Notifications
Clear all

What Do Guys Think Of Girls With Acne?

MemberMember
(@lynn8808)

Posted : 03/07/2014 1:46 pm

Hello!

I saw a thread on here about what girls think of guys with acne, but I am curious (being a acne sufferer myself) what a guy thinks of a GIRL with acne?

In my opinion, a guy with acne looks fine. They look normal and socially acceptable really, because they're not held to a high standard of beauty like girls are. We're kind of expected to have baby smooth, flawless skin. And when we don't, people don't look at us the same. I'm not being sexist or anything, I just think it's easier for guys with acne than girls.

So, be brutally honest guys, does having acne really matter all that much when dating someone?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/07/2014 2:22 pm

i dont think it matters when its like a couple because i understand its normal

MemberMember
(@mm1990)

Posted : 03/07/2014 2:32 pm

This is coming from a lady's perspective, but I've been happy to find that guys aren't nearly as shallow as I always unfairly assumed. I have received a lot of positive male attention regardless of the condition of my skin. I do not fit the typical female standard of beauty at all (problematic skin, very small chest, short hair), but men tell me I'm beautiful all the time. It is incredibly refreshing. As women, we are taught that we have to fit a very defined mold to be desired, but it is simply not true. Guys appreciate intelligence, humor and kindness just as much as girls do and generally do not expect physical perfection. My ex would always tell me that I'm gorgeous and that a breakout could not possibly affect how he views me. Of course there are awful, shallow men (and women) out there, but they are just the very vocal exception.

And if that's you in that picture, wow. You are truly lovely.

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 03/07/2014 2:42 pm

I've been wondering this myself. I think guys with acne are more likely to be receptive of a girl with acne- after all, they understand what it's like. But I have seen some guys (the ones who have never had a bump in their life) say some pretty rude things about girls with acne. I believe it depends on their level of empathy.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:53 pm

I think guys care more about mood swings than acne. BTW, some men I know concur with this. ;)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 03/07/2014 7:22 pm

Doesnt bother me a bit. But Im biased because I have it too:p Overall I think we are are own worst enemies when it comes to acne.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 03/07/2014 8:23 pm

I would rather not date a girl with acne. Yeah, it's harsh, and definitely hypocritical (though, hopefully not for long). Two reasons: I would want to dilute my predispositional acne genes in offspring, and it looks bad/can have negative effects on psychological health.

That being said, I think that people who suffer from acne have more tender hearts, and are generally more reasonable, understanding, and forgiving people - especially those with severe acne - because they (we?) know what it's like to be somewhat of a social pariah. Also, it seems likely that people with acne, on average, take care of themselves better. They eat healthier, they exercise more, drink and smoke less, etc because of their condition. So there are definitely some positives there.

I think it's true that guys have an easier time sporting acne on their faces. Evolutionarily speaking, males tend to seek females with more neotenous traits (earlier pair bonding = assured reproduction). Females, on the other hand, tend to seek males with more mature traits (stronger mate = better chance of offspring and self to survive). Acne is a grotesque trait - neither mature nor neotenous. But since mature traits are correlated with age, and age is correlated with grotesquity, males can get away with having acne more often than females can. It isn't really fair; but then acne isn't exactly a boon for guys either.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/07/2014 9:19 pm

I would rather not date a girl with acne. Yeah, it's harsh, and definitely hypocritical (though, hopefully not for long). Two reasons: I would want to dilute my predispositional acne genes in offspring, and it looks bad/can have negative effects on psychological health.

That being said, I think that people who suffer from acne have more tender hearts, and are generally more reasonable, understanding, and forgiving people - especially those with severe acne - because they (we?) know what it's like to be somewhat of a social pariah. Also, it seems likely that people with acne, on average, take care of themselves better. They eat healthier, they exercise more, drink and smoke less, etc because of their condition. So there are definitely some positives there.

I think it's true that guys have an easier time sporting acne on their faces. Evolutionarily speaking, males tend to seek females with more neotenous traits (earlier pair bonding = assured reproduction). Females, on the other hand, tend to seek males with more mature traits (stronger mate = better chance of offspring and self to survive). Acne is a grotesque trait - neither mature nor neotenous. But since mature traits are correlated with age, and age is correlated with grotesquity, males can get away with having acne more often than females can. It isn't really fair; but then acne isn't exactly a boon for guys either.

oh I agree, acne is definitely a deterrent. I may sound hypocritical but I find acne sufferers really repulsive so I tend to avoid them or squint when I have to talk to them face to face to face. Definitely not dating material lol.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/08/2014 5:53 am

I am not bothered by acne, but, like the others here, I have acne myself and I can't speak for other people. I think that people, who are bothered by it, are shallow people.

