Notifications
Clear all

What Is Happening To My Face? Please Help

MemberMember
(@d424friday)

Posted : 03/12/2014 9:31 am

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Basically for about 5 years(since i was 15) I've had severe acne/inflammation . But it's rather complicated.

What happens is when I ingest anything(food, drinks, supplements etc.) my face gets immediately extremely red (mostly around the nose/mouth) my whole face gets really inflamed and goes red/yellow/generally discoloured. It becomes quite wrinkly a couple of hours later and the next day i'll get acne around the red areas.

This happens with virtually anything i can think of that is ingested, , the severity of the inflammation depends on what/how much i've ingested. With dairy products/fats being the worst ( things like eggs and advocados/almonds destroy my face)

I can stabilize it for a few days if i take chromium and only eat meat/vegetables/brown rice/drink water but after a few days this becomes ineffective, my blood sugar goes really low and my face will randomly start getting red/inflamed etc again. It's starting to get me really depressed as my skin can go from decent looking to absolutely horrific in a matter of seconds and it lasts for days, it looks so bad sometimes i don't even go out the house.

I suspect it is partially blood sugar related due to the fact that chromium helped. But I've tried things like metformin which only mildly helped, and when i tried cinnamon it set off the reaction again. And cinnamon is supposed to help blood sugar.

Things that don't set off the reaction:

water

plain meat (If the meat has fat on it the reaction starts )

vegetables

brown rice

chromium supplement

Literally anything else that can be ingested will probably set off a reaction, even random things like:

iron supplements

gelatin capsules

oatmeal

fruit

Things that set off the reaction badly that i can think of at the moment.

.dairy products

.tomato ketchup

.any type of fats

.spices

.sugary foods/drinks

I would really appreciate any help, does anyone have any idea what is going on? I've never seen anything on the internet of anyone having something similar. I've been to the Dr many times, tried multiple creams, all have not worked. I've had food allergy tests which all came back negative. I'm going back again tomorrow to the Dr after a year of trying my own rememdies, but I don't have much faith in them.

MemberMember
(@claudiazwemmen30)

Posted : 03/12/2014 10:24 am

Could it be acne rosacea?

http://www.medicinenet.com/rosacea/article.htm

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 03/12/2014 11:21 am

I have rosacea, and very mild acne ( i dont actually have any active spots on my face right now) but my story is a confusing one. I have rosacea that reacts to foods as well- so my derm recc a allergist- so i went and got tested for foods- found out i have intolerances to many things (most i already knew beforehand but it was nice to get a confirmation) - oatmeal was listed, all citrus fruits, peaches, bananas (even though i cheat and have one every once and a while), bakers yeast, soy, dairy, almonds, tomatoes, and the list goes on. I got this done like a year and a half ago, it was difficult at first to cut what i can eat but after awhile i got used to it. Oh and im lactose intolerant- it sucks so bad. I love latte's (this love is powerful) sometimes im just like F*&k it , and decide to live in the moment- and just have one. But like 5 to 10 mins later i start feeling weird and for like 3 hours i feel like my stomach is eating itself.

Anyways- go see an allergist :) good luck!

MemberMember
(@d424friday)

Posted : 03/12/2014 12:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into Rosacea. From the article you linked the symptoms don't quite add up, my inflamation also looks a lot different from the picture I've seen of Rosacea, but i'll keep it in mind and mention it to the Dr.

I have rosacea, and very mild acne ( i dont actually have any active spots on my face right now) but my story is a confusing one. I have rosacea that reacts to foods as well- so my derm recc a allergist- so i went and got tested for foods- found out i have intolerances to many things (most i already knew beforehand but it was nice to get a confirmation) - oatmeal was listed, all citrus fruits, peaches, bananas (even though i cheat and have one every once and a while), bakers yeast, soy, dairy, almonds, tomatoes, and the list goes on. I got this done like a year and a half ago, it was difficult at first to cut what i can eat but after awhile i got used to it. Oh and im lactose intolerant- it sucks so bad. I love latte's (this love is powerful) sometimes im just like F*&k it , and decide to live in the moment- and just have one. But like 5 to 10 mins later i start feeling weird and for like 3 hours i feel like my stomach is eating itself.

