Notifications
Clear all

Purging Issues With Tea Tree Oil/jojoba Oil

MemberMember
(@thelittlebluejetty)

Posted : 03/09/2014 7:59 pm

Hey guys! I have been looking every where for some answers but I am insanely confused by the numerous different reviews.

Here's this situation:

I recently started on a new all-natural regimen for the last 2-2.5 weeks. I use 2 dropper-fulls of jojoba oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil. It seems like recently I have been breaking out more, especially along my forehead but also around my mouth and t-zone area. Before that I used BP which really only managed/regulated my mild acne but never gave me a clear face. Here's what my face looks like right now:

In case those dont work here are the links:
I do my regimen at night during my shower. I first put a hot towel over my face to open up the pores. Then I apply the tea tree oil/jojoba oil mixture to my face and massage it and keep it on for max 5-7 minutes. After that I reheat the towel and gently wipe away the oils and finish off by closing my pores with some cold water. I may or may not be completely getting rid of the oils but I'm positive I am. The morning after, the amount of oil produced is significantly down and I just rinse my face with cold water and I'm out the door.
Anyway I just have some questions that would be super helpful if they could be answered

1) Is what I am experiencing an allergic reaction or purging? (sometimes the new acne on my forehead itches but that happens occasionally anyway)

2) Does jojoba oil have purges? What if it's combined with tea tree oil? i read that sometimes people who combined tea tree oil and jojoba oil have had breakouts when they didn't with only jojoba oil

3) Can I use BP to treat the possible purges of jojoba oil?

4) Should I use cleanser before applying the oils (I have Cetaphil, the gentle one)

Please help! I have been searching for the past 2 weeks and my junior prom is coming up soon! I don't ever wear make up so I know that's not the issue. I have been taking vitamins, drinking plenty of water, and regularly exercising (I am on my school's track team). Also, I have started taking aguaje and maca which are said to have helped many people clear their acne!

PS I apologize if this topic is already up. But i really need those 4 questions answered because those are the most crucial for me! It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could answer all 4! Thanks so much for all your help!

post-381933-0-02148300-1394413175.jpg

post-381933-0-15843800-1394413176.jpg

post-381933-0-35135400-1394413177.jpg

post-381933-0-09733200-1394413179.jpg

post-381933-0-02148300-1394413175.jpg

post-381933-0-15843800-1394413176.jpg

post-381933-0-35135400-1394413177.jpg

post-381933-0-09733200-1394413179.jpg

MemberMember
(@ttomp13)

Posted : 03/10/2014 1:44 pm

Hey guys! I have been looking every where for some answers but I am insanely confused by the numerous different reviews.

Here's this situation:

I recently started on a new all-natural regimen for the last 2-2.5 weeks. I use 2 dropper-fulls of jojoba oil with 2 drops of tea tree oil. It seems like recently I have been breaking out more, especially along my forehead but also around my mouth and t-zone area. Before that I used BP which really only managed/regulated my mild acne but never gave me a clear face. Here's what my face looks like right now:

I'm actually experiencing really negative effects from tea tree oil as well! I don't find 100% tea tree is an effective treatment. I know you're using 50% here, but I think this concentration is still too high. Even still, I just don't know how effective tea tree oil is. Here is a link to my experiment.

I do my regimen at night during my shower. I first put a hot towel over my face to open up the pores. Then I apply the tea tree oil/jojoba oil mixture to my face and massage it and keep it on for max 5-7 minutes. After that I reheat the towel and gently wipe away the oils and finish off by closing my pores with some cold water. I may or may not be completely getting rid of the oils but I'm positive I am. The morning after, the amount of oil produced is significantly down and I just rinse my face with cold water and I'm out the door.
One thing I can help you with is this: I believe you're doing way too much here. Your face should really only touch water, and then be dried a MAXIMUM of 2 times a day. I used to make the mistake of overwashing; It's a really easy mistake to make. Also, touching your face too long.
My recommendation (if you're going to continue your regimen) is to
1. Cleanse your face. (10 - 15 seconds)
2. Pat your face dry.
3. Apply tea tree and jojoba (1 minute)
4. Let dry, and leave on.
Anyway I just have some questions that would be super helpful if they could be answered

