Notifications
Clear all

Not Eating Due To Acne

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 03/12/2014 2:59 pm

So I get these days where I get extremely depressed for three days and just lose my appetite, mostly when I look in the mirror. Should I go on Accutane already? I'm in my 20's and I'm real against the drug and don't know if my stomach could handle it, but the acne is hurting me badly body wide in a way. Do low doses really work that well? Any low dose logs of like 10 mg that people actually completed?

Thanks..

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 03/12/2014 3:17 pm

I'm also not eating due to my acne, but not only from depression, but also because I've been diagnosed with an eating disorder because I'm afraid EVERYTHING will break me out... I'm also afraid of Accutane... But I'm also interested to know if low doses work. I would feel more comfortable with that.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here. I could definitely relate to what you are going through, as I'm sure many others here can as well. <3

Btw I love the Harvest Moon avatar. :3 haha

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/12/2014 3:47 pm

i actually started thinking the opposite some months ago. because most of us are skinny, i want to fatten up. i also have a sense that the fat behind the skin will somehow help it.

but seemingly i can't get fat(fatter) anymore. i don't want to use an unhealthy diet for this purpose, just eat ..a lot (many meals).

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/12/2014 4:50 pm

find out what is the basics of what you should avoid then work from there because even if you go on accutane the acne is still gonna come back sooner or later

MemberMember
(@dari-elle)

Posted : 03/12/2014 6:47 pm

I'm also not eating due to my acne, but not only from depression, but also because I've been diagnosed with an eating disorder because I'm afraid EVERYTHING will break me out... I'm also afraid of Accutane... But I'm also interested to know if low doses work. I would feel more comfortable with that.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here. I could definitely relate to what you are going through, as I'm sure many others here can as well. <3

Yup, this is me right here. The bad thing is that while i rarely ate, my skin healed 100%, you'd never guess that i had acne before. So that became my motivation :/ and the depression made everything worse

MemberMember
(@tutupointe)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:15 pm

Yup, this is me right here. The bad thing is that while i rarely ate, my skin healed 100%, you'd never guess that i had acne before. So that became my motivation :/ and the depression made everything worse

YASSS exactly! When I stopped eating everything except for cabbage and sometimes gluten free pasta, I cleared up a bit. So I was like "Oooo finally a cure!" But I wish I never did that, because I'm now so deep into depression/my eating disorder that I don't know if I'll ever get out. Are you still struggling with your eating disorder?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:21 pm

So I get these days where I get extremely depressed for three days and just lose my appetite, mostly when I look in the mirror. Should I go on Accutane already? I'm in my 20's and I'm real against the drug and don't know if my stomach could handle it, but the acne is hurting me badly body wide in a way. Do low doses really work that well? Any low dose logs of like 10 mg that people actually completed?

Thanks..

Btw I love the Harvest Moon avatar. :3 haha

I really hate seeing people get paranoid about diet.

Please keep in mind that there isn't any solid evidence about which foods cause acne, let alone which diet is best.

Low doses can work, but it depends how severe your acne is and whether it's truly acne.

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:27 pm

It's truly acne according to my derms and diet sorta doesn't work for me anymore either. I have moderate acne that's beginning to scar and acne on back/chest. Being female it's made me nuts lol. Thanks for the compliments on avatar by the way. Why do people keep saying the acne will come back on Accutane? If that were the case it'd never be used I thought.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:56 pm

It's truly acne according to my derms and diet sorta doesn't work for me anymore either. I have moderate acne that's beginning to scar and acne on back/chest. Being female it's made me nuts lol. Thanks for the compliments on avatar by the way. Why do people keep saying the acne will come back on Accutane? If that were the case it'd never be used I thought.

Acne can return on Accutane for numerous reasons, but one of the major ones is that the patients don't eat enough fat during the course. You need to eat a lot of fat for Accutane to be more bioavailable.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 03/12/2014 8:38 pm

maybe diet isn't the key for everyone but it was for me....accutane didn't work for me, after 7 months and some very bad side effects I stopped

so I had no little magic pill option, I had to get clear the hard way- the two big triggers for acne sufferers are gluten and dairy....I stopped gluten for 30 days and it was amazing how fast it helped, I had bad cystic acne, not little whiteheads, the kind you HAVE to get a steriod injection in to ever have it go away....gluten free really helped but not all the way, so after a few months I quit dairy, and that really just about did the rest

oh and my doctor says I just outgrew it, couldn't be diet....yeah okay, just an AMAZING coincidence....AMAZING, yeah okay

so I live gluten and diary free- there is plenty that you can eat....plenty....good luck to you all, but please seriously TRY the diet changes, TRY them okay? it just takes resolve, 30 days and don't cheat.....and keep your carbs down if you can, a lot of gluten free packaged products are made with rice flour, which is junk...and don't overdo on sugar, and no crap, try to not eat processed food....come on you can do it! we've been through so much, what's 30 days more to give it a try??

