Notifications
Clear all

I Messed Up My Face! Help!

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 03/13/2014 10:39 pm

I used hydrocortisone cream on my face for about half a year - last year. I would sleep with it on at night and put it on my face without sunscreen during the day. This created mild scars last year and thought they would eventually go away. I know I'm an idiot - I didn't realize the damage caused was so extensive. Then this past summer 2013, I bought Neutragena sunscreen with moisturizer. When I applied it to my scarred cheeks, I broke out into some serious acne which lasted up till now. My cheeks have become scarred as a result of cystic acne. I'm easily prone to cystic acne because my skin is now so sensitive and i can't hold my phone next to it or even touch my face without washing my hands first. I started taking MSM supplements for about 3 weeks now. I'm not sure if there is a difference with the scarring. My face though is much plumper and the rest of my skin looks okay.

Please, please, please help me! I'm a universisty student and can't afford expensive laser treatments.

Please help me with any suggestions/inputs/thoughts/comments. SEE PICTURES BELOW.

Thanks,

SNAPPED

post-382886-0-48071300-1394767707.jpg

post-382886-0-61879500-1394767723.jpg

post-382886-0-84884500-1394767777.jpg

post-382886-0-20081500-1394767793.jpg

post-382886-0-98063300-1394767848.jpg

post-382886-0-30346300-1394767876.jpg

post-382886-0-48071300-1394767707.jpg

post-382886-0-61879500-1394767723.jpg

post-382886-0-84884500-1394767777.jpg

post-382886-0-20081500-1394767793.jpg

post-382886-0-98063300-1394767848.jpg

post-382886-0-30346300-1394767876.jpg

MemberMember
(@soje)

Posted : 03/14/2014 12:15 am

uSe unrefined organic coconut oil on your face morning and night .

Make sure you get the kind in a glass jar.

It solidifies under 75 degrees therefore,

accessibility is easier if you keep it by the stove or in a semi warm spot to keep it soft.

If you get a big jar, transferit into small pods and sit them around so you can use it all the time.

The coconut oil will heal your skin. You can still put moisturizer on after you put your oil on.

the oil will spread on your skin easily and thinly.

Drink lots of water and green tea if you can. green tea steeps at 175 degrees and for less than one minute.

resteap your green tea to drink several times . it is not done at just one steap.

You can even use your tea finally when you are finished with leaves as an astringent on skin.

so in this case you wil be cleansing inside and out to perfect your skin

expect to stay hydrated and be prepared to accomodate .

good luck, take good care.

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/14/2014 1:27 am

ur skin is sexy as hell. cheer up. i used wart remover on my upper lip because i thought i had cancer. trust me, you did not fuck up your face.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 03/14/2014 2:08 am

There are multiple treatments out there that when used in combination with each other should give pretty good results for the scarring acne causes. Although, there will never be a 100% improvement back to normal skin texture and smoothness. You should look into home procedures like the dermaroller or dermastamp, try tesing it out on other parts of your body first to get a feel for what your working with. From what I have seen the dermaroller and stamp seem to give people pretty good results when using other topicals and supplements in accordance to maximize results. There is also an option to have a "professional" do this if that would make you feel more comfortable although the cost i'm sure is pretty substantial, and you would require several rolls over the course of a year or two. Other than that there are other procedures such as subcision, excision, dermal fillers, enerjet, all the lasers, and micro silicon droplets. If you research all these treatments and then find out what combination of treatments would work best for you personally and then follow a plan like that, you should be able to get some nice looking improvements. It is not an easy road, it requires much patience and diligence the whole way through to see the changes take place. Also, what have you been doing to get rid of your acne? I'm asking because, more pimples = more scars...

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/14/2014 2:35 am

What was the concentration of hydrocortisone and how many times did you apply it?

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 03/14/2014 10:15 am

Hi everyone! Wow! I'm so amazed by the fact that you all responded! I've felt so isolated with this problem and it feels amazing to know there are people out there who are positive and can help.

The pictures are reversed so the first pictures is the most recent and the last is from December 2013. So there seems to be an improvement-I think. But then again, the redness is still there and more importantly, those scars!!!!

I used the drug store hydrocortisone - I have thrown it out so don't quite remember how much was in there. But I believe it's 2.5%.

How indented would you say the scars are? Do you think I'll have good results from sticking to topicals and rolling? I haven't seen a dermatologist yet - I should probably go asap. I was just in this "oh it'll heal on its own phase". I should probably go and see one ASAP. I just feel so depressed, I don't socialize anymore. Everyone notices it. Arrrrghhhhhh hate my life

I would apply it before going to bed and pretty much under my make up occasionally for about half a year in 2012.

I haven't been using anything to get rid of my acne, because my skin is so sensitive to products now. I have to stick with natural things and at time I don't put anything on my face.

I have been using Green Tea as an astringent. I take supplements right now and those have all helped with acne. I make sure to keep my hands away from my face and anything that could potentially cause flare-ups.

So my skin won't go back to normal?? :(:(

MemberMember
(@cycloverid)

Posted : 03/14/2014 1:28 pm

Fraxel repair would probably help. BUT MAKE SURE YOU SEE SOMEONE WHO IS REALLY EXPERIENCED!!!

