Notifications
Clear all

Read This If You Have Scalp Acne

MemberMember
(@pursuitofclearskin)

Posted : 03/16/2014 8:53 pm

I know not very many people here are dealing with scalp acne; I just want to share what has dramatically helped me. I've been dealing with scalp acne for the past few years, and it has driven me absolutely insane. Got to the point where I was considering dropping out of school, lost my confidence, and was honestly depressed. My condition was moderate. I have found a method to controlling it, this is a chronic condition and there is really no cure. However, you can follow a regime that will dramatically help. Everyones causes to acne are different, but I will share what helped me. My scalp acne was due to excessive scalp build up and not using the right products and not washing my scalp correctly. Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are a leading cause to scalp acne. If you have dandruff and yellow crusty particles on you scalp then that is more than likely the cause of your scalp acne. They are clogging your pores and not letting oil flow properly onto your hair. Everybody scalp and skin produces oil, some more than others. Oil itself does not cause acne, the combination of oil and other factors cause acne.

In order to treat your scalp acne, you must eliminate this build up first. To do so, purchase Neutrogena T/Sal and T/Gel shampoos. Can be purchased at Target, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Shampoo your hair every other day and switch off the two shampoos. What is very important is that you must thoroughly scrub your scalp with your fingertips, not too hard, and let it sin in your hair for about 15 minutes. Continue this regime for a few weeks, and if you don't see any improvement shampoo every day. Couple other things to help is wash your hair with room temperature water, make sure your water is not hot. Also, avoid touching or picking your hair, wearing hats, and avoid any hair products (gel, pomade, moose, etc). Stress can also affect it so stay positive, calm, and results will come your way. Also, exercising and drinking a lot of water can help too. Avoid greasy and fatty foods as well. (All this is good for your overall health so you should be doing so anyways).

Let me know if this has helped you or if you have any questions, I just want to help because I know how difficult and frustrating it can be.

MemberMember
(@marie4u)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:24 am

i dont have scallp acne but my first cousin have. so it is really helpful for him. i will share this information with him...thank you

MemberMember
(@irma)

Posted : 10/10/2014 5:59 pm

I know not very many people here are dealing with scalp acne; I just want to share what has dramatically helped me. I've been dealing with scalp acne for the past few years, and it has driven me absolutely insane. Got to the point where I was considering dropping out of school, lost my confidence, and was honestly depressed. My condition was moderate. I have found a method to controlling it, this is a chronic condition and there is really no cure. However, you can follow a regime that will dramatically help. Everyones causes to acne are different, but I will share what helped me. My scalp acne was due to excessive scalp build up and not using the right products and not washing my scalp correctly. Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are a leading cause to scalp acne. If you have dandruff and yellow crusty particles on you scalp then that is more than likely the cause of your scalp acne. They are clogging your pores and not letting oil flow properly onto your hair. Everybody scalp and skin produces oil, some more than others. Oil itself does not cause acne, the combination of oil and other factors cause acne.

In order to treat your scalp acne, you must eliminate this build up first. To do so, purchase Neutrogena T/Sal and T/Gel shampoos. Can be purchased at Target, Walgreens, CVS, etc. Shampoo your hair every other day and switch off the two shampoos. What is very important is that you must thoroughly scrub your scalp with your fingertips, not too hard, and let it sin in your hair for about 15 minutes. Continue this regime for a few weeks, and if you don't see any improvement shampoo every day. Couple other things to help is wash your hair with room temperature water, make sure your water is not hot. Also, avoid touching or picking your hair, wearing hats, and avoid any hair products (gel, pomade, moose, etc). Stress can also affect it so stay positive, calm, and results will come your way. Also, exercising and drinking a lot of water can help too. Avoid greasy and fatty foods as well. (All this is good for your overall health so you should be doing so anyways).

Let me know if this has helped you or if you have any questions, I just want to help because I know how difficult and frustrating it can be.

does it really works? i'm so tired of having this i can't sleep at night it is all over my scalp and there is blood too, i get like 5 or even more pimples all in one spots and then there are spots where i have really big ones and they hurt so much i can't try that shampoo because i don't think that it is available in italy but i will search on the internet. i found this guy on the internet that talks about scalp acne do you think that this shampoo can work?

***** i just searched on the internet and so many people are saying that it actually works for scalp acne i want to try it but they don't ship it to italy

MemberMember
(@pursuitofclearskin)

Posted : 10/10/2014 6:44 pm

does it really works? i'm so tired of having this i can't sleep at night it is all over my scalp and there is blood too, i get like 5 or even more pimples all in one spots and then there are spots where i have really big ones and they hurt so much i can't try that shampoo because i don't think that it is available in italy but i will search on the internet. i found this guy on the internet that talks about scalp acne do you think that this shampoo can work?

***** i just searched on the internet and so many people are saying that it actually works for scalp acne i want to try it but they don't ship it to italy

Hello, I'm sorry for what you're going through and I know how it feels. The shampoo's I talked about in this post ended up not working for me either. They helped a little bit didn't cure it. Do you have very oily hair? Do you use hair products like hair spray/gel etc?

