Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne On Cheeks- Scarring?

MemberMember
(@wuzy)

Posted : 03/11/2014 11:58 pm

post-382456-0-41874200-1394599958.jpg

post-382456-0-37549300-1394599965.jpg

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here but I just have to get this off my chest. Acne is seriously starting to take over myself:

Ever since I started puberty which was at the start of year 9, I developed acne. At first it wasn't bad, just a little pimple here and there- but then my friends started telling me that I was getting acne. I wasn't worried though, because I thought acne was just a normal stage of teenage life. I started washing my face with cetaphil gentle cleanser for the time being in year 9, but my acne never really bothered me.

Year 10 was when I started to notice how bad my acne was. Infact, a girl who I liked and talked to alot ONLINE was so excited to meet me, but then got put off when she saw my face (I think) cause she said that 'I looked different then what I did online' and recommended some facial cleansers (WHICH I ALREADY USED DUH). Although we still dated for a month, I definitely knew that she would have been much more attracted to me if I had a flawless face.

At the end of year 10, my face cleared up according to my friends mum. But then she recommended that I use benzoyl peroxide for my zits. So I used it and I reckon my face actually got worse, although I really don't have any photos to prove it.

Now I'm in year 12 and my acne has never been worse. I started using epiduo (has BP) late november last year and took doxycycline for 4 months (and stopped as it didn't really help). My acne improved but I recently broke out BADLY last month. I've tried to not let acne control my life and have used cleansers but none of them have helped.

The thing I just don't understand is that why is it me who has such bad acne? I take care of my face better than the majority of my peers... I believe my acne is severe but could I have some opinions? Do I have scarring or is my face just red because of the epiduo I use or both? Also some advice on how to get rid of these DISGUSTING acne marks (should I use saticylic acid? should i exfoliate? etc etc)

Also I only tend to breakout on my cheeks and NOWHERE ELSE.

Please help me guys! :(

post-382456-0-41874200-1394599958.jpg

post-382456-0-37549300-1394599965.jpg

MemberMember
(@wuzy)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:21 am

Looks better and not as red in the morning and before I sleep. thats what it looks like during the day.

MemberMember
(@1dreamerforever)

Posted : 03/27/2014 4:42 pm

I serously just made an account just so i can answer you. Your story is almost exactly like mine! Im in year 12 and am 17,5 years old I started getting pimples when i was 11 i think and have been battling with it for nearly 7 years.My cheeks are exactly like yours but maybe now i might not have AS many pimples but a hell of a lot of scars that resemble pimples. I have been to 3 dermatologists in which the 2 i saw when my acne was mild and it didnt help at all and the third i saw in october. My 3rd and last dermo perscribed accutane but i refused to take it because i strongly felt that id rather live with acne for a little longer rather than have suicidal thoughts and a chance of problems with getting pregnent in the future. After i refused ( and he kinda got mad) he prescribed doxycyline, in which i took for 4 months and after that 2 months of minicin which i am currently still taking. I definetly have seen a huge difference but my face is still not clear. 2 months ago i felt like this was the end, that my mom wouldnt take me to another dermotologist and that i spent a lot of money we needed on something only semi helpfull, so i decided to change my diet. I went completely vegan and gluten free for 24 days. And yes i saw a difference and i finally could look at my self in the mirror and say that my skin felt and looked clear. After that i had 4 cheat days and went back on it for 7 days and now i am back to cheat days. And my face looks and feels like crap from the cheat days. SO NOW I CAN SEE THAT DIET DOES MATTER. I reccomend to you to TRY to go vegan or at least to eat a lot less meat and animal products and eat fruit and veggies instead for three weeks. I am a major sweet and junk fan so if i can do it and actually like it that so can you. Search for more information if you'd like to give it a try. Im sorry that this is so long but this is the first time that ive seen someone with the exact same problem as me, ( i can't find anyone in my whole country) so i wanted to share my own on going battle and maybe help you more than i can ever to myself. If you want to ask my anything or see my skin befores and afters ( even though my skin is still ksdhuegskg?) send me a message on here or twitter: @1dreamerforever I hope i helped even just a bit! Keep fighting

PICTURE INFO: i cant believe im posting them but anyway

Imagine my cheeks like yours 6 months ago and worse probably

whiter picture: after doxycycline, during minocin and during veganism and gluten free

darker picture: after the 24 days of vegan gluten free

You may not see a difference but i do and if you do give it a try!

post-378949-0-89076800-1395956131.jpg

post-378949-0-54074600-1395956178.jpg

post-378949-0-89076800-1395956131.jpg

post-378949-0-54074600-1395956178.jpg

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/28/2014 1:01 am

I serously just made an account just so i can answer you. Your story is almost exactly like mine! Im in year 12 and am 17,5 years old I started getting pimples when i was 11 i think and have been battling with it for nearly 7 years.My cheeks are exactly like yours but maybe now i might not have AS many pimples but a hell of a lot of scars that resemble pimples. I have been to 3 dermatologists in which the 2 i saw when my acne was mild and it didnt help at all and the third i saw in october. My 3rd and last dermo perscribed accutane but i refused to take it because i strongly felt that id rather live with acne for a little longer rather than have suicidal thoughts and a chance of problems with getting pregnent in the future. After i refused ( and he kinda got mad) he prescribed doxycyline, in which i took for 4 months and after that 2 months of minicin which i am currently still taking. I definetly have seen a huge difference but my face is still not clear. 2 months ago i felt like this was the end, that my mom wouldnt take me to another dermotologist and that i spent a lot of money we needed on something only semi helpfull, so i decided to change my diet. I went completely vegan and gluten free for 24 days. And yes i saw a difference and i finally could look at my self in the mirror and say that my skin felt and looked clear. After that i had 4 cheat days and went back on it for 7 days and now i am back to cheat days. And my face looks and feels like crap from the cheat days. SO NOW I CAN SEE THAT DIET DOES MATTER. I reccomend to you to TRY to go vegan or at least to eat a lot less meat and animal products and eat fruit and veggies instead for three weeks. I am a major sweet and junk fan so if i can do it and actually like it that so can you. Search for more information if you'd like to give it a try. Im sorry that this is so long but this is the first time that ive seen someone with the exact same problem as me, ( i can't find anyone in my whole country) so i wanted to share my own on going battle and maybe help you more than i can ever to myself. If you want to ask my anything or see my skin befores and afters ( even though my skin is still ksdhuegskg?) send me a message on here or twitter: @1dreamerforever I hope i helped even just a bit! Keep fighting

