Notifications
Clear all

How Should I Combine Clindamycin And Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 03/11/2014 9:19 am

I used to be on Duac, but due to moving out of the US, I'm unable to get my prescription of it refilled. Rather than going to a new dermatologist, I decided to try buying the two active ingredients, that being clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide, separately. I'm trying to figure out now how I should apply them.

Should I do one in the morning and one in night? The instructions on the benzoyl peroxide say to apply it, then wash off after 20 minutes. So I was thinking maybe I'd do that and then apply the clindamycin after washing off the benzoyl peroxide. I don't really like the idea of washing the benzoyl peroxide off though... Should I just apply both together? Does the order matter? I don't know what to do, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/11/2014 1:26 pm

I use clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. I used to use clindoxyl (which is the same thing as Duac) but it seemed to dry me out so I switched to using clindamycin by itself and then applying BP on top. What kind of topical is your clindamycin? Is it a gel or a liquid? I use the clindamycin phosphate liquid so I just put that on first, wait about 5-10 minutes for it to dry and then put BP on top. Also, I've never heard of BP being washed off 20 minutes after it's put on...that doesn't seem very effective to me. If they're both gels however, I would use clindamycin in the morning and BP at night.

But something like Duac can be prescribed by doctors, doesn't have to be a derm? All my topicals for acne I got were from a regular doctor and he wasn't even my family doctor, just a walk-in that I frequented a lot (for other reasons).

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 03/12/2014 2:27 am

I use clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. I used to use clindoxyl (which is the same thing as Duac) but it seemed to dry me out so I switched to using clindamycin by itself and then applying BP on top. What kind of topical is your clindamycin? Is it a gel or a liquid? I use the clindamycin phosphate liquid so I just put that on first, wait about 5-10 minutes for it to dry and then put BP on top. Also, I've never heard of BP being washed off 20 minutes after it's put on...that doesn't seem very effective to me. If they're both gels however, I would use clindamycin in the morning and BP at night.

But something like Duac can be prescribed by doctors, doesn't have to be a derm? All my topicals for acne I got were from a regular doctor and he wasn't even my family doctor, just a walk-in that I frequented a lot (for other reasons).

I'm using clindagel, it's sort of a watery looking substance. Does the BP still get absorbed well even though it has to go through the clindamycin? The problem isn't that I'd have trouble going to a dermatologist. It's that I'd have trouble paying for a doctor's visit and the duac, and I also REALLY don't trust the medical system here, I'd rather avoid it altogether.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/12/2014 8:16 am

I'm using clindagel, it's sort of a watery looking substance. Does the BP still get absorbed well even though it has to go through the clindamycin? The problem isn't that I'd have trouble going to a dermatologist. It's that I'd have trouble paying for a doctor's visit and the duac, and I also REALLY don't trust the medical system here, I'd rather avoid it altogether.

The BP seems to get absorbed through the clindamycin, like I can feel it on my skin when I apply it on. As far as effectiveness goes I don't know if having an extra layer of clindamycin underneath would affect it but, for me it works fine. 😮