1) Is what I am experiencing an allergic reaction or purging? (sometimes the new acne on my forehead itches but that happens occasionally anyway)

2) Does jojoba oil have purges? What if it's combined with tea tree oil? i read that sometimes people who combined tea tree oil and jojoba oil have had breakouts when they didn't with only jojoba oil

4) Should I use cleanser before applying the oils (I have Cetaphil, the gentle one)

1. No. I don't believe tea tree oil, at least in a high concentration is an effective acne treatment. Maybe 5% tea tree oil works, like some studies suggest. But higher concentrations will just cause you to breakout!

2. Jojoba never has caused me to breakout. I use 1 drop added to my moisturizer, and I have seen amazing results! :)

3. If you're going to use BP, I would stop using tea tree oil! Stick to a simple regimen, such as Dans Regimen, and you will see great results. The more simple you are, the better your results will be.

4. YES, use a cleanser. :) lol

In closing, I would start doing something that will guarantee your results. Dan's Regimen, when followed the RIGHT way is a proven regimen. There is no reason that you cannot get close to 100% clear in the next 30 days by following Dan's Regimen, along with making some other minor adjustments in your diet.

MemberMember
(@thelittlebluejetty)

Posted : 03/10/2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for your help so far!

I might end up going back to the BP because I am positive that I am allergic to jojoba oil. The little red bumps/comedomes are very itchy at random times and I don't think that would be best to continue. Are there any other alternatives I could use to jojoba oil? I would like one that has the same properties and benefits like soft skin, fixing discoloratin, etc. I'll make sure to do a patch test this time!

Unless anyone believes based on the pictures, that I am only in a process of purging but i miscalculated and it's actually been nabout 3 weeks now. I am just really disappointed because I heard such great reviews about jojoba oil and quite surprised too because it's supposed to be the oil that most closely resembles human sebum... strange. Anyway, any new oil suggestions? Or do you think this is just a part of purging?

The main thing Im worried about is the oil production. Last time I used BP I would just slather it in heaps and my face got really oily. Should I just use BP as a spot treatment at night and in the morning, rinse it off and go? Please let me know! Thanks!

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/10/2014 10:16 pm

I have never used jojoba oil so I can't comment on that but I have use borage oil (GLA) and it really helped with my dry skin and did not make me break out. You can get it at any health food store and some grocery stores. It may be good for you but like all skin care products it is a bit of trial and error! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 03/11/2014 9:32 am

I highly recommend using Tamanu oil instead of tea tree. Tea tree never did anything for me. I can't say whether it broke me out. Try using very very little jojoba oil. It has been known to clog up people.

MemberMember
(@ttomp13)

Posted : 03/11/2014 11:28 am

I might end up going back to the BP because I am positive that I am allergic to jojoba oil. The little red bumps/comedomes are very itchy at random times and I don't think that would be best to continue. Are there any other alternatives I could use to jojoba oil? I would like one that has the same properties and benefits like soft skin, fixing discoloratin, etc. I'll make sure to do a patch test this time!

I would definitely go back to BP, and you may or may not be allergic to jojoba oil. What I would do is completely RESTART your thinking with acne products. Go back to using nothing for a week, and rethink your strategy.

You need to develop a solid game plan that works, and you need to stick with it.

My recommendation is to start using Dan's Regimen as it is written, and stick to it until it works for you! I promise you, when used correctly, Dan's Regimen will work. Once you start seeing results with Dan's Regimen, you can consider using jojoba oil once again.

