Notifications
Clear all

Saliva Hormone Test Results High Testosterone Low Progesterone (Need Help!)

MemberMember
(@daze123)

Posted : 03/19/2014 4:32 pm

Hello Everybody!

My name is Daisy. I am a 23 year old female with supposedly hormonal acne. I recently took saliva hormonal test and it seems as if my hormones are off. I will post my result. If anybody could give me some feedback, it would definitely be useful. It says that my testosterone levels are high and my progesterone levels are low. My stress hormones are higher than normal also. I've always wanted to take herbal tea and supplements for my acne because i choose not to take any pharmaceutical alternatives. Well, i've done some research but i'm still a bit confused but here are some herbs i thought that may help me out.

-Spearmint Tea (For anti-androgen)

-Vitex Extract

-Ashwaghanda Tea (For stress!)

-Dandelion Tea

These are just a few. What do you think about these?

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 03/20/2014 11:21 am

Hey Daisy, welcome to the forums! (:

I've been in the same position as you and have cleared my skin, so it is possible! I had low progesterone and high androgens (testosterone) as well You can read my story here. Natural progesterone cream and DIM cleared me up 100% but there are other options out there that can work too. Here's a quick run-down on some natural options and what you're considering:

Natural progesterone cream is just that natural progesterone in a cream. You apply it topically like a lotion anywhere on the body either from days 12-28 of your cycle or daily throughout your cycle, depending on what works for you. I used NPC daily for over a year and it improved many aspects of my health along with clearing most of my acne.

DIM is an anti-androgen and also supports healthy estrogen metabolism. It raises levels of 16-hydroxy (good) estrogens while lowering 2-hydroxy (harmful) estrogens which are potentially carcinogenic.

Saw Palmetto is also a natural anti-androgen. I haven't tried it personally, but there are people out there who have used it successfully. From what I understand, it can be somewhat estrogenic as well.

Spearmint tea has shown in studies to improve hirsutism, but I have not seen any studies nor anecdotes on it improving acne. I have personally drank it on a daily basis but saw no improvement.

Vitex helps with progesterone as well as reducing prolactin levels. Most sources say to only use vitex short term (no longer than 6 months at a time) but there are German studies suggesting it is totally safe long term. Again, some have found success with this while others haven't.

Vitamin D is important for regulation of hormones, and even people who get plenty of sun can still be deficient. I have seen quite a few stories of people's acne clearing on vitamin D alone, so it's important to make sure you are getting enough.

Inositol is an unofficial B vitamin which some have had success with. is WishClean's topic on the subject. She lists the benefits in the first post, like inositol's ability to lower testosterone... she saw dramatic results in her skin.

I don't know anything about Ashwaghanda. From what I understand, Dandelion tea helps with the liver and gallbladder, but doesn't have much effect on hormones... I don't see any harm in drinking these teas, but I wouldn't expect much improvement in your skin from them.

Anyway, I hope that helps clarify some options! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask... this forum is full of nice, helpful people. Also, with any hormonal treatment it takes time to see results... It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to see improvement, so please be patient! Good luck, and I wish you the best! (:

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 03/21/2014 3:02 pm

Hey Daisy! I have also hormonal imbalance, though i havent tested the hormones for years. From my experience only the pill kept me clear. Now that i cannot take it any longer i turned to more natural ways. I did a lot of search on the net for the supplements that would do the same job to the pill i was taking. I checked its consistency on the net to clarify about the supplements. I combine saw palmetto with vitex. I was only on sp for three months, but i found that it is more effective to combine it with vitex. Both together regulate all categories of hormones. Hearts above has made good points. I just dont like to have to take too many supplements. So it is sp+vitex for me, and after 4 months i think some progress is happening. At least my pms is better, and my face pimple free for 12 days. NOTE supplements take time to work. Whatever you choose, give it time

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/21/2014 4:08 pm

Hello Everybody!

My name is Daisy. I am a 23 year old female with supposedly hormonal acne. I recently took saliva hormonal test and it seems as if my hormones are off. I will post my result. If anybody could give me some feedback, it would definitely be useful. It says that my testosterone levels are high and my progesterone levels are low. My stress hormones are higher than normal also. I've always wanted to take herbal tea and supplements for my acne because i choose not to take any pharmaceutical alternatives. Well, i've done some research but i'm still a bit confused but here are some herbs i thought that may help me out.

-Spearmint Tea (For anti-androgen)

-Vitex Extract

-Ashwaghanda Tea (For stress!)

-Dandelion Tea

These are just a few. What do you think about these?

I really doubt you have a progesterone "deficiency", because progesterone can varies simply due to the stages of the menstrual cycle. Same goes with "estrogen dominance".

What's up with the calculations on the first picture? Specifically, the "high androgens/cortisol" and "low androgens/cortisol" part?