Notifications
Clear all

Acne Disappeared With Use Of Gelatin Supplement

MemberMember
(@awsahr)

Posted : 03/16/2014 9:28 pm

I first started getting severe acne over three years ago that only recently started to subside after I started making grass-fed gelatin a part of my diet.

I eat a very plant based diet (no meat or dairy products), workout frequently, have a regular cycle, etc. - so my issues with acne were beyond me. My dermatologist put me on Retin-A that left my skin dry and irritated, and gave me horrible acne scars. I wound up going off of it (after two years) when my insurance expired, and then switched to Philosophy's Help Me night cream (and a green tea retinol cream that my dermatologist makes). I also started supplementing with Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate and noticed a difference in my skin after one week. It's been two months of using this treatment method and my acne has completely disappeared. Out of the dozen indented scars on my face, only the deepest one remains and is incredibly shallow. And I am incredibly happy.

To hydrate, I alternate with jojoba oil and Andalou Naturals ultra sheer daily defense (available at Whole Foods). Anyway, I figured if other treatment options haven't been working for you, gelatin could be incredibly helpful in your fight against acne. Looking back on those three years, I spent a lot of time trying to hide my acne ridden face from family and friends, and I'm happy I finally found a solution.

Routine

Morning - Wash face with Dove exfoliating bar soap, hydrate with Andalou Naturals; Bare Minerals makeup

Night - Wash face with Dove exfoliating bar soap, wait 20 minutes then apply Philosophy's Help Me or green tea retinol; take 1 tablespoon of gelatin, on a 2 hour empty stomach, just before bedtime

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:09 am

'Out of the dozen indented scars on my face, only the deepest one remains and is incredibly shallow. And I am incredibly happy.'

So.....you're saying your indented scars filled up completely, with the exception of the deepest scar?

Picture proof? I'm sure you wont mind since you're 'clear'..

otherwise...awesome for you and I have added this to my bucket list of things to research. LOL

CONGRATS

MemberMember
(@awsahr)

Posted : 03/17/2014 7:27 pm

post-146432-1299129707_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@fullset)

Posted : 04/05/2014 12:53 am

Hey I have a quick question for you.

IIRC, bare minerals makeup has zinc oxide in it, right? Did you start using the mineral make up the same timzince you stated gelatin supplement, or were you using mineral make up all along and you noticed the difference when you started gelatin powder.

The reason I ask is because I've had almost unbelievable results with just using zinc oxide sunscreen that I make at home with jojoba oil 80% & 20% zinc oxide. What I do have is some scars and unused collagen hydrolysate powder in my home. I'm amazed by your results but just wondering what actually gave you results - collagen or zinc.

I hope you remember and answer my question when you can.

Thanks,

Fullset

MemberMember
(@awsahr)

Posted : 04/08/2014 1:51 pm

IIRC, bare minerals makeup has zinc oxide in it, right? Did you start using the mineral make up the same timzince you stated gelatin supplement, or were you using mineral make up all along and you noticed the difference when you started gelatin powder.

The reason I ask is because I've had almost unbelievable results with just using zinc oxide sunscreen that I make at home with jojoba oil 80% & 20% zinc oxide. What I do have is some scars and unused collagen hydrolysate powder in my home. I'm amazed by your results but just wondering what actually gave you results - collagen or zinc.

Thanks,

Fullset

Hi Fullset,

I've been using bare minerals makeup for the past 10 years. My acne only started clearing up after I began using the gelatin - so I'm fairly certain it was the collagen at work.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 04/08/2014 6:05 pm

Using 1 tsp per day, a can will last some time. Does the product stay good that long?

MemberMember
(@fullset)

Posted : 04/10/2014 3:13 pm

Thanks,

Fullset

Hi Fullset,

I've been using bare minerals makeup for the past 10 years. My acne only started clearing up after I began using the gelatin - so I'm fairly certain it was the collagen at work.

Thanks awsahr for your reply.

It sometimes leaves me constipated. And may be causes acne for me. But may be I've been taking it the wrong way.

Could you please tell me how do you take the collagen hydrolysate?

Mix it with cold water? hot water? Or do you just put it in food? soup?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but thanks again for replying.

Fullset

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 06/14/2014 9:15 pm

I use collagen hydrolysate by Great Lakes and take a rounded teaspoon mixed with cold water twice a day and haven't had ANY gut problems or any increase in acne. In fact, the opposite. If you're taking the bonded amino acid form (gelatin) then you may run into some gut issues and must be taken in a hot liquid. Collagen hydrolysate however, will dissolve in anything and I find it is best in cool or cold water. If you want HGH effects of a protein, you will want to take it on an empty stomach. I also want to add, I have noticed a bit of a better elasticity in my skin so far and I have only been taking collagen hydrolysate for a week. I am going to try derma stamping with it now in my regimine and we'll see how that goes!

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 06/15/2014 3:08 pm

I have been using collagen hydrolysate for about 3 weeks now. Didn't really affect my acne. I had more luck with lactoferrin. I began using lactoferrin 2 weeks ago, so I can't be sure if its collagen or lactoferrin working, but I believe it to be the lactoferrin, as I only noticed a difference when I started lactoferrin, and improving slowly as I doubled the dosage from 250mg to 500mg like 5 days ago. As for collagen hydrolysate, I have been taking 1 tbsp per day, I might try 2 per day, but I doubt it has any effect. Though my skin is less tight than it used to be, but that could be because I upped my hyaluronic acid from 50mg every other day to 50mg every day. Hyaluronic acid only makes my acne spots clear a little bit faster than without, but doesn't do anything regarding new acne.