Regarding using Dan's Regimen as a spot treatment, I wouldn't recommend it. Your goal here is to treat your acne before it forms. Dan's program can do this, but you really have to stick with it! I have a guide on how to use Dan's regimen, and you are more than welcome to check it out.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is trying product after product, not knowing whether or not what you're doing will work. Dan's Regimen does work. I want you to know that! I want you to visualize yourself with clear skin. Seriously. Stop what you're doing, close your eyes, and see yourself with clear skin! You CAN do this! You have clear, beautiful skin. Let's just focus on 1 way. A way that is proven. Dan's Regimen works!

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 03/11/2014 4:27 pm

Applying Jojoba oil is very risky for people who suffer acne. There may be people who "get away with it", however such people are very few and it does nothing for acne or moisturization in the first instance.

There is a temptation for acne-prone patients to want to apply all kinds of topicals because it seems the logical thing to do. In the vast majority of cases, topicals do not treat acne and most people would actually fair better by not applying anything at all. It's normally the stuff people apply to their skin that is the cause, or at least antagonist of acne. People can't get over the psychological barrier however and reach for more of the same of the things that don't work.

I also strongly believe some acne sufferers have been conditioned to believe they need medication to treat their condition. After all, there is lots of money involved and acne products are very easy to make a quick buck from.

For most people, acne will not be managed well through topical creams, gels and lotions. There is more chance the acne will actually be made worse through these treatments. All too often do I see patients attempt to treat acne with Benzoyl Peroxide, tee tree oil and other weird and odd lotion and potion concoctions, usually to no effect. If one suffers from stress for example, this often causes acne in most people. No topical will deal with this. If the acne trigger is not suppressed, then neither will the acne.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/11/2014 8:21 pm

Applying Jojoba oil is very risky for people who suffer acne. There may be people who "get away with it", however such people are very few and it does nothing for acne or moisturization in the first instance.

There is a temptation for acne-prone patients to want to apply all kinds of topicals because it seems the logical thing to do. In the vast majority of cases, topicals do not treat acne and most people would actually fair better by not applying anything at all. It's normally the stuff people apply to their skin that is the cause, or at least antagonist of acne. People can't get over the psychological barrier however and reach for more of the same of the things that don't work.

I also strongly believe some acne sufferers have been conditioned to believe they need medication to treat their condition. After all, there is lots of money involved and acne products are very easy to make a quick buck from.

For most people, acne will not be managed well through topical creams, gels and lotions. There is more chance the acne will actually be made worse through these treatments. All too often do I see patients attempt to treat acne with Benzoyl Peroxide, tee tree oil and other weird and odd lotion and potion concoctions, usually to no effect. If one suffers from stress for example, this often causes acne in most people. No topical will deal with this. If the acne trigger is not suppressed, then neither will the acne.

You keep saying this, but you have yet to provide a credible, legitimate source to back up any of your claims.

You're not helping anyone by doing this.

MemberMember
(@thelittlebluejetty)

Posted : 03/12/2014 8:37 pm

Hey all

I've taken off the tea tree oil because I read that a lot of people, particularly asians, have allergic reactions to it.

I feel like I will probably go back to the BP treatment and during summer, if I want to, try again with different oils. I'll be sure to test patch the mixture on the side of my neck!

For future reference, what do you think of the following mixture?

15% castor

15% jojoba

35% hemp seed

25% grape seed

10% hazelnut

I know castor, jojoba, and hazelnut, while they are non-comedemic, are not rated 0 like hemp seed oil and grape seed oil is but I felt like it would be an okay idea to include them. I read this article that may explain my reasoning for the proportions:

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@ttomp13)

Posted : 03/13/2014 12:11 pm

I've always wanted to use real, 100% hemp oil on my face to see how it reacts. Of course, this is the infamous Rick Simpson oil that everyone is talking about! I know that most people use this for more severe conditions like Cancer, but I'm curious as to how it would actually work on the skin, and how acne would react.

On 3/13/2014 at 7:37 AM, TheLittleBlueJetty said:

Hey all

I've taken off the tea tree oil because I read that a lot of people, particularly asians, have allergic reactions to it.

I feel like I will probably go back to the BP treatment and during summer, if I want to, try again with different oils. I'll be sure to test patch the mixture on the side of my neck!