Anyways- go see an allergist good luck!

That's what i get even more confused, I believe i had an allergy test where they put dots of liquid on my hand to see if i reacted, once of them being egg (which makes me flare up really badly when ingested) and it came back fine. Is there a different food allergy test i would need to get?

And the problem is if i cut out the foods i couldn't eat i'd be eating brown rice plain meat and vegetables for the rest of my life :/ I even tried this at one point when I'd had enough and it was very depressing eating that everyday, and still occasionally it would randomly flare up.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 03/12/2014 12:36 pm

That's what i get even more confused, I believe i had an allergy test where they put dots of liquid on my hand to see if i reacted, once of them being egg (which makes me flare up really badly when ingested) and it came back fine. Is there a different food allergy test i would need to get?

And the problem is if i cut out the foods i couldn't eat i'd be eating brown rice plain meat and vegetables for the rest of my life :/ I even tried this at one point when I'd had enough and it was very depressing eating that everyday, and still occasionally it would randomly flare up.

Thats what i got- the liquid was marked in grid form on my arm.

I do eat very plainly- it really sucks so i feel for you.

I live on a college campus so sometimes its annoying when i cant have 85% of what they offer.

Usually i just have a freshly made wrap (with either fresh sliced deli chicken or ham and lettuce, cucumbers, and red onion) and have that all grilled on a flat bread grill. Thats my only meal of the day... im more of a grazer (just like my father which is funny) I like to munch here and there throughout the day- i hate big meals. Usually for a snack i eat frosted mini wheats, or a pretzel. I gave up peanut butter and jelly because peanut butter gives me a very tiny reaction. I like Rice Krispies cereal too. Its sad to not have it with milk- but whatever. I only drink water i have a measured water bottle so i can keep track (i drink about 4000ML daily). And also i have only 1 special drink per day, which is usually just an iced tea. I dont eat sweets, so i need something that has a decent amount of sugar so i dont pass out. Yesterday i didnt get enough in me before my class that is from 11 to 4:30- i ended up getting the shakes. My hands just could not stop shaking, it was so odd.

I too cant have eggs, if i do its only a small ingredient in something i eat. So usually for breakfast i will have toast or a make a dairy free spinach shake in my blender (Fresh spinach, banana, 4 ice cubes, 3/4 cup of water, and sometimes i add a bit of raw sugar) This is a nice thing to have for breakfast- its pretty good tasting for something thats not rich in dairy and it have veggies!.

MemberMember
(@d424friday)

Posted : 03/12/2014 3:37 pm

Ye that sucks :( glad you've got things under control . As i said though literally the only things that don't cause the reaction are brown rice/meat/vegetables and water. I've tried a ridiculous amount of foods over the 5 years and have even done an elimination diet through a dietician and everything else effects it, even things like paracetamol tablets . Restricted diet is not the answer for me here I don't think ( that's not say say i won't eliminate things like dairy and gluten which are generally bad for the skin anyway)

MemberMember
(@d424friday)

Posted : 03/13/2014 3:34 pm

Is it a burning sensation? If so then your G.I tract is seriously inflamed and you may have a fungal infection. Nothing to worry about, you can get it under control. I would highly recommend you cut out 1.) processed foods 2.) GMO'd foods 3.) Foods sprayed by pesticides (eat Organic Fruits and Veggies) 4.) Cut Gluten and Wheat out 5.) GET AN ALLERGY OR SENSITIVITY TEST* and 6.) are you taking anti-biotics? Supplement with Aloe Vera Leaf (eat it) and apply it to your face over night, chaga tea, eat lots of dark leafy green vegetables with organic meat, get plenty of sleep, meditate, do yoga, and stretch any tight muscles in your body. It is imperative to get your diet right to your metabolic needs, specific to YOU. Read up on Nutritional Typing and check out some of Paul Chek's work on holistic health, it will get you back on track. It will be a long process but you can do it. Cheers and best of luck

It does slightly burn/ is sore. Could I have a fungal infection or my GI tract be inflamed for 5 years straight? Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not taking any anti biotics.