I plan to keep using 500mg lactoferrin per day, 1 tbsp of collagen hydrolysate per day as long as the can lasts (even though it seems to do nothing for me) and use up the few last capsules of hyaluronic acid, but won't buy more of it, cause of its price. In the long run I don't want to be paying for all of these 3 so I would choose the lactoferrin. The lactoferrin seems to help my acne everywhere else than in my neck / jawline area, as I believe that is mostly hormonal acne in that area and can't be cured without f*ing up my hormones.

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 06/25/2014 2:42 pm

I can't see how collagen hydrolysate would help acne other than eventually plumping the skin so you'd have better delivery of your products. And full benefits of collagen hydrolysate probably won't be seen for a few months. I use it and have seen amazing results in my indented scars and overall fullness with the Great Lakes brand twice a day mixed in cold water.

Tretinoin is an amazing cream PROVEN to target deep acne and I attribute my clarity 90% to this. The rest is due to a zinc oxide mask I use made from zinc oxide powder mixed equally with coconut oil or jojoba oil applied every other night. I have zero inflammation and no plugs whatsoever that can turn into pimples later.

Tretinoin will actually almost double your collagen thickness by the 12 month mark if you're patient enough to use it that long.

So the triple threat of collagen hydrolysate, tretinoin and zinc oxide is a powerhouse on both acne and scarring and also fine lines/loss of facial fullness. Not only has this worked for me, but these three things have the studies to back them up if your interested in researching them.

I have been using collagen hydrolysate for about 3 weeks now. Didn't really affect my acne. I had more luck with lactoferrin. I began using lactoferrin 2 weeks ago, so I can't be sure if its collagen or lactoferrin working, but I believe it to be the lactoferrin, as I only noticed a difference when I started lactoferrin, and improving slowly as I doubled the dosage from 250mg to 500mg like 5 days ago. As for collagen hydrolysate, I have been taking 1 tbsp per day, I might try 2 per day, but I doubt it has any effect. Though my skin is less tight than it used to be, but that could be because I upped my hyaluronic acid from 50mg every other day to 50mg every day. Hyaluronic acid only makes my acne spots clear a little bit faster than without, but doesn't do anything regarding new acne.

I plan to keep using 500mg lactoferrin per day, 1 tbsp of collagen hydrolysate per day as long as the can lasts (even though it seems to do nothing for me) and use up the few last capsules of hyaluronic acid, but won't buy more of it, cause of its price. In the long run I don't want to be paying for all of these 3 so I would choose the lactoferrin. The lactoferrin seems to help my acne everywhere else than in my neck / jawline area, as I believe that is mostly hormonal acne in that area and can't be cured without f*ing up my hormones.

Zinc oxide is an inhibitor of an enzyme found in acne prone skin and this enzyme is responsible for a testosterone conversion. Tretinoin boosts an enzyme found in non-acne prone skin that is responsible for estrogen conversion. Before you reach for anything systemic/internal that may mess with all of your hormones, remember we have hormone receptors just in our integumentary system (skin). Because it's hormonal, it takes patience for these topicals to modulate your skin's function.

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 07/01/2014 2:20 pm

Tootie2014,

I read a bit about zinc oxide cream and it looks very promising. Could help my (hormonal) neck & jawline acne. However, if you use it yourself, how do you get it off your face? As it isnt water soluble. I mean, if I use oil to get it off, Im clogging my pores with oil and probably doing more harm than good.

MemberMember
(@sydboi)

Posted : 07/07/2014 12:25 am

Hi everyone,

I started taking the Collagen Hydrolysate a few months ago, mainly as a protein supplement. However I have never had any sort of reduction in my acne from taking it, and it has been at least three months that I've been ingesting it day and night (on an empty stomach and all that).

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 07/07/2014 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I started taking the Collagen Hydrolysate a few months ago, mainly as a protein supplement. However I have never had any sort of reduction in my acne from taking it, and it has been at least three months that I've been ingesting it day and night (on an empty stomach and all that).

What dosages were you taking? Though I guess it doesn't matter as I have been taking 2 tbsp a day for over a week now (previously was 1 tbsp a day) and still no improvements.

MemberMember
(@sydboi)

Posted : 07/07/2014 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,

What dosages were you taking? Though I guess it doesn't matter as I have been taking 2 tbsp a day for over a week now (previously was 1 tbsp a day) and still no improvements.

Hi,

I was also taking 2 tbsp a day- morning and night, as suggested on the packaging. Sometimes I would take a third tbsp after a workout as my protein supplement, but I don't work out very often lol.

In any case, no reduction for me at all.

Best of luck to other users though, I have my fingers crossed for you.

MemberMember
(@monroe444)

Posted : 11/02/2014 2:22 pm

Hi Awsahr,

Thank you for your post. How and when do you take the collagen? I have Great Lakes gelatin and I've tried taking it but it is so disgusting. My skin is driving me nuts.

Thank you,

Monroe

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 11/20/2015 12:36 am

On July 1, 2014 at 1220 PM, Wikkid said:

Tootie2014,

I read a bit about zinc oxide cream and it looks very promising. Could help my (hormonal) neck & jawline acne. However, if you use it yourself, how do you get it off your face? As it isnt water soluble. I mean, if I use oil to get it off, Im clogging my pores with oil and probably doing more harm than good.

I know this is late. But most of the zinc that isn't absorbed by my skin is rubbed off as I sleep at night. I am familiar with the type of comedones I get from a pore clogging substance and I haven't experienced that with pure zinc oxide powder. And Jojoba oil will NOT clog your pores. I also use evening primrose every other night, and that oil has yet to break me out. (My skin is a real bear too)

MemberMember
(@foodcursed)

Posted : 12/12/2016 9:50 pm

Weird. I tried to take sport research organic Pasteur raised bovine hide pure gelatin peptides, but every time I get huge painful cysts within 2 hours after taking it. :(