For future reference, what do you think of the following mixture?

15% castor

15% jojoba

35% hemp seed

25% grape seed

10% hazelnut

I know castor, jojoba, and hazelnut, while they are non-comedemic, are not rated 0 like hemp seed oil and grape seed oil is but I felt like it would be an okay idea to include them. I read this article that may explain my reasoning for the proportions:

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@thelittlebluejetty)

Posted : 03/16/2014 7:30 pm

Hey guys so if anyone is still out there, do you think (based on the pictures) that my acne is actually fungal folliculitis? I do have pretty oily skin and still it does itch. THe weather down in california is pretty hot and humid as of right now too. If so, I heard nizoral shampoo is really good to treat it - I'm just worried about it drying me out. How can I prevent it? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ttomp13)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:08 pm

I think your acne is definitely just acne. I really think you need to find a program that you can really stick to, and Dan's is a great place to start! Really give it a shot, because I promise you, once you begin using it correctly and consistently, you will get clear skin!

Something you can start doing right now: Start drinking about a gallon of water a day on a consistent basis, and you will automatically begin seeing results. Again, though, to get 100% clear, you're really going to want to give Dan's Regimen a shot.

You seem hesitant though to jump on full board.

What is keeping you away from following Dan's Regimen with full force?

Hey guys so if anyone is still out there, do you think (based on the pictures) that my acne is actually fungal folliculitis? I do have pretty oily skin and still it does itch. THe weather down in california is pretty hot and humid as of right now too. If so, I heard nizoral shampoo is really good to treat it - I'm just worried about it drying me out. How can I prevent it? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 03/17/2014 11:03 pm

I would definitely go back to BP, and you may or may not be allergic to jojoba oil. What I would do is completely RESTART your thinking with acne products. Go back to using nothing for a week, and rethink your strategy.

You need to develop a solid game plan that works, and you need to stick with it.

My recommendation is to start using Dan's Regimen as it is written, and stick to it until it works for you! I promise you, when used correctly, Dan's Regimen will work. Once you start seeing results with Dan's Regimen, you can consider using jojoba oil once again.

Regarding using Dan's Regimen as a spot treatment, I wouldn't recommend it. Your goal here is to treat your acne before it forms. Dan's program can do this, but you really have to stick with it! I have a guide on how to use Dan's regimen, and you are more than welcome to check it out.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is trying product after product, not knowing whether or not what you're doing will work. Dan's Regimen does work. I want you to know that! I want you to visualize yourself with clear skin. Seriously. Stop what you're doing, close your eyes, and see yourself with clear skin! You CAN do this! You have clear, beautiful skin. Let's just focus on 1 way. A way that is proven. Dan's Regimen works!

Hi, I've been checking out your youtube channels and your website, and you look like you have some pretty good advice. The one I'm taking right now is only washing your face twice a day, which means you have to wash your face in the shower instead of after. I noticed that your skin looks so good, even though you are using BP. What can I do about the side effects of BP? I have extreme dryness and flaking whenever I try to work up to the full dosage, and I've been using the regimen for 8 weeks now. What keeps you from flaking and getting irritated skin while using BP?

MemberMember
(@ttomp13)

Posted : 03/18/2014 10:34 am

Hi, I've been checking out your youtube channels and your website, and you look like you have some pretty good advice. The one I'm taking right now is only washing your face twice a day, which means you have to wash your face in the shower instead of after. I noticed that your skin looks so good, even though you are using BP. What can I do about the side effects of BP? I have extreme dryness and flaking whenever I try to work up to the full dosage, and I've been using the regimen for 8 weeks now. What keeps you from flaking and getting irritated skin while using BP?

Hey! I am glad you're willing to take the steps necessary to ensure your success!

You're right on! You should only wash your face 2 times a day, that is, your face should only touch water 2 times in 1 day. So you will definitely want to wash your face in the shower! :)

Side Effects:

To eliminate all BP side effects, you really have to find out the amount that works for your skin.