MemberMember
(@irma)

Posted : 10/25/2014 3:33 pm

Hello, I'm sorry for what you're going through and I know how it feels. The shampoo's I talked about in this post ended up not working for me either. They helped a little bit didn't cure it. Do you have very oily hair? Do you use hair products like hair spray/gel etc?

i'm actually using neutrogena t gel the shampoo you suggested it works but just a little bit :( tha bumps on my back hurt so much :/ i don't use any product for my hair i just use the shampoo.

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 05/19/2015 8:24 am

I figured I'd bump this topic. The humidity in my area (Northeast US) seems to trigger my scalp acne.

I have a lifelong history of antibiotic use for acne. My first really bad breakout of scalp acne occurred around age 28. I went on Accutane after that (twice)- mostly for the facial and back acne. I can still get the scalp issue even when my face is clear. Anyone who has ever had acne will know how fickle and bizarre it can be.

Right now (knock on wood), my face is clear. I've been using Tazorac sporadically during the week and have been using Mandelic and or glycolic acid facial serum most days of the week during the day. I think my skin responds really well to glycolic and mandolic acids as opposed to typical salicylic acid. I recently thought I was going down the slippery slope of a bad facial breakout, and the serum saved the day (they are usually marketed towards aging women with wrinkles). My scalp, however, is a minefield of cysts and really &(^(*& hurts.

In the past, I've tried the Nizoral type shampoos, prescription and regular strength, natural shampoos, anti-baldness shampoos, glycolic acid shampoo, etc... I've tried tea tree oil, castor oil, different essential oils. Prescribed antibiotics (nasty ones, like doxycycline) work temporarily. Accutane helps, but only temporarily. My biggest gripe is that being female, I wear my hair to my shoulders, it's fine textured, blond, tends to be wavy/curly and *needs* good conditioner in order to behave and not split and break. Conditioner = some kind of emollient. My scalp misbehaves even *more* when my hair is unruly and dry, so the typical treatments exacerbate the problem. I'm also not the type to brush my hair with anything more than a wide-tooth comb, so my scalp doesn't get exfoliated frequently. Most people with curly hair can't brush their hair with the typical hairbrush due to breakage.

I've used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, which did seem to help, but still tends to dry my hair out. I would highly recommend Nixon shampoo/conditioner for most people if they have this problem and have straight/ short/ oily hair. It's really soothing, and doesn't smell so terrible that it makes you feel anti-social.

I've thought of using the serum I use for acne on my scalp. I've been trying it, but not consistently enough to decide whether it works. I'm sort of reluctant to "waste" it on my scalp since I'm also using it on my arm KP and some weird ingrown hairs on my right leg. Any thoughts on the idea? The worst part of my scalp right now is near the nape.

My thought process is this-- my acne usually responds better to certain types of exfoliation than anything else. Differin gel and salicylic acid do nothing for me, but glycolic acid, mandolin acid, and Tazorac usually does. It's as if I need to pour battery acid on my skin to loosen the skin cells. I also seem to think I have a problem with ingrown hair, even on the tiniest level. Autoimmune disorders also run in my family. I'm fairly convinced acne is partially an autoimmune disorder. It's as if our bodies fight off bacteria that live on everybody's skin, or try to attack sterile dead skin cells stuck in our pores.

Anyhow, most of the bumps on my head start out as hard and non-inflamed. They develop into larger lesions that itch and turn red, especially if I scratch or play with them too much. Since anti-fungals never seem to effect the acne, I figure it's not dandruff. They aren't large enough to be the kind of cysts that need to be surgically removed. My best guess is that the bumps develop because I have too many dead skin cells on my scalp. They likely block the hair follicles on my head, and my body decides to fight the blockage by causing inflammation. Therefor, if I somehow treat my scalp with glycolic acid or another type of exfoliating acid (in a serum form), I might be able to avoid further breakouts. I will try to treat the areas that are breaking out rather than dousing my skin with the stuff, since it tends to be pricey and I don't want to apply the acid to my hair itself. The serums usually come in a little dropper bottle, they dry quickly, and are usually not sticky because they are meant for the face. I don't want to use Tazorac, since it's a gel and would likely spread onto my hair.

Any thoughts? I will try this for a while and update on progress if I can remember to do so!

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 01/30/2016 4:33 pm

Heh! To be honest, I've tried things on and off. The only thing that helped remotely short-term was to try to pop them with a mirror and blackhead extractor when they were beyond the extreme inflammation stage.
It's really difficult to spot treat on your head, especially when your hair is as dry and frizzy as mine. My general practitioner prescribed me doxycycline for breakouts as needed, which sometimes helps.
Good shampoos/conditioners marketed towards "people with thinning hair" seems to help to some extent as well-- often those marketed towards men (shampoos and conditioners with minty scalp-cleaning ingredients). Sulfur8 shampoo seems like an option that is less noxious and is comparatively cheap, and doesn't smell like Sulfur. I'm still at a loss as to whether to sacrifice my dry hair for a nice scalp.