Notifications
Clear all

My Scars, Pics Finally

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/15/2014 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

at last, I got my phone and I was finally able to take pics of me.

I still have active acne, 1 or 2 pimples here and there.

Somehow, some pimples left scars in each cheek. Due to my bad photo skills or mobile (samsung s2) i wasnt able to focus very well on the scars.

I was left with ice pick scars and redness. (it's been 1 year since then)

What can I do to improve the scars and the redness?post-380086-0-42992100-1394917183_thumb.

I recently cut my hair and now the redness is really noticeable. Before that, people would notice my blonde hair and not the scars. Please heeelp :(

post-380086-0-18578900-1394917202_thumb.

post-380086-0-23266400-1394917219_thumb.

post-380086-0-55770700-1394917254_thumb.

post-380086-0-73152800-1394917346_thumb.

post-380086-0-42992100-1394917183_thumb.

post-380086-0-18578900-1394917202_thumb.

post-380086-0-23266400-1394917219_thumb.

post-380086-0-55770700-1394917254_thumb.

post-380086-0-73152800-1394917346_thumb.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/15/2014 7:01 pm

Hi everyone,

at last, I got my phone and I was finally able to take pics of me.

I still have active acne, 1 or 2 pimples here and there.

Somehow, some pimples left scars in each cheek. Due to my bad photo skills or mobile (samsung s2) i wasnt able to focus very well on the scars.

I was left with ice pick scars and redness. (it's been 1 year since then)

What can I do to improve the scars and the redness?

I recently cut my hair and now the redness is really noticeable. Before that, people would notice my blonde hair and not the scars. Please heeelp

Your pictures are very blurry, but I'd say your scars can be improved a lot.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/15/2014 7:50 pm

I know Michelle :(

I tryed my best to have better photos but I couldn't. My mobile is 5 Mega pixel, it's good though. Maybe the scars are too small. (they are like bigger pores but still noticeable if you look closely). Remember the redness I was talking about?

It is still red after a year. I believe if it wasnt red it would be a lot less noticeable.

So what do you sugest i do? Can topicals, time and healthy habits help it?

Is the quality of the picture related to the quality of the photographer or the machine itself

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/16/2014 1:49 am

if its red use retinol

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/16/2014 5:40 am

Okay, thanks skull. :) I dont have retin a, does epiduo works? (it's a retinol isn't it?)

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/16/2014 6:07 am

So, what can improve those scars? Do you think they can improve 100%? (they are mild and shallow i think)

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/16/2014 3:56 pm

Is differin better than retin a?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:22 pm

No scar is going to improve 100%. I'm not sure that will do much for your pitted scar problem. If they really worry you go to a good cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see what they have to say. We can all give you advice but those people specialize in the subject in which you are seeking help.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:33 pm

I know. I'm trying to "solve" this using topicals - it's mild once again. Do you think I'll be succeeded?

MemberMember
(@polyester-girl)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:45 pm

I think Retin-A is better for improving the appearance of scars than any other retinoid. I'm currently on Epiduo (3 weeks in) which is basically Differin + Benzoyl Peroxide. I have scarring a bit worse than yours, it is sometimes not noticeable at all but in certain lighing BOOM, it's all visible. I asked my doctor if Epiduo would help treat my scarring as well as my acne (I still have acne so that's the reason I got it) but his quite unhelpful response was just "this will help your acne which will prevent future scarring." I kept thinking, yeah I know that but what about my current scarring? But he seemed to always avoid that question or not understand my point. Very annoying, I might need a new doctor that speaks better english.

So in the absence of a professional answer, after doing a LOT of online research I found that Differin/Epiduo has pretty much no effect on scarring and Retin-A is said to help, but some people report it still didn't and that (gulp) using it long term made their scars worse. It's a very confusing area but to sum it all up, I don't think Differin or Epiduo will help. I'm going to keep using Epiduo to clear up my active acne and after that maybe I can switch to Retin-A for scarring. Also, in my search I came across a neat little product called Hiruscar Post Acne Gel, which is specifically made for acne scars and actually claims to improve depressed/pitted scars. Now that is a BIG claim. I can't find any in Australian pharmacies so I ordered it on eBay and it should be arriving this month. Maybe google it and see what you think - fingers crossed for both of us!

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/18/2014 5:55 pm

Hi polyester girl :)

I'm so glad to meet someone like me! Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge, your answer was awesome :D

You cant see my indentations but they are very small (the ones one my left cheek), small (those on my right cheek + 1 small/medium). The scar itself is not noticeable (unless you are looking for it).

My major concern about them is the redness and discoloration. It has been 1 y since I got them and they have faded only a half!

While I was looking for topicals I found retin a (which is isotretonin), epiduo

(sorry its hard to post using mobile -.-)

And differin (also heard something about duac and tazorac i think).

I agree with you, probably retin a would be stronger a thus more effective. However you need prescription and that's really unconvinient.

I tried epiduo but it's no so good. Epiduo is not a retinoid... Well it is but it's ultimate purpose is not as a retinoid.

Retinoids increase cell turnover and promote collagen growth and therefore prevent acne and help scars. Epiduo isn't anywhere near that standart, but it is more effective in preventing acne on the other hand.

At the moment I will try differin and atempt to solve my discoloration. When I achieve that I will take it into other step. Bit by bit we will conquer our scars!! :)

Oh, about your dermatologist. I had the same problem!! One year ago when i went there I asked about tge scars. I wasnt very informed back then so i didnt insist. How could she ignore the scars?! She is the most qualified person that can evaluate my scars and treat them. I got so frustrated!!