PICTURE INFO: i cant believe im posting them but anyway

Imagine my cheeks like yours 6 months ago and worse probably

whiter picture: after doxycycline, during minocin and during veganism and gluten free

darker picture: after the 24 days of vegan gluten free

You may not see a difference but i do and if you do give it a try!

You look incredibly pretty though. I wouldn't even worry about those scars, actually i would trade places with you and take your scars just so i could have your facial features. wow.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/28/2014 3:11 am

@1directionerforever

Yes, diet does matter a bit but wuzy should not depend on this to get clear. For example, I went on all kinds of diets (paleo, vegan, fasting) and nothing worked. Diet does not CAUSE acne, but it could make it a bit worse. If she only goes the diet route, she could end up with new acne and new scars that will last a lifetime.

@wuzy

The main treatments you should get are prescription meds like birth control pills (to take care of the hormone aspect, retinoids (tazorac or retin a) and oral antibiotics. Also, if you can, get salicylic acid peels every two weeks to increase epithelial cell turnover. You must be aggressive because indented scars are for life. The redness will fade with time and is not actual scarring. I would not recommend treating the red marks until the active acne is gone, and you MUST prevent future breakouts. Do not buy the 'natural' diet stuff will cure your acne; nature can only do so much and it's 'natural' to get acne. I've tried every diet under the sun in my teens. You have acne because of your genetics: increased sebum production, decreased skin turnover rate, and more Propionibacterium Acnes bacteria on your skin due to that. The bacteria that causes acne actually has a name! Hence why you must get oral antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/28/2014 3:17 am

Yeah, I agree with the above. You are so beautifull! I'm 17 and never saw a girl so pretty in my highschool :)

In fact, you are also kind. Thanks for helping us and stick around acne.org!

Uzzy, you dont have scars properly. Red marks are not scars. Although they are still noticeable, they will fade and acne scars wont. Accutane should be your best option, I've tryed it but I didnt have much acne - it was more a perfection issue. After 1month my face was dry and unhealthy but clean! Red marks started to fade and now I have like 1 pimple a week because I sometimes eat a lot of junk food :P

Please, consider this treatment. 2months seem enough to take out youre acne and besides dry skin/hair and eyes for a while you dont have nothing to worry

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/28/2014 3:33 am

Yeah, I agree with the above. You are so beautifull! I'm 17 and never saw a girl so pretty in my highschool

In fact, you are also kind. Thanks for helping us and stick around acne.org!

Uzzy, you dont have scars properly. Red marks are not scars. Although they are still noticeable, they will fade and acne scars wont. Accutane should be your best option, I've tryed it but I didnt have much acne - it was more a perfection issue. After 1month my face was dry and unhealthy but clean! Red marks started to fade and now I have like 1 pimple a week because I sometimes eat a lot of junk food

Please, consider this treatment. 2months seem enough to take out youre acne and besides dry skin/hair and eyes for a while you dont have nothing to worry

She does have some indented scarring if you look for it. Looks like that one area on the left cheek has some shallow scars. But, the redness in them makes it hard to see.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/28/2014 2:42 pm

I'm sorry 4meracne, but I can't notice them. You're probably right but even if she has scars they are shallow and not noticeable.

MemberMember
(@wuzy)

Posted : 04/02/2014 6:02 am

Hey thanks for the replies guys! I just have three quick questions:

1.Should I use stop using oral antibiotics and epiduo (benzoyl peroxide cream + retin A) cause I reckon they do get rid of acne pimples but just clog up my skin- leading to future breakouts! Also, I've heard that those chemicals are not good for your skin as they release free radicals (cancer causing substances) AND you can develop a dependence on those products for life.

2. How often should I use a non-clomogenic moisturiser like cetaphil? Twice or once a day (morning/night)?

3. Should I use a physical exfoliator with microbeads that contains salicylic acid (but you cannot use salicylic acid WITH epiduo acne cream). Would exfoliating worsen my red marks or cause scars on active pimples?

Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@colorsketch)

Posted : 04/05/2014 11:44 pm

1. No don't stop but maybe try minocycline my son's had great results.

2. I guess this depends on your skins dryness only you can make that decision.

3. I would say no because it may aggravate your acne try a chemical exfoliation with glycolic acid instead.

I suffered from acne as a teen and early adult and now my son's going through a similar thing and he is making amazing progress by attacking the acne on a number of different fronts such as antibiotics, vitamins and a other topical creams etc. Good luck wuzy

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 04/06/2014 2:42 am

put some apple cider vinegar across your cheeks, its an astringent and hsould dry it out accordingly. your luck you dont have massive dents, just active sites. much hope for you both. heal quickly will ya !

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 04/06/2014 9:12 am

The active acne and redness must dissipate before any real evaluation can be made.

MemberMember
(@manda92)

Posted : 01/03/2019 12:20 am

So this is very old but was wondering if you ever became clear? I was going to suggest accutane.