Notifications
Clear all

Will Co2 Mixto Help These Scars? (Pics Included) Please Help!

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/18/2014 6:35 pm

Will mixto help my scars at all l, or are my scars too severe. I'm looking to get one treatment, I'm not looking to get porcelain skin or anything just looking for pretty good improvement. Thanks!

post-168093-0-10046100-1395185696_thumb.

post-168093-0-35068700-1395185717_thumb.

post-168093-0-10046100-1395185696_thumb.

post-168093-0-35068700-1395185717_thumb.

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 03/18/2014 7:09 pm

Hey there.

I don't know much about treatments myself, but i have some advice that might help you in the short term. Redness in scars make them look far worse and deeper than they actually are, and I know this from experience. Redness usually goes mostly away over time but there are things that help speed the process along.

Also i found that when my scars were still very red that a small bit of tinted moisturizer improved their appearance hugely while still being very discreet. I was only ever called out on using it once, and that was because i hadn't rubbed it in properly.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/18/2014 7:46 pm

honestly, you wont be that satisifed with mixto co2 fractional for those scars. They will be softened but the indentations will always be apparant and you will have a change in pigment most likely. I suggest if you are going to go the laser route do Scaar FX. Make sure your pre and post care is perfect to avoid hyper pigmentation. You should do subcision before it as well.

No dont waste your time with mixto. Do subscion and scaar FX

i just re-read you only want to do 1 treatment. THEN for sure do not touch mixto. You will hardly notice any improvement. Scaar FX by lumenis goes deep and needs only 1 treatment. mixto would need 5 and its not even that good.

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/18/2014 9:32 pm

Mixto is an ablative co2 laser, why would I need 5? Also, I plan on having subscision done the before laser. Keep in mind the angle of these pics were the worst I could find in the worst possible lighting.

Any more input?

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/18/2014 9:57 pm

What ethnicity are you?

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/18/2014 11:10 pm

I'm Hispanic, I do understand the issues that come along with having a little darker skin, but I do feel the rewards outweigh the risks. I just gotta stay positive about the whole situation and know that it will get better.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 2:59 am

Yeah if you have the money I would do:

1. Subcision + Mixto for 6 treatments

2. 5 treatments of enerjet

3. Strategic beard hair transplants on your worst scars

Mixto should work, but it really comes down to your wound healing genetics. After every Mixto session I would recommend you to use LED lights on the skin until it scabs (2-3 days). There are many scientific journals out there that show how beneficial LED lights are in the initial wound healing phase. Meanwhile, I would wear a tinted moisturizer (has sunscreen in them) so your red marks look less obvious...your skin will look more even.

Fraxel Repair is better than Mixto, but it can't be used in dark skinned patients.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 03/19/2014 4:56 am

If a doctor is telling you that one treatment of Mixto will provide you good improvement, I would turn and walk away. For one thing, no doctor can guarantee your scars will even respond to laser treatment.

Your scars didn't form in a day, and will require multiple, aggressive laser treatments for good improvement, even if you were using a deep, pulsed light laser at experienced hands. Mixto is not a deep laser. Mixto is a continuous light, shallow laser. Traditional CO2 is a continuous light laser, which makes the technology quite old. From Mixto, at most, you might see improvement to discoloration, softening of the skin, and some temporary skin tightening after one treatment. To get decent results, you would need 4-6 aggressive treatments. Why put yourself through that when a deep laser could provide more improvement in 2-3 sessions?

SCAAR FX is not intended for facial acne scars. It would be dangerous to use on your face. It is intended for thick, burn scars. It is also highly unlikely that (a) you will find a doctor with SCAAR FX and (b) find a doctor that would be willing to use it on your acne scars. SCAAR FX is simply a software update to Deep FX, which is widely used on acne scars and produces nice results. Even with Deep FX, you would require multiple treatments. I have done it three times, and have had amazing results. If you look at my gallery or my Total FX thread, you can see some before and after photos.

Being in Los Angeles, you have access to a large pool of talented doctors, as well as the most advanced technology in terms of lasers. I would go on as many consultations as possible to find the right doctor for you. Based on the doctors that I consulted with, I found very few that would combine subcision & laser with my kind of scarring, and only one that was willing to do it on my scars but my scars were quite shallow when I started to look into subcision. There is a risk of making shallow scars worse with subcision. Depending on the depth and the borders of your scars, subcision may not make sense.