I take my pointer finger, and I use a thin line of benzoyl peroxide from the tip of the finger, down to about 3/4th's down the finger. I'll have to make a video.

Aside from using the right amount of benzoyl peroxide, you're definitely going to want to use a good moisturizer, such as Dan Kern's, and use a drop or two of jojoba oil within that moisturizer.

I'll post more in a bit :P

BRB in class.

This is how I also avoid BP side effects.

#1 Mistake: Wrong Percent of Benzoyl Peroxide.

There are usually 3 common percentages of benzoyl peroxide concentration you will see in products: 2.5%, 5%, and 10%. Many people make the mistake of going straight to 10%, assuming that the more concentrated the peroxide, the better.

Unfortunately, using anything but 2.5% benzoyl peroxide will either not work (too low of concentration) or cause skin irritation and side effects (too high of concentration).

Simple Solution: Use 2.5% B.P. % is effective for all cases (even severe) cases of acne. That™s why I recommend Acne.org in the Foundation of my program.

#2 Mistake: Not Moisturizing.

When you are using benzoyl peroxide, IF you do not properly moisturize, it™s a guarantee that your skin is going to develop negative side effects. I made this mistake with Proactiv, because I was under the impression that the Repairing Lotion was the moisturizer. Anything containing benzoyl peroxide is not a moisturizer. B.P., in all cases, is a drying agent.

Simple Solution: The easiest way to prevent benzoyl peroxide side effects. There are a couple of moisturizers that do the job. Everything I recommend works great, but feel free to go with the acne.org moisturizer, as it™s what I recommend in the Foundation.

#3 Mistake: Not Following the Foundation.

This is where the biggest problems come in. I™m more than happy to help everyone, but 99% of the time people don™t see results with my program, it™s because they™re not following the Foundation of my system properly.

Simple Solution: Be sure you™re following everything as it is written in the Foundation. If you™re 100% consistent, and still having trouble, please post on my facebook wall.

Basically, the whole idea here is to

1. Choose the right product. (Dan's)

2. Moisturize.

3. Follow the program properly.

This means that in order to avoid all BP side effects, you have to be certain you're

* Only washing your face twice a day.

* Using the right amount of bp. (about 3/4th's of a pointer finger, thin line)

* Moisturizing with Dan's Moisturizer or Simple Moisturizer with a drop or 2 of Jojoba Oil

* Following everything else properly

Not scrubbing your face

Being as gentle as possible

Staying hydrated - avoided caffeine, alcohol, energy drinks, etc,

Staying consistent

*** Figuring out the amount of BP / routine that works best for you.

Not only will following the above points help you avoid BP side effects, but it will also allow you to get clear skin.

MemberMember
(@rakiebakie)

Posted : 03/19/2014 11:45 am

Here's this situation:

Please help! I have been searching for the past 2 weeks and my junior prom is coming up soon! I don't ever wear make up so I know that's not the issue. I have been taking vitamins, drinking plenty of water, and regularly exercising (I am on my school's track team). Also, I have started taking aguaje and maca which are said to have helped many people clear their acne!

PS I apologize if this topic is already up. But i really need those 4 questions answered because those are the most crucial for me! It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could answer all 4! Thanks so much for all your help!

Please stop using jojoba oil on your face. I used it for 3 months, and had similar breakouts to yours on my jaw and chin but more aggressive and inflamed. It was more cystistic. Your pores look clogged like mine. I stopped using OCM at the new yr and I'm only just clear! Make a doctors appointment as soon as you can. A combination of oral antibiotics and Duac (benzyclin) worked well for me. We're looking at how to deal with scars at the moment. There's a topic called "oil cleansing method ruined my skin" which helped me realise that this was more than just purging. Oil shouldn't be used on the face for people with oily acne prone skin.

MemberMember
(@thelittlebluejetty)

Posted : 03/30/2014 9:50 pm

rakiebakie, thank you so much for the warning. I had planned to use different oils on my face, but it looks like these clogged pores are super stubborn because it's been about a month or so now and they're still here