I had moderate pitted scarring on one of my cheeks and forehead, so I had an ablative CO2 laser procedure done in desperation over a year and a half ago. The laser was Ultrapulse which is older and more aggressive. It messed me up badly, causing orange peel textured skin, raised scarring, HYPOpigmentation (permanent), hyperpigmentation (lasted 8 MONTHS!).

Since then I have had:

4 subcisions

4 restores (60-70mj, 25% coverage)

1 repair (60mj)

The subcisions were mildly effective, the restores didn't really do much of anything, and the one repair I had did the most. It is the one thing that is finally giving me hope that I can end the nightmare I have had for many years now. I have another one scheduled in a few months at 70mj. Your skin is in a completely different league than mine, so I personally think you look fine, but if you must have perfection I would go for fraxel repair. Aside from subcision, it's the only thing that I've seen that actually produces permanent results without causing more damage.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/15/2014 10:22 am

Your scars do not seem that severe, and they appear localized. The redness that still exists gives you a distorted viewpoint. No topical applications other than possibly Retin A will have any effect on the scars. You are a work in progress so you must bide your time until the redness goes away to see where you really stand. Stop posting pictures upside down if you want honest evaluations. Sideways and upside down pictures are just annoying, and serve no purpose.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/15/2014 4:54 pm

Hi Snapped, your skin will greatly improve in the next 6 months or so. Dont let it ruin your life, you're such a hottie ;)

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 03/16/2014 6:17 pm

I didn't post the pictures upside down! I think it's a glitch with the thread itself!

Thanks all for the comments, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about my skin now.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/17/2014 6:05 am

Hey, I would get on to a good skincare regimen and add a gentle retinoid cream. I have had good success with differin 0.1, although it controlled my acne quite quickly it took about six months of gentle use, every night, to see my scars smooth out, so don't give up. Along with this I use a gentle cream cleanser and an oil free moisturiser with spf. It can take time but I think a good retinoid cream is important to smooth out the skin, just be really gentle with it and you shouldn't find you get too much irritation. I think once you get your acne under control (which it looks like you have) it can take a good year or so to see your scars settle down, but things should improve :).

p.s please wait at least a year before you think about any serious treatments like laser ( which don't always produce good results and could make your skin even more sensitive). A year ago I thought my skin would never get any better and now it just keeps improving, so please take it from someone with experience, it might never be perfect but it will get better, especially once the redness reduces. If you have any questions feel free to message me. I know how difficult it can be in the beginning.

MemberMember
(@lauraleesa)

Posted : 03/18/2014 7:22 am

Have you reached a verdict on which treatment you are going to use for scarring?

I'm aware everyone is different, however myself and many others have experienced increased skin sensitivity and thinning from retin a, thus made skin more vulnerable to scarring and damage from external factors like sun and cold weather. I stopped using retin a two years ago and still can't say my skin is back to behaving normally.

I decided to use retin a when u was 22 for mild acne on forehead and the rest of my face because I was told it was a great preventative. About six months later my pores went from undetectable to increasingly large (orange peel texture), and began getting scars, which never ooccurred before retin a use, no matter the size of the pimple. Retin a thinned my skin and stripped its natural defenses. I wish someone would''ve warned me of the possible risks.

Cortisone thins the skin as well, so I would find a way to prevent acne without the use of harsh exfoliants until your skin has had some time to heal. Have you thought of supplementing with zinc and skin cleansing herbs like dandelion, yellow dock, and Oregon grape root?

Hope you find a solution that suits you!

MemberMember
(@lauraleesa)

Posted : 03/18/2014 7:24 am

Have you reached a verdict on which treatment you are going to use for scarring?

I'm aware everyone is different, however myself and many others have experienced increased skin sensitivity and thinning from retin a, thus made skin more vulnerable to scarring and damage from external factors like sun and cold weather. I stopped using retin a two years ago and still can't say my skin is back to behaving normally.

I decided to use retin a when u was 22 for mild acne on forehead and the rest of my face because I was told it was a great preventative. About six months later my pores went from undetectable to increasingly large (orange peel texture), and began getting scars, which never ooccurred before retin a use, no matter the size of the pimple. Retin a thinned my skin and stripped its natural defenses. I wish someone would''ve warned me of the possible risks.

Cortisone thins the skin as well, so I would find a way to prevent acne without the use of harsh exfoliants until your skin has had some time to heal. Have you thought of supplementing with zinc and skin cleansing herbs like dandelion, yellow dock, and Oregon grape root?

Hope you find a solution that suits you!

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 04/06/2014 6:14 pm

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your posts. I haven't yet reach a verdict as to what approach I should take. I just feel soooo uber depressed today because of my face and the fact that "giving it some time" hasn't quite worked. It will be almost a year since I've had this problem now.

I am considering the derma-pen. Apparently it's better and safer than the derm-roller - is that true? Also, where can I purchase this product and how do I go about using it?

My biggest worry is that it'll make it worse because my skin has thinned significantly.

Also, since summer is coming, does anyone know of good organic sunscreens to recommend?

