Notifications
Clear all

Differin For Mild Pitted Scars

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,

after some time I finally bought my first retinoid. The scars are in the thread bellow. They are slightly indented and residual red/discolored.

Do you think differin will remove the redness?

Is it going to make my scars shallower or even "disappear" (because they are very shallow)?

Please, I really appreciate your help and wisdom. Share your experience!

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 1:10 pm

Differn is different to retin A as it only has 1 receptor. It does nothing for scarring. It simply promotes skin turnover to prevent clogging. Hence its less irritating then retin A which does actually help fill in scars.

i will stress though that retinoids simply create lesser quality collagen to fill up some scars.

I'm not a fan of retinoids as long term use makes your skin quite dependent on them and if you stop you will probably end up with more clogged pores then normal.

Also your skin can become more red as your epidermis is thinned.

of all the retinoids differin is my favorite. Still though make sure to moisturize after an hour or so using the differin. Use Cerave lotion.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 2:53 pm

Thank you enough!! :)

I don't want to fill my pits. I mean, I want but that's no my major concern. I have redness left from the scars. It has been 1 years tough... Do you think it will help the redness/ discoloration?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:13 pm

It will help red marks but it could expose the pitted scarring making it more visible as the epidermis is thinned. According to the scarless healing thread the cure is here though. So i guess just wait for hydrogel to come into the market. Take note, im being a bit sarcastic.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:37 pm

I read it already x)

I think an avatar would be better ahahah

There is no hope. We can fix the problem but not solve it. The only solution is prevention, and now it's too late...

Do you think differin will even it to skin colour?

Thanks once again :D

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:47 pm

Yes. The less your pores get clogged,the more the chance of your skin being able to renew itself and marks should lessen. However, i want to stress, a retinoid is a commitment. It will take 4months before you say wow this is working really well, before that your skin could break out a lot as your unclogging a lot of crap.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:03 pm

Yes. The less your pores get clogged,the more the chance of your skin being able to renew itself and marks should lessen. However, i want to stress, a retinoid is a commitment. It will take 4months before you say wow this is working really well, before that your skin could break out a lot as your unclogging a lot of crap.

which could also lead to more scars i believe

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:04 pm

I dont think so. My skin is not oily, just in the T zone. I only applied it yesterday and I felt my skin was more oily. Is it normal?

Damn, scars are a nightmare and I have mild ones. I cant imagine what the others go through :(

My dents are shallow but noticeable if you look closely. How long does it takes to even out the skin tone?

Are you lucky or do you have scars enough?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:18 pm

I dont think so. My skin is not oily, just in the T zone. I only applied it yesterday and I felt my skin was more oily. Is it normal?

Damn, scars are a nightmare and I have mild ones. I cant imagine what the others go through

My dents are shallow but noticeable if you look closely. How long does it takes to even out the skin tone?

Are you lucky or do you have scars enough?

Yes very normal. The retinoid drys out the skin. Skin makes excess sebum. This is 4 month bad skin commitmentment and then things get better. HOWEVER you will become dependent on it. Honestly if i were you take low dose accutane. Make sure you take some coconut oil flaxeed etc and honestly i think you would be happier then with a topical retinoid. Low dose accutane is safe. As long as you take the right supplements to go with it, there will be no issues at all.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:33 pm

I already have! I've been on isotretonin 2 months from September to December. Besides acne, it had a great impact on the scars. I felt they improved more in 2 months than in 1 whole year!! How bad my skin will be untill it gets better?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:39 pm

As i said, 4 months..usually max 5 months. It could be very bad for around a month or 2. Then things should get better, slowly .I think retinoids and ahas are a waste of time and lead to bigger problems down the road though.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 5:50 pm

So what should I do?? How do I improve the scars and get rid of the redness?! Tretonin?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:05 pm

So what should I do?? How do I improve the scars and get rid of the redness?! Tretonin?

The thing is I dont want to break out or get more scars...

how old are you? I saw your pics and maybe just leaving your skin alone might be the best option.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:13 pm

I am a 16 yo male. What does it have to do with it?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:15 pm

I am a 16 yo male. What does it have to do with it?

A lot. Leave your skin alone. Its not that bad for a 16 year old guy.

you are at your hormonal peak. I think you should give it 3-4 years before you do any retinoids. Ill bet by the time you are 20 your skin will be fine.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:27 pm

Ahahah, thanks :)

But really, acne might go in time but scars wont. They may be less noticeable but they wont vanish.

So what would you do about the scaes if you were me?

I may be overeacting. My scars are nothing compare to others and I find my post "offensive" for those with serious scarring. But again, most of people outside this forum doesnt know what it feels to be horrible. "A pimple they say". This is all about point of view, everyone has problems, some are serious, others arent serious at all but it still freakd you.

Thanks for all the help you've been giving

me so far enough :D

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/17/2014 8:42 pm

Sometimes overtreating can lead to prolonged acne.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/17/2014 10:56 pm

Differn is different to retin A as it only has 1 receptor. It does nothing for scarring. It simply promotes skin turnover to prevent clogging. Hence its less irritating then retin A which does actually help fill in scars.

i will stress though that retinoids simply create lesser quality collagen to fill up some scars.

I'm not a fan of retinoids as long term use makes your skin quite dependent on them and if you stop you will probably end up with more clogged pores then normal.

of all the retinoids differin is my favorite. Still though make sure to moisturize after an hour or so using the differin. Use Cerave lotion.

There's no scientific evidence behind anything you said..

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/18/2014 4:56 am

Yes there is

Do your research bud.

Yes there is

Do your research bud.

I've been on this ride for a long time . Read about retinoids.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/18/2014 7:29 am

I have done research...user reviews from ordinary people like you and me does not qualify as scientific research. I am sorry. Acne ride or acne scars ride?

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/18/2014 8:28 am

I have done research...user reviews from ordinary people like you and me does not qualify as scientific research. I am sorry. Acne ride or acne scars ride?

both. Also I have done research and if you know anything about retinoids you will know they all do 1 thing. speed up skin cell turnover so clogging doesnt take place. The difference between differin and retin a is that the latter triggers 3 receptors while the former does only 1. differin does nothing for acne scars whatsoever but is more tolerable to people as it doesnt stimulate tg1 collagen ( scarred collagen) in the dermis while retin a does. Retin A thins the epiderms but overtime thickens the dermis, hence its anti ageing benefits. Differin doesnt affect the dermis at all.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/18/2014 9:37 am

Acne scars??

I've searched a lot about acne and it's problems. I'm not an expert about it but I know the basic principles about wound healing (which I'm acquiring in school and internet). However, I'm young and therefore I do not have much experience but I always try to learn more from you.

I'm not very instructed about retinoids but I do know the essential. Please let me know you're experiences and if possible you can always teach me some "science".

Thank you roberto and enough :)

Please, don't judge me because of my age.