Notifications
Clear all

Seeing A Dermatologist For Scars

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:23 pm

I going to the derm few days for acne scars.

I've been researching and excision seems really good for the scars i have ( many ice picks, rolling, depressed)

The derm is an old guy with 30+ years experience with cosmetic dermatology for his practice.

I been reading that a plastic surgeon is better for these treatments.

Since the derm im going to has cosmetic practices, will he be okay for the procedure if he recommends it?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/17/2014 2:34 pm

dont know what your scar looks like cant really give a opinion

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/17/2014 9:46 pm

Go to a surgeon. Subcision with a filler works best for scars.

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 03/18/2014 12:37 am

Scars can go away by treating them non-surgically as well. Have you given a thought to it?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 03/18/2014 4:51 am

Doesn't matter if your doctor is a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Just make sure your doctor has adequate experience treating acne scars with the procedure. Personally, I would approach an experienced dermatologist for punch excision or subcision before a plastic surgeon. Chances are they've done the procedure much more frequently than a plastic surgeon. If I were seeking a procedure like Z-plasty to relocate or minimize a disfiguring scar, I would first look for a qualified facial plastic surgeon but I would also consider a derm who is experienced with the procedure.

Subcision and fillers rarely improve ice pick and boxcar scars. This procedure makes sense for rolling scars where the skin is simply tethered and still shares the same texture as surrounding skin.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/18/2014 9:04 am

excision for ice pick scars

subcision and fillers for rolling scars