As far as I know, Enerjet is not available in the United States. The technology is also still very new. I have not seen any studies that show Enerjet provides permanent improvement to acne scars. I find the technology interesting though and know some members claim improvement but they are currently undergoing treatment. It will be interesting to see where they are 1-3 years after their final treatment. I know one member had the treatment more than a year ago, and saw no real improvement.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:56 am

There is no "One and Done" treatment! Fraxel Re:pair and DeepFX are the only lasers that will take you where you want to go, and you will need at least 5 treatments at high settings or you will not be satisfied. You might experience pigmentation issues so choose your doctor wisely. Any doctor will sell you what he has on the shelf so research the laser first and then find the doctor.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/19/2014 6:31 am

There is no "One and Done" treatment! Fraxel Re:pair and DeepFX are the only lasers that will take you where you want to go, and you will need at least 5 treatments at high settings or you will not be satisfied. You might experience pigmentation issues so choose your doctor wisely. Any doctor will sell you what he has on the shelf so research the laser first and then find the doctor.

Scaar FX is a 1 and done..2 at most. I'm not fan of fraxel-repair. for every good case I see 8 bad ones. ( as it relates to acne scars and its mediiocre results)

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 03/19/2014 6:32 am

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/19/2014 6:33 am

If a doctor is telling you that one treatment of Mixto will provide you good improvement, I would turn and walk away. For one thing, no doctor can guarantee your scars will even respond to laser treatment.

Your scars didn't form in a day, and will require multiple, aggressive laser treatments for good improvement, even if you were using a deep, pulsed light laser at experienced hands. Mixto is not a deep laser. Mixto is a continuous light, shallow laser. Traditional CO2 is a continuous light laser, which makes the technology quite old. From Mixto, at most, you might see improvement to discoloration, softening of the skin, and some temporary skin tightening after one treatment. To get decent results, you would need 4-6 aggressive treatments. Why put yourself through that when a deep laser could provide more improvement in 2-3 sessions?

SCAAR FX is not intended for facial acne scars. It would be dangerous to use on your face. It is intended for thick, burn scars. It is also highly unlikely that (a) you will find a doctor with SCAAR FX and (b) find a doctor that would be willing to use it on your acne scars. SCAAR FX is simply a software update to Deep FX, which is widely used on acne scars and produces nice results. Even with Deep FX, you would require multiple treatments. I have done it three times, and have had amazing results. If you look at my gallery or my Total FX thread, you can see some before and after photos.

Being in Los Angeles, you have access to a large pool of talented doctors, as well as the most advanced technology in terms of lasers. I would go on as many consultations as possible to find the right doctor for you. Based on the doctors that I consulted with, I found very few that would combine subcision & laser with my kind of scarring, and only one that was willing to do it on my scars but my scars were quite shallow when I started to look into subcision. There is a risk of making shallow scars worse with subcision. Depending on the depth and the borders of your scars, subcision may not make sense.

As far as I know, Enerjet is not available in the United States. The technology is also still very new. I have not seen any studies that show Enerjet provides permanent improvement to acne scars. I find the technology interesting though and know some members claim improvement but they are currently undergoing treatment. It will be interesting to see where they are 1-3 years after their final treatment. I know one member had the treatment more than a year ago, and saw no real improvement.

Scaar FX has been used for acne scars. its 1 and done treatment. I know because I saw a doc whos used it for all kind of scarring. Bascialy the results are a bit better but with serious downtime.

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 03/19/2014 7:55 am

dudley you have yet to shows as your wonderful resuls? about the whole picture thing i read a post that defo said you were the poster child for fraxel repair at the clinic it defo did not say the pictures where stored in some album

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 03/19/2014 8:14 am

Scaar FX has been used for acne scars. its 1 and done treatment. I know because I saw a doc whos used it for all kind of scarring. Bascialy the results are a bit better but with serious downtime.

Who is the doctor and where is he/she located? I'm just curious. I know of one doctor in SoCal who claims to be using SCAAR FX but he's only using the term. He has been promoting it since it debuted at a medical conference in Europe. Does SCAAR FX even have FDA approval for use in the USA?

When someone on this forum contacted Dr. Matteo, the one who researched and developed techniques for SCAAR FX for Lumenis, he responded saying SCAAR FX should not be used on acne scars. His reply post is still visible on the Internet. If you search this forum, I'm sure you can find it.

There are no one and done treatments for true acne scars. It gives people with scars false hope to make such a claim. SCAAR FX just penetrates deeper than Deep FX. It uses the same Deep FX hand piece. It is not a magic wand that will erase your scars. You can only hope for improvement with each treatment.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/19/2014 8:29 am

Who is the doctor and where is he/she located? I'm just curious. I know of one doctor in SoCal who claims to be using SCAAR FX but he's only using the term. He has been promoting it since it debuted at a medical conference in Europe. Does SCAAR FX even have FDA approval for use in the USA?

When someone on this forum contacted Dr. Matteo, the one who researched and developed techniques for SCAAR FX for Lumenis, he responded saying SCAAR FX should not be used on acne scars. His reply post is still visible on the Internet. If you search this forum, I'm sure you can find it.

