Notifications
Clear all

Just Started Spiro-Looking For Advice

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/11/2014 3:16 pm

Hello, long time browser first time posting!

So I guess I'll go into a short bio- I've suffered with acne since I was about 11 years old. I used to have horrible cysts, would cancel plans, the worst self esteem--it was bad. I went on Accutane in 2012 and it did wonders for my skin. After 6 months of treatment my derm took me off of it because I was clear. My acne then crept up later in the year and I was put back on Accutane and again it worked its magic. However, my acne has just recently crept back with a vegence.

Thankfully I haven't been getting those nasty cysts anymore however I still get clogged pores, whiteheads and blackheads. My derm told me it was hormonal acne and put me on Sprio (100mg) and low dose Retin A (0.025) I'm also on Sprintec BCP.

I just started 5 days ago, I havent had any new bumps form (knock on wood!) but I just want to know when you all started seeing results. And if you did have an initial breakout, was it similar to your own normal breakouts or worse?

Would really like some advice! Acne sufferers, unite! =)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:49 am

Hey Unique Cactus, saw your post in the other thread I am on. You are welcome to read through my spiro journey in my content. It seems that everyone is pretty different with timing and when they see results. Hormones are such a personal thing, and then you add in what other topicals or BC the person is taking. For my I had mild but persistent hormonal acne from major shift in hormones caused by bodybuilding and intense training. Started Spiro 12/30 and Yasmin 2 weeks after. I had a terrible IB the 2nd/3rd week of inflammed spots that was way worse then when I started. Derm put me on Doxy 200mg a day (still on it) to calm inflammation. Had a second IB of tons of small bumps/clogged pores sitting under the surface that started around week 4 or so and has been a ridiculously slow process of each week these clogs inflamming or coming to a head. It's like they take turns, chin flares then clears, left side flares then clears, etc. This was in areas that I wasn't even breaking out in before. So I have encorporated a great exfoliation plan and clearing these slowly but surely. The hormonal flare ups or spots seem to have slowed down, maybe 1 a week or every other week and clears shortly after. Things have changed since the beginning. I hit 2 1/2 months last Sunday and on my 3rd pack of Yasmin. I still have a fair way to go and then it will be clearing the PIH that has been leftover from the IBs.

I hope you have a great experience and stay strong, it may start working super fast for you. I was prescribed Retin A my 2nd month in and decided against it as I didn't want another initial breakout. It would have definitely speed up things in regards to clearing the clogged pores, I decided to use AHA/BHA product and peels instead. Look forward to hearing about your journey!!

So I guess I'll go into a short bio- I've suffered with acne since I was about 11 years old. I used to have horrible cysts, would cancel plans, the worst self esteem--it was bad. I went on Accutane in 2012 and it did wonders for my skin. After 6 months of treatment my derm took me off of it because I was clear. My acne then crept up later in the year and I was put back on Accutane and again it worked its magic. However, my acne has just recently crept back with a vegence.

Thankfully I haven't been getting those nasty cysts anymore however I still get clogged pores, whiteheads and blackheads. My derm told me it was hormonal acne and put me on Sprio (100mg) and low dose Retin A (0.025) I'm also on Sprintec BCP.

I just started 5 days ago, I havent had any new bumps form (knock on wood!) but I just want to know when you all started seeing results. And if you did have an initial breakout, was it similar to your own normal breakouts or worse?

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 1:55 am

Hey Unique Cactus, saw your post in the other thread I am on. You are welcome to read through my spiro journey in my content. It seems that everyone is pretty different with timing and when they see results. Hormones are such a personal thing, and then you add in what other topicals or BC the person is taking. For my I had mild but persistent hormonal acne from major shift in hormones caused by bodybuilding and intense training. Started Spiro 12/30 and Yasmin 2 weeks after. I had a terrible IB the 2nd/3rd week of inflammed spots that was way worse then when I started. Derm put me on Doxy 200mg a day (still on it) to calm inflammation. Had a second IB of tons of small bumps/clogged pores sitting under the surface that started around week 4 or so and has been a ridiculously slow process of each week these clogs inflamming or coming to a head. It's like they take turns, chin flares then clears, left side flares then clears, etc. This was in areas that I wasn't even breaking out in before. So I have encorporated a great exfoliation plan and clearing these slowly but surely. The hormonal flare ups or spots seem to have slowed down, maybe 1 a week or every other week and clears shortly after. Things have changed since the beginning. I hit 2 1/2 months last Sunday and on my 3rd pack of Yasmin. I still have a fair way to go and then it will be clearing the PIH that has been leftover from the IBs.

I hope you have a great experience and stay strong, it may start working super fast for you. I was prescribed Retin A my 2nd month in and decided against it as I didn't want another initial breakout. It would have definitely speed up things in regards to clearing the clogged pores, I decided to use AHA/BHA product and peels instead. Look forward to hearing about your journey!!

Thanks CarpeMomentum! Unfortunately I think I'm starting to see a couple of new bumps form. I left my Retin-A at home so I'm trying a Lush product called Grease Lightening that is meant to target zits. Hopefully it will tame them until my mom ships my Retin-A to my apartment. Also tried to find your Spiro Log but couldn't! Will look again. Check out mine as well!

Also, whats your exfoliation plan? I want to plan ahead just in case!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/13/2014 7:38 am

That should be the link to my topic.

Exfoliation plan is as follows:

Currently use:

DDF Glycolic toner after washing

Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (just ordered Diana Yvonne 5% and will swap that out at night to see what results it brings)

Spot treat with Paula's Choice BHA 9%

Weekly MUAC 25% Mandelic Acid peel (1st one last night- already woke up a ton of clogged pores :( Good, but not good if you know what I mean) Purging begings

Going to incorporate MUAC 15% Salicylic and I also have an 8% I will try first.

This is definitely the most challenging time I've been through dealing with acne, but this bored and all of the members have helped so much. I look forward to staying in touch and seeing how things go with you!!

about your journey!!

Thanks CarpeMomentum! Unfortunately I think I'm starting to see a couple of new bumps form. I left my Retin-A at home so I'm trying a Lush product called Grease Lightening that is meant to target zits. Hopefully it will tame them until my mom ships my Retin-A to my apartment. Also tried to find your Spiro Log but couldn't! Will look again. Check out mine as well!

MemberMember
(@uniquecactus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 12:48 pm

Thanks so much!

Thats my log as well, looking forward to hearing about your progression!

CarpeMomentum, on 13 Mar 2014 - 08:42, said:

That should be the link to my topic.

Exfoliation plan is as follows:

Currently use:

DDF Glycolic toner after washing

Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (just ordered Diana Yvonne 5% and will swap that out at night to see what results it brings)

Spot treat with Paula's Choice BHA 9%

Weekly MUAC 25% Mandelic Acid peel (1st one last night- already woke up a ton of clogged pores Good, but not good if you know what I mean) Purging begings

Going to incorporate MUAC 15% Salicylic and I also have an 8% I will try first.

This is definitely the most challenging time I've been through dealing with acne, but this bored and all of the members have helped so much. I look forward to staying in touch and seeing how things go with you!!

about your journey!!