Notifications
Clear all

Why Does My Face Turn Shiny After Using Cleanser?

MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 03/15/2014 12:35 pm

I'm using Cetaphil oily skin cleanser ( http://www.acne.org/cetaphil-oily-skin-cleanser-reviews-1452/ ) and occasionally Oxy facial cleanser with 2% Salicylic acid and noticed that right after I use either cleanser (especially the Oxy one), some parts of my face would turn really shiny, and I know it's not because of the natural oils on my face (Sebum) because my skin feels really tight and dry after using them (obviously since they remove the oils), then I'd apply moisturizer but the shine is still there. I think it has something to do with the dryness or tightening effect of these cleansers, can anyone help me? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@cicibabygirl)

Posted : 03/17/2014 12:44 pm

I've experienced this in the past as well. I'd say you need a really good moisturizer. What are you using to moisturize? Or maybe a face wash that doesn't strip your skin of so much moisture.

Flopus liked
MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/17/2014 1:03 pm

If your cleanser is making your face tight and shiny it may be too harsh and stripping your face of natural oils which is not really what you want. You want a cleanser that cleans your face but is gentle. Try switching to the regular cetaphil cleanser (not the one for oily skin) or if you are on the Regimen try the cleanser that goes with it That you order, it cleanse really well but doesn't over dry your skin. And also use a moisturizer that is oil free and won't irritate your skin.

Good luck.

Flopus liked
MemberMember
(@froppe)

Posted : 03/17/2014 4:07 pm

What you are experiencing is dried out skin. You know when you got sunburnt, and the skin is kind of rough and "shiny"? Same thing. The top layer of your skin is not moisturized, hence it creates a sort of dead skin layer on top that just simply is SHINY. Our skin got a protective barrier made out of sebum (oil), when can be damaged by over-washing skin or alcohol, this is what you experience right now. The moisture is deep in the skin, but not on top.

I would recommend trying to wash your face less (less amount and lower washing time), make sure to moisturize 2-3 times daily. If you don't overwash your skin or over-treat it, then i would recommend drinking more water if your skin usually is not this dry.

REMEMBER: Hot showers breaks down your skin like nothing else. It destroys the skins protective barrier, and dries out your ENTIRE body. If your entire body is dry, the skin reacts more violently in my opinion, and creates a massive amount of sebum, which results in acne. Shower less and cooler.

SHINE AFTER WASHING DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING WITH BEING OILY, DO NOT TRY TO WASH IT AWAY, SINCE IT IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.

Flopus and Exister liked
MemberMember
(@flopus)

Posted : 03/18/2014 12:56 pm

Thank you all for helping, and I do moisturize twice a day with oil-free moisturizers. I guess it was because I was washing my face twice a day with the cleanser and on top of that I would use Benzoyl Peroxide which dries my face out even more. Taking a cooler shower is not an option when it's -15 C to 0 C outside lol, but I can do it in the summer, and I do drink plenty of water, at least three 500 ml water bottles a day. I'll try to wash my face only once a day with the cleanser (and the second time with just water), that should help with the dryness and the shiny effect.

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 06/10/2014 10:49 am

I have tried different cleansers including Cetaphil and Cerave and for some reason something in them does not agree with my skin and I would also get extra oily skin after using them. I recommend trying something else with different ingredients especially something with as few ingredients as possible (my theory is the more stuff that's in there the more likely something is going to cause problems).

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 06/10/2014 6:33 pm

What % BP are you using? That dries out your skin and coupled with the cleanser may just be too much. If you're using anything over 2.5% you might either lower the % or reduce applications.

I agree with the gentle face washes. Find something that is mild, because treatments are going to dry you out anyways. Find something without sulfates if you can.

I know--I take hot showers in winter, too. Maybe wash your face in the sink beforehand and don't put your face under the hot water in the shower? Might be a good compromise.