There are no one and done treatments for true acne scars. It gives people with scars false hope to make such a claim. SCAAR FX just penetrates deeper than Deep FX. It uses the same Deep FX hand piece. It is not a magic wand that will erase your scars. You can only hope for improvement with each treatment.

http://www.viva-clinic.co.uk/treatments/scaar-fx

Anyhow, im no laser fan in general.the results are mediocre.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 03/19/2014 8:34 am

Here is the post by Matteo. Click Vimeo to read his comments on the video's page:

I don't believe Viva Clinic is using SCAAR FX on acne scars. They're using Deep FX. It would be reckless to hit an atrophic acne scar on the face at the depth of SCAAR FX (4mm), and it's totally unnecessary.

Also, the photos on Viva Clinic's site for SCAAR FX are taken from a demo video provided by Lumenis for Deep FX/Total FX treatment of acne scars. I can provide a link for that too. That patient is featured in a webinar over techniques for improving scars with Total FX using Dr. Matteo's multi layer techique.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/19/2014 8:50 am

Here is the post by Matteo. Click Vimeo to read his comments on the video's page:

I don't believe Viva Clinic is using SCAAR FX on acne scars. They're using Deep FX. It would be reckless to hit an atrophic acne scar on the face at the depth of SCAAR FX (4mm), and it's totally unnecessary.

Also, the photos on Viva Clinic's site for SCAAR FX are taken from a demo video provided by Lumenis for Deep FX/Total FX treatment of acne scars. I can provide a link for that too. That patient is featured in a webinar over techniques for improving scars with Total FX using Dr. Matteo's multi layer techique.

Okay. I myself havent touched scaar fx. However, I know of a person whom i got to know on this forum years ago who had it done recently ( spot treatment) and it worked well.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 3:36 pm

Out of interest, has anybody on the forum had this done?

Doubt it

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:11 pm

Thank you everyone for the help but yeah I wanted to do mixto because I'm a college student and low on funds. But anyways, no doctor told me that one mixto treatment would be enough, I was the one that said I only wanted one because I was low on money; however, I'm going to try and borrow some money from family and see if I can get 2 subscision+mixto treatments along with a third mixto treatment for touch up. Most of my scars are boxcar, so I do believe mixto will satisfy me. Along with the mixto and subscision I will be using a dermastamp with a 1.5 mm needle. I strongly believe that the combination of mixto and subscision does wonders for acne scars. I've seen amazing results with just two treatments so I think a third will give me very nice results. The doctor that I plan on working with also seems very credible and trustworthy, and I know that finding the correct doctor plays a vital role in diminishing scars. Those of you recommending scaar fx, thank you for the recommendation, but I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go with such an aggressive laser, I am very confident in the positive effects of the mixto laser. Thanks everyone! :D any more feedback would be much appreciated!

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:25 pm

dudley you have yet to shows as your wonderful resuls? about the whole picture thing i read a post that defo said you were the poster child for fraxel repair at the clinic it defo did not say the pictures where stored in some album

Let me make my point clear. I have been posting here since 2008, and I don't post pictures on the internet, and I don't give a flying crap if you like that or not!!! Find some other frigging crusade because you will not change me. I am not some timid 18 year old that you can intimidate into doing what you want. Believe me or not, I really don't give a crap.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 03/19/2014 11:43 pm

I think I know who you refer to when you describe the subcision + mixto combo. Mixto is more akin to doing only active fx, which is a superficial treatment. While it may be cheaper initially, the fact that you have to do more to get an appreciable improvement kind of negates any savings.

And since you are hispanic, more than likely you WILL hyperpigment for some time. That's just how it goes when you do resurfacing procedures on ethnic skin types. You must be ready for that. My thought is, if you are going to have to slog through the hyperpigmentation and downtime anyway, why not go for a more advanced laser and like Total FX.

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/20/2014 9:27 pm

Here's my scars in different light. How severe would you say they are and what kind of scarring is it. They look like boxcar scars to me. Thanks everyone for all your help btw. Anyways, I would like to keep this thread alive, if I do end up going with laser, I want to keep you all updated. :D hopefully the different combined methods I plan on using will give me a modest improvement in my scars.

post-168093-0-96405700-1395368772_thumb.

post-168093-0-95753700-1395368795_thumb.

post-168093-0-96405700-1395368772_thumb.

post-168093-0-95753700-1395368795_thumb.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 03/20/2014 9:55 pm

I think your self diagnosis is pretty much spot on. It appears that the scarring on your right cheek is moderate, not too bad. The left side is clearly your more severe side, and they are indeed more of the boxscar variety. The redness does exaggerate the depth of the scars. You might have to hit this with different approaches. You could attempt lasers, though with your dark skin definitely do a test spot and monitor that spot very closely to see if you skin can take it.

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 03/20/2014 10:06 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate all of the feedback from all of you! I really love this site and how helpful everyone is, and ill definitely do my best to post pics and update this thread as much as I can for everyone! :)