Notifications
Clear all

Someone With Experience With Toners, Please!

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 03/12/2014 10:26 pm

What are toners? How do they work? Do they even out your skin tone? What are some good toners, especially with AHA? Are AHA toners safe to use with the regimen? Are toners worth it? I have uneven skin tone, and I'm wondering if toners help with that. I've heard that toners are a waste of money and that they are too drying. Is that true?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/12/2014 10:52 pm

What are toners? How do they work? Do they even out your skin tone? What are some good toners, especially with AHA? Are AHA toners safe to use with the regimen? Are toners worth it? I have uneven skin tone, and I'm wondering if toners help with that. I've heard that toners are a waste of money and that they are too drying. Is that true?

You don't need a toner at all. Not even from Paula's Choice. :P

A basic and well-formulated lotion would do in most cases.

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 03/31/2014 9:47 pm

I found that BB creams help a lot with making your skin tone even, even the days after you wore it. Right now I am using Garnier's oily to combination skin BB cream and it is awesome. I still want to try an AHA toner, since I heard that they are pretty awesome.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 04/01/2014 1:51 pm

toners are great for evening skin tone. Just get one with glycolic acid and try to get an alcohol free one so it's not drying.

Pixi glow tonic is good. http://www.pixibeauty.co.uk/glow-tonic

Paula's choice ones are good too.

MemberMember
(@jess1caelizabeth)

Posted : 04/01/2014 2:34 pm

Most toners contain alcohol which is terrible for the skin. Yes it does get rid of oils and dirt on the skin, but the damage it does to the cells is worse. Even toners without alcohol, there is not much point to them other than to remove excess makeup. In terms of acne, it is irrelevant.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 04/01/2014 6:14 pm

Most toners contain alcohol which is terrible for the skin. Yes it does get rid of oils and dirt on the skin, but the damage it does to the cells is worse. Even toners without alcohol, there is not much point to them other than to remove excess makeup. In terms of acne, it is irrelevant.

Nothing gets rid of oil as no topical product (including alcohol) will intercept the sebaceous glands production of sebum as the sebaceous are far below the dermis where the chemicals can't reach. Topical products in general do nothing for oil control. If someone wants to truly "control" their sebaceous glands they need to go on accutane or wait for the aging process to kick in.

MemberMember
(@jess1caelizabeth)

Posted : 04/01/2014 7:57 pm

Nothing gets rid of oil as no topical product (including alcohol) will intercept the sebaceous glands production of sebum as the sebaceous are far below the dermis where the chemicals can't reach. Topical products in general do nothing for oil control. If someone wants to truly "control" their sebaceous glands they need to go on accutane or wait for the aging process to kick in.

Sorry, let me clarify, I did not mean that alcohol is a 'permanent' solution to sebum production. It is a temporary relief though.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 04/05/2014 2:46 pm

Toners in the original sense are obsolete but they have been replaced by a treatment stage instead. Toners are used for chemical exfoliation or hydration which is beneficial for the skin and they are not at all for removing makeup.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/07/2014 8:17 am

i use a toner daily and it works great at removing my makeup and the dead skin. i use the proactiv one with glycolic acid and it is great stuff i cant say enough about it. its no wonder i was breaking out so bad before because the amount of makeup and dead skin that is on the cotton ball after cleansing is just gross. the glycolic acid in the toner keeps my pores nice and clear as well.

if you want something that is more gentle use thayers alcohol free toner that stuff works pretty well too.