a try. My daughter had great results using borage oil as a moisturizer at the start of using the Regimen. Don't be disheartened if you are still getting pimples, she was breaking out until 3 months of use and then things improved dramatically.

Otherwise I agree that you want to be gentle with your skin and not use any scrubs or harsh exfoliants. I think a facial brush or clarisonic may be too harsh and just irritate your skin even more. Maybe try a different moisturizer that is oil free as your moisturizer shouldn't make your skin so shiny. I like one by Marcelle that has vitamin C in it and is mattifying. I'm not sure where you live but if you are in Canada it is available at Shopper's Drug Mart. There is also a good one that is from Paula's Choice (hydro light) that is available online.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@wonderfulyawl)

Posted : 04/10/2014 2:08 am

I have been using these products for three years and I still get "phases" where I get exactly all of the symptoms you described! The Tightness, oil sits on top without absorbing, and dry awful flakes, dead skin sitting on top that I can scrape off. Its awful. All I can say is you have to keep retraining your skin. If there is dead skin you need to remove it or else the moisturizer wont absorb! I put jojoba oil on my face before washing and just rub and rub away gently without pressing hard. Then wash the oil of with the cleanser and do the normal regimen. I figured out that other than a mask, overdoing the jojoba oil and moisturizer didnt help because your skin just rejects it. Its better to let your skin start creating its own internal oils to get that nice glowy look instead of the dead skin thing. I sometimes reduce the amount of BP for a little while and then work up again, or just skip BP one morning if im having an especially dry day, and just wash and moisturize. Work with your skin and retrain it :) Its hard though. If I find a permanent solution Ill let you know!

MemberMember
(@samoswit)

Posted : 06/26/2014 1:36 pm

thanx shreyas24 for sharing this great info

MemberMember
(@madiesc)

Posted : 07/29/2014 10:46 am

I'm having the same problem. I'm on week 9, and for a few weeks at the beginning I was so dry and flaky, but then it got a lot better. Now its back, and is as bad, if not worse, than at the beginning. My skin is dry from the moment i rinse the face wash, and in the mornings after i get out of bed i have so many flakes it's unbelievable. Plus it burns and itches badly. Im going to give the jojoba oil a go and see how it goes... I'll let you know what it does to my skin!

MemberMember
(@estheticsmama)

Posted : 08/06/2014 8:27 am

If the skin is dry in some areas and fine in others you need to treat the two areas separately. Keep both clean and moisturized but only use the heavier products in the oily areas. Use something more drying like tea tree oil on the oily areas only and avoid the dry areas with that specific product. The key is to find balance in combination skin and sometimes it is the hardest skin to deal with. Keep skin exfoliated with an enzyme mask rather than a scrub.

MemberMember
(@matildam)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:26 am

My skin feels so plump and dewy after the Skin Define Lactic Acid peel! I love doing one a few hours before I go out as my skin is just glowing!

MemberMember
(@matildam)

Posted : 11/01/2014 9:27 am

My skin feels so plump and dewy after the Skin Define Lactic Acid peel! I love doing one a few hours before I go out as my skin is just glowing!

MemberMember
(@anushpetrosyan4-gmail-com)

Posted : 11/05/2015 6:05 pm

I used the regimen for a month. And have stopped using it for three weeks not. But my skin is still extremely dry and flaky. Especially around my mouth and chin area. It is really irritating and hurts. I have used moisturizer all the time and still do. I want to know if this is normal. What can I do to make this process end. I don't want to use it anymore

MemberMember
(@caseyjjj)

Posted : 11/10/2015 10:48 pm

I'm in the exact same position as you! I'm on my sixth week of the regimen and I am veryyyy dry. My chin is so flaky and and my face just feels extremely tight. Just keep using AHA and don't lose hope! Also, don't let acne run your life. I know where you're coming from when you say it's all you think about at school but trust me! Just keep up the regimen and in a couple more weeks you'll be flawless! I hope your journey with the regimen goes well :)