Notifications
Clear all

Need Help With Minor Acne Scars.

MemberMember
(@gabe128)

Posted : 03/15/2014 10:11 pm

Hey I was wondering what I could do to get rid of these minor scars I have. You might not be able to see them that we'll with my bathroom lighting. I was trying to get some natural lighting from outside bit I was late for work. So anyway I'm a Black male with mixed skin(slightly oily around nose and forehead, I've never had acne on forehead or around nose though) couple of months ago I got lucky and my and started clearing up. Now it's practically gone. It left behind some little dents in my skin that I can't seem to get rid of. Like I said u might not b able to seem them that we'll in these pictures but I'll add them anyway. A word of advice would be nice.

post-210793-0-82849300-1394939429_thumb.

post-210793-0-42186300-1394939441_thumb.

post-210793-0-25582400-1394939450_thumb.

post-210793-0-82849300-1394939429_thumb.

post-210793-0-42186300-1394939441_thumb.

post-210793-0-25582400-1394939450_thumb.

MemberMember
(@luvskincare13)

Posted : 03/16/2014 1:07 pm

Your scarring is so mild I would do nothing. Since you are black your choices are very limited and besides for such minor minor scarring why risk your already nice skin!

MemberMember
(@gabe128)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:08 am

Your scarring is so mild I would do nothing. Since you are black your choices are very limited and besides for such minor minor scarring why risk your already nice skin!

Your probably right, but it seems that it is taking soooo long to heal. I was thinking since it was minor I could apply something gentle and it disappears quickly.

MemberMember
(@luvskincare13)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:39 am

Hyperpigmentation will eventually fade on its own. Actual indents usually remain even minor ones.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 03/17/2014 1:22 am

The only thing I could think of would be to use a dermaroller progressively with the required topiclas to add on afterwards. Since your scarring is not that severe that should be able to smooth things out but it would take a good amount of time and several rolls throughout the year to see results. I heard lasers are not really an option for African American skin because of hyper pigmentation risks involved. If they bother you that bad I would visit a cosmetic dermatologist to see what they're viewpoint on the situation stands.I do know that the less scarring the easier it is to treat, so having acne under control is a must but I see you have that down at the moment. Is there any chance the acne can come back, has that happened before to you?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:56 am

Your scarring is minor. If I were you, I would not risk any aggressive scar treatments. A series of professionally administered superficial peels could improve your overall tone and texture, plus reduce hyperpigmentation and clear your pores. With your skin type, you really should seek the advice of a dermatologist who is experienced with darker skin.

If you're not doing so already, you should add a good moisturizer to your regimen, as well as sunblock. To me, when I look at your photos, I see dry skin, hyperpigmentation that causes texture issues to be exaggerated, and clogged pores. If you were to improve on these areas, I think your skin would look healthy and your minor scarring would be unnoticeable to most people.

Although you will only find parts of this book online, you might find this information useful:

Aesthetics and Cosmetic Surgery for Darker Skin Types

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=ALt93yGZccQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 03/18/2014 12:59 am

Your scarring isn't a big deal. It will go away on its own. But if you want to get rid of it fast, i would suggest you to monitor your diet intake and make sure that you're taking essential vitamins and minerals needed for scar healing. Also, for hypoallergenic topical, the best i can recommend is invicible scars. I've used it so i can guarantee its effectiveness. Also, you can try any remedy if you like. They seem to work too.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/18/2014 10:01 pm

I don't think you have real indented scars from those pics. I recommend wearing a tinted moisturizer (has sun block, evens skin tone) and using Retin-A every other day. Your skin will be near perfect within a reasonable time frame. Trust me.

MemberMember
(@gabe128)

Posted : 03/19/2014 2:03 am

Where can I get Retin-A

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 2:55 am

It's prescription, not over the counter.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/19/2014 4:54 pm

You can always try other retinoids. Retin a is the most effective but differin or tazorac are also reasonable and less irritating. They can be bought without prescription and they are cheap (1 tube last a long time). Cheers :)

Btw I have similar scars to yours. At the moment Im trying differin. Search about retinoids

MemberMember
(@sdpinkas)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:10 pm

I can't tell exactly what it is from the picture, but I think its just hyper pigmentation.

Hyper pigmentation will fade naturally on it's own, but there are a couple things your can do to speed up the process. You can exfoliate your skin, and there are 2 types of exfoliants, physical and chemical. A physical exfoliant is a scrub or textured cleanser, and I strongly suggest you do not use these. Physical exfoliants cause irritation, and irritation causes acne. Instead, opt for a chemical exfoliant, like glycolic acid. I use Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner on a cotton pad every 2 days after I've cleansed my face. While you may not see immediate results, the glycolic acid will help to fade those dark marks quicker than letting it happen on its own.

Or you can try a AHA chemical exfoliant. There is one on the acne.org website, but I've also heard that Alpha H's Liquid Gold works really really well. Do some research! I hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:34 pm

You can always try other retinoids. Retin a is the most effective but differin or tazorac are also reasonable and less irritating. They can be bought without prescription and they are cheap (1 tube last a long time). Cheers

Btw I have similar scars to yours. At the moment Im trying differin. Search about retinoids

I agree, but that's the only retinoid I can vouch for and I didn't experience much irritation with it. I've been using Retin A cream twice a week since 2009.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/19/2014 6:14 pm

Oh, you should experience some overall improvement. Retinoids are know to thick dermis and thus increasing collagen. Your scars should fill in in 6 months or so. Dont overuse retin a because it decreases your dermis and make the skin more fragile. I am admiting you are aware of this but Its just to make sure. Please, if possible let me know your results :D Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 7:15 pm

Oh, you should experience some overall improvement. Retinoids are know to thick dermis and thus increasing collagen. Your scars should fill in in 6 months or so. Dont overuse retin a because it decreases your dermis and make the skin more fragile. I am admiting you are aware of this but Its just to make sure. Please, if possible let me know your results Good luck

I don't think retinoids fill in scars, even the shallow ones, that much. You need real treatments to correct atrophic scars. Yes, they have been shown to, in several scientific journals, to thicken the dermis, but they haven't been shown to fill up scars.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/20/2014 3:13 am

They do. But only mild ones. I believe (y)our scars can be improved a lot using retinoids. Moderate to severe scars is too large to responde this treatment so dont loose hope, you and me are lucky! Plus, if you are young, just give it time to heal because it's likely to almost disappear