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/13/2014 2:26 am

maybe diet isn't the key for everyone but it was for me....accutane didn't work for me, after 7 months and some very bad side effects I stopped

so I had no little magic pill option, I had to get clear the hard way- the two big triggers for acne sufferers are gluten and dairy....I stopped gluten for 30 days and it was amazing how fast it helped, I had bad cystic acne, not little whiteheads, the kind you HAVE to get a steriod injection in to ever have it go away....gluten free really helped but not all the way, so after a few months I quit dairy, and that really just about did the rest

oh and my doctor says I just outgrew it, couldn't be diet....yeah okay, just an AMAZING coincidence....AMAZING, yeah okay

so I live gluten and diary free- there is plenty that you can eat....plenty....good luck to you all, but please seriously TRY the diet changes, TRY them okay? it just takes resolve, 30 days and don't cheat.....and keep your carbs down if you can, a lot of gluten free packaged products are made with rice flour, which is junk...and don't overdo on sugar, and no crap, try to not eat processed food....come on you can do it! we've been through so much, what's 30 days more to give it a try??

the thing is you can't compare dairy with ..carrots.

i was 1month gluten free (actually no grains) and with no results.

and dairy free i am for 6months now, again with no results.

these make sense but, "you" can't ask me to try avoiding carrots now.. because i too would get insane and paranoid (like.. maybe it's the cabbage.. how about the parsley.. i do eat that quite a lot..)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 03/13/2014 6:59 am

you missed my first sentence - DIET ISN'T THE KEY FOR EVERYONE....did you miss that sentence?

then I went on to say ACCUTANE didn't for me, but obviously it does for others

do you see the point emerging here? acne doesn't have ONE cause, and each human body is unique....we have to be forensic investigators....and it takes work, but there is no need for paranoia, come on people

READ READ READ READ READ READ READ....about common triggers (carrots are not a common trigger, please let's be serious and help people here), but what are common triggers for SOME (again, see the point here nothing works for EVERYONE), oh I see dairy is a common trigger let me try it for 30 days (not for life, but 30 days, who isn't willing to do that) and oh I see gluten is another common trigger, so if dairy didn't work then maybe gluten avoidance will help

and I kept a journal of what I hate, my mood, what topicals, and kept track of new lesions.....it is hard work, and it took me six months + but I did it, that was all I was offering....read up, try the COMMON trigger avoidance, that is all I was saying

same thing I did with my topical routine, I read up on what helped a lot of people (not ALL) and what should I try, and I worked it down from there

it's just statistics, read up and try it and journal....if that is too hard, then you can complain and be paranoid, that is another option, but likely won't bring you results

MemberMember
(@krisnicky)

Posted : 03/15/2014 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this site so I'm not sure what part of this thread my post will end up responding to, so if it doesn't make sense with what you've posted just ignore that. I just wanted to share some info on what's been mentioned here-- surrounding issues of diet and going on accutane- incase it's helpful for anyone. However, I'm not a professional! :)

First off, I have battled with acne for years on & off, but not as severe as some. The real bad breakouts started when I began experiencing cystic acne and the scarring started within the last 6 months.

Prior to this two things kept my skin completely clear

1) when I was on the birth control Diane35 ( after a couple years my doctor told me she was no longer prescribing this pill because it was linked to blood clots)

2) my diet (after years of having breakouts) I finally decided to eliminate everything that had links to skin & health issues; sugar, gluten, dairy& more. I took all these foods or anything containing them out of my diet, I also only ate organic foods, didn't eat any sugar- even natural sugars (the only fruit I ate was green apples as they don't contain sugar) - I know this seems extreme but I wanted to give my body a detox- however, I have come across sites claiming completely removing sugar can cause a systemic candida reaction ... Or something along those lines. I also didn't eat any meat aside from fish & chicken. The results were decreased body aches and pains, increased energy, improved sleep and clear skin. I kept this up for a long time and felt great. Mind you, I was supplementing all the vitamins I wasn't receiving in my diet through those foods with others and capsules. After a period I just couldn't keep it up. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not slowly incorporating some things back into my diet to see which items affected my body negatively, something I intend to do again when I'm off accutane.

Foods that are high in vitamin A that should be avoided on accutane but would be great as a juicing strategy for those not wanting to take accutane are:

Sweet potatoes, carrots, kale*****, romaine, squash, sweet peppers, tuna, cantaloupe, tropical fruits like mango.

If you are depressed or not eating you should see a doctor and get some support if you haven't already. Both of the above are hard on your body and in the long run will only contribute negatively to your health and skin. Eating hardly anything could also contribute to or cause the depression because your body isn't getting the proper nutrition to function, every cell in your body needs these daily doses of nutrients like B12, vitamin C, vitamin D, iron etc to release the chemicals that give you energy and help you feel good, starving your body of its requirements to function will lead to tiredness, sadness, poor sleep-- it maybe that your skin is better without food because your not eating the things that are aggravating it. If you make it your mission to find out what those things are, as suggested by other writers here you can start eating more healthy and avoid the items that are causing you problems.

As a side note- foods that assists the uptake of accutane- fats- are healthy fats like avacado, olive oil, samon etc.

Accurate in small doses;

It's my understanding that your accutane dose depends on your weight, and is calculated by figuring out a goal dose. For example my goal dose for 5-6 months is just over 50, but I am taking 40 for the first 2 months, I'm 5'2" and fluctuate between 115-120.

I hope this post helps someone, and I'm here to chat with anyone about your experiences or just if you need to talk!

MemberMember
(@dari-elle)

Posted : 03/16/2014 8:08 pm

YASSS exactly! When I stopped eating everything except for cabbage and sometimes gluten free pasta, I cleared up a bit. So I was like "Oooo finally a cure!" But I wish I never did that, because I'm now so deep into depression/my eating disorder that I don't know if I'll ever get out. Are you still struggling with your eating disorder?

Yeah i am. Even though i've seen multiple therapists,i always end up relapsing and start self harming again :/ so at this point, i doubt i'll ever get better