MemberMember
(@beautifulperseverance619)

Posted : 03/08/2014 1:24 pm

I'm personally not bothered, by the fact, that a woman has acne. that includes in a friendship or for a romantic interest. I've had acne for 11-12 years now, and I know how it can drain whatever confidence you have or view of yourself down the toilet! I've seen some pretty beautiful and gorgeous looking women, with acne, on this site. It is amazing that they feel so low about themselves, looking the way they do. It just goes to show how horrible acne really is!

The character, facial and other physical features ,of a woman, will outweigh the fact she has acne. At least, this is true in my perspective. I know there are guys ( and girls) who are bothered by the fact that a woman has acne. For how bad my acne was at one time.. I don't blame people for being at least a little uncomfortable by it. It's not everyday that you see someone with acne. We live in a culture that worships the physical appearance and reads magazines of airbrushed potraits of models and models with flawless looking skin. So, It's understandable why some people have the attitude about acne that they do. I'm not saying that it's right... It's just understandable.

For me, I wouldn't be bothered at all in dating relationship or having a romantic interest with acne. I think acne helps humble people, and helps develop empathy. Those two characteristics I find very attractive in a woman. I would even think that, with a woman having acne or if she had acne, she would be alittle more open about who she dates.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/08/2014 5:13 pm

Hello!

I saw a thread on here about what girls think of guys with acne, but I am curious (being a acne sufferer myself) what a guy thinks of a GIRL with acne?

In my opinion, a guy with acne looks fine. They look normal and socially acceptable really, because they're not held to a high standard of beauty like girls are. We're kind of expected to have baby smooth, flawless skin. And when we don't, people don't look at us the same. I'm not being sexist or anything, I just think it's easier for guys with acne than girls.

So, be brutally honest guys, does having acne really matter all that much when dating someone?

You are a very beautiful person. You should not forget that.

MemberMember
(@lynn8808)

Posted : 03/09/2014 10:07 am

I appreciate all the lovely responses from everyone. It's really refreshing to know that there are many people (male and female) who aren't bothered by acne when it comes to dating. While acne does demolish a person's confidence, it does also make them more humble and sympathetic towards the world. I never saw it like that. Good to know there's still a lot of good in the world.

MemberMember
(@frustrated3220)

Posted : 03/12/2014 11:36 pm

Silly question but I understand the need to know. The honest answer is no, generally speaking. I have never seen a girl with bad enough acne that I was woahhhh i dont want to gtsm lol.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/13/2014 12:29 am

Girls look quite helpless and stressed out when I see them with acne.

MemberMember
(@getswaybetter)

Posted : 03/14/2014 12:22 am

The experience of having acne definitely makes you more humble. Seeing someone with it reminds you of what you've gone through yourself. There is definitely a lot of empathy in play - you see past the physical blemishes because you too was once in their shoes.

MemberMember
(@patrick92)

Posted : 03/15/2014 12:07 am

For me personally, it doesn't matter at all if a girl has acne. In fact I've seen many, many girls with acne who still look stunning! Maybe girls just over think how critical guys are about their looks, because neither me or any other guy I know walks around judging girls because they aren't dressed a certain way or don't have flawless skin. Us guys are no where near perfect so we certainly don't expect or look for perfection!

MemberMember
(@roddd)

Posted : 03/16/2014 1:48 pm

The experience of having acne definitely makes you more humble. Seeing someone with it reminds you of what you've gone through yourself. There is definitely a lot of

empathy in play - you see past the physical blemishes because you too was once in their shoes.

Exactly how I feel

MemberMember
(@crayonsnglu)

Posted : 04/01/2014 2:08 pm

I am confused about this as well because there have been many times where I was feeling really blah because of a breakout and a random stranger would tell me I was beautiful. My fiance always laughs when I point an a pimple I'm stressing about and always says things like, "everyone breakouts out once in a while" or "nobody cares if you have a pimple." I also remember meeting some of his family for the first time and freaking out about two inflamed pimples on my lower jaw and afterwards he said his family told him that I was pretty....so I do think that most people do not judge a person's entire attractiveness by skin flaws because most likely everyone has had blemishes at some point. I have seen lots of girls who I think are incredibly beautiful with acne and I have seen lots of hot guys with acne soo.....idk aha

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 04/01/2014 6:06 pm

I am confused about this as well because there have been many times where I was feeling really blah because of a breakout and a random stranger would tell me I was beautiful. My fiance always laughs when I point an a pimple I'm stressing about and always says things like, "everyone breakouts out once in a while" or "nobody cares if you have a pimple." I also remember meeting some of his family for the first time and freaking out about two inflamed pimples on my lower jaw and afterwards he said his family told him that I was pretty....so I do think that most people do not judge a person's entire attractiveness by skin flaws because most likely everyone has had blemishes at some point. I have seen lots of girls who I think are incredibly beautiful with acne and I have seen lots of hot guys with acne soo.....idk aha

I think it depends on the severity of the acne. I'm guessing you're is quite mild, right?

MemberMember
(@crayonsnglu)

Posted : 04/02/2014 2:34 pm

Well mostly mild but sometimes moderate if I have a bad pms month but enough to make me self concious