What are some safe topics I should start using on my skin? I heard wheatgrass juice has amazing benefits. I'm also thinking of using hylauronic acid.

Please cheer me up people, I'm feeling so down. Please let know there's hope.

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 04/06/2014 8:00 pm

As of yesterday - beware of the lighting - it doesn't always look like this - it's more red at times and inflamed.

post-382886-0-82219000-1396832333.jpg

post-382886-0-68282600-1396832339.jpg

post-382886-0-82219000-1396832333.jpg

post-382886-0-68282600-1396832339.jpg

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 04/07/2014 2:25 pm

I think your skin is looking pretty good. At the moment mine is not as good as yours, but still I am happy I dont have active pimples and I just manage to cover my red marks with a cc cream and some powder. So, you are looking REALLY GOOD. KEEP UP WITH FAITH!

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 04/07/2014 8:02 pm

You should go to a cosmetic dermatologist. They will help you determine next steps. I feel like you would benefit from a medium depth peel but since you say your skin is thin, I don't know if this is a good option. A doc should know for sure. I personally haven't had much success with the Dermaroller or dermastamp but it is cheap enough so it might be worth a shot. Good luck and chin up...your skin is not bad.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/08/2014 5:04 am

have you got any make up on?

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 04/11/2014 1:32 pm

Hi, no I don't have any make up on.

For the past month, I've been on a strict supplement regimen: Vitamin E, MSM, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and occasional magnesium/calcium.

I feel like the skin thinning/collagen loss is making my cheeks sag too and i look so much older because of the nasolabial folds!!! :(:(

I'm only 28

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 04/12/2014 8:04 am

Hi, no I don't have any make up on.

For the past month, I've been on a strict supplement regimen: Vitamin E, MSM, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and occasional magnesium/calcium.

I feel like the skin thinning/collagen loss is making my cheeks sag too and i look so much older because of the nasolabial folds!!!

I'm only 28

aww sweetie dont worry. Your scarring isn't that noticeable . I have had 2nd degree burns from lemon juice- yes lemon juice- that is how sensitive my skin is . I had to pretend to be ill, hide so my mum would see my face. she caught sight of me later that day and nearly passed out. She wouldn't send me to the hospital - your mean't to go if you have 2nd degrees, especially if its on your face. She said it was my own karma- i had to stay with my face frying the whole day no colld water would get rid of the burning. Then i had to get the bus to school the next day and get called frickinn names by stupid b***hes from my school. Then there are the people that come right up to your face and ask u what happened.

Time is the biggest healer try calendula oil before you go to bed. Emu oil is another one that works for some for scar healing. The lemon and vinegar method is recoomended by some for scar healing. But your already taking vitamin c tablets -perhaps there are other things in the lemons that aid with scar healing.

Also put red sandalwood powder on your face combined with wild tumeric before you go to bed this wil seriously smoothen out your skin . The wild tumeric is so you dont stain your skin- normal tumeric stains. I have had amazing resuts with tumeric with some of my discolouration - no idea what specie of tumeric it was but i got in root form and it was red inside. But do try the wild tumeric and calendula oil. I know a girl that is prone to injury, luckily she has clear skin and has never had to deal with acne scarring. However she told me that after using calendula oil- for scariing on her arms(keloid) they were gone.

Overall with this it will take time maybe a year or nine months min - depends how regular you are with this

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/12/2014 8:28 am

How severe was your 2nd degree burn?

Did it scar or was it just superficial and partial?

Did you expose to the sun with lemon juice in your face? I've done that already and go some minor burn that went away quickly like a sunburn.

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:39 pm

It was a really stupid thing to do I applied undiluted lemon juice

How severe was your 2nd degree burn?

Did it scar or was it just superficial and partial?

Did you expose to the sun with lemon juice in your face? I've done that already and go some minor burn that went away quickly like a sunburn.

MemberMember
(@snapped)

Posted : 05/25/2014 8:37 pm

Nothing has improved.

Guys this is steroid atrophy i believe!

Im still waiting to see a dermotologist as I was referred by my doctor and in Canada there's a three month waiting list just to see a dermatologist.

I'm so depressed. :(

post-382886-0-33666400-1401068245.jpg

post-382886-0-14594900-1401068248.jpg

post-382886-0-65081100-1401068261.jpg

post-382886-0-51598400-1401068264.jpg

post-382886-0-33666400-1401068245.jpg

post-382886-0-14594900-1401068248.jpg

post-382886-0-65081100-1401068261.jpg

post-382886-0-51598400-1401068264.jpg

MemberMember
(@zippygent)

Posted : 05/26/2014 11:22 am

looks like ice pick scarring, very similar to mine I'm going to the same phase and not sure which treatments to seek between tca cross, fraxel laser or starting off with derma roller or stamping

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 07/25/2014 6:10 am

Hey, i know this is old but i just wondered if youve seen an improvements on the scarring?

the redness will go in time, the indents may take longer but believe me i was expecting something much worse when i read your post, i guessin some ligting your skin seems flawless more or less, and id be thankful you dont have huge throbbing cysts all over your face like i did