Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@leanna123)

Posted : 03/18/2014 9:16 am

I am on spironolactone 25mg/day. I take new blood tests in two days. If my blood potassium is normal I can proceed to a higher dose of spironolactone. I have noticed some oil reduction. I also use amoxicillin, cephalexin, tretinoin and benzaclin. When I run out of benzaclin I use OTC 5% benzoyl peroxide mixed with topical clindamycin which mimics ziana.

My goal is to stop taking so much antibiotics and use the hormonal treatment route like spironolactone provides. I also want to get back on an estrogen birth control pill. I still want antibiotics but just not so much. I take a really high dose of amoxicillin/cephalexin. My skin is 90% clear 90% of the time. Still I want more. Total clarity. I also want accutane but my derm doesn't think I need it.

I am also trying to exercise regularly and keep my pillow cases constantly clean. My face looks good now with a few scars. I call them battle scars from a hellish disease. Because that is what acne is, horrible.

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 03/18/2014 10:31 am

what type of bc pill is good2 get on? im on ortho tricyclen lo..is that a good one? ive only been on it a lil over a month and im also on spiro 25 mg...second month....whats ure regimen exactly? i know u said u use clindamycin/benzacyln/tretinion,etc...what order and how?

MemberMember
(@david-lortscher)

Posted : 03/21/2014 6:17 pm

OrthoTricyclen is a great one for acne. It can take 2-3 months to start seeing an effect, while the hormones become stabilized. Stick with it!

MemberMember
(@tanna23)

Posted : 05/26/2014 8:57 pm

How's the spiro working for you?

MemberMember
(@leanna123)

Posted : 05/27/2014 8:15 am

How's the spiro working for you?

The spiro is working well. Right now I am 100% clear! Knock on wood. I don't want to jinx myself...lol.. It's hard for me to know which medications are doing what since I take so darned many of them. I am also now on Ortho Tri-Cyclen.2 months in. From the dermatological journal articles I have read online, Spiro takes about six months before you see a difference in your complexion. The success rate with spiro alone is 66% of women. That number jumps to 88% when you add a birth control pill that is approved for fighting acne like Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yaz. If you're gonna try spiro I would definitely try a birth control pill as it evens out the hormones so sweetly! PEACE!

MemberMember
(@catmama)

Posted : 05/27/2014 1:54 pm

I'm happy to hear that Spiro is working great for you! I've read such great things about it from so many people on here. I was put on it and it did help those pesky cysts that were on my jawline some but unfortunately my side effects were awful and I had to quit it.

Sending you some digital cheer for clear skin!

MemberMember
(@tanna23)

Posted : 05/27/2014 9:08 pm

Thought I should ask since I noticed you changed your name :P

Good to hear you're 100% clear :) technically I am.. But only for two days. Hoping right now that it lasts FOREVER!!! For both of us.

I'm happy to hear that Spiro is working great for you! I've read such great things about it from so many people on here. I was put on it and it did help those pesky cysts that were on my jawline some but unfortunately my side effects were awful and I had to quit it.

Sending you some digital cheer for clear skin!

Sorry about the side effects. Hope you find something that works for you. What dose were you on?