Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holls77

Fraxel Laser scheduled

FloridaGuy, tks for all the info.. I also had Restylane injected.. Not a huge fan.

Did you notice a reduction is oil produced by your skin after a series of Fraxel

treatments?? Curious if this is another possible benefit..

Tks...

Had fraxel laser two days ago, cost $1000 for entire face. Power setting was 8 and hurt, even though numbing cream was used. Had it done in Houston at DermSurgery Associates.

Read interesting article: go to www.medicalnewstoday.com/

Scroll down to Nov. 29,2004 to article titled Nonablative Laser Treatment Smooths Out Acne Scars

I am concerned, like Oldguy, that this might be found later to cause fat loss. I jumped on the bandwagon with Smoothbeam -- and it actually helped my scars - but it seems now people are experiencing fat loss with Smoothbeam. Same thing with Thermage. The fat loss is showing up in the form of ugly dented areas - kinda like acne scars! No one told us about any permanent damage with these lasers, just how great they were. We had to find out through other peoples' unfortunate experiences.

Thanks to all who are reporting their experiences. I sincerely hope it works for you all.

I don't actually think that Smoothbeam could possibly cause fat loss. The fatty subcutaneous layer is well underneath the dermis, and I doubt any heat from the laser could reach it. The few people that reported that here may have had new indentations due to vaporized oil glands, which are located in the dermis.

Not to scold anyone, (Then why did you!) but they should not report such things to internet forums yet avoid the really important sites like the FDA.

paste in smoothbeam results for 2003-2004 http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh...AUDE/search.CFM

6 people reported problems out of many thousands. Thermage, is a different story altogether. ninja.gifninja.gif That was cleared by the FDA to tighten necks, I believe. It does that by zapping the fat, like when older folks get liposuction in their neck. That is just a theory I came up with, like the Smoothbeam/fat actually being oil glands... theory, but I bet they turn out to be true facts.

I wouldn't freak out too soon. Judge by your own experinecs with smoothbeam. Remember that people who have had negative results may not have gone to the most skilled doctors, may not have been healthy/able to heal as well/or had a more aggressive treatment.

HOWEVER, I would NOT jump on the thermage bandwagon. It simply hasn't been around long enough at all. Remember when every one was getting laser resurfacing and either not getting much improvemnt or ending up with worse looking skin than they started?

I have read many reports from derms who feel chemical peels are superior and much safer than lasers because of their track record, both in results and how long they've been in use (hundreds of years). Also, I know it's a bit off topic but inflammation of the skin is damaging and ablative lasers cause long term redness and inflammation which is NOT conducive to healing/collagen formation which is why a series of chem peels of light/medium depth is preferrd by many top derms and that consensus has grown.

Go the milder route first, you may be surprised how consistent moderate treatments can really make a big diff in your skin.

I wouldn't freak out too soon. Judge by your own experinecs with smoothbeam. Remember that people who have had negative results may not have gone to the most skilled doctors, may not have been healthy/able to heal as well/or had a more aggressive treatment.

HOWEVER, I would NOT jump on the thermage bandwagon.  It simply hasn't been around long enough at all. Remember when every one was getting laser resurfacing and either not getting much improvemnt or ending up with worse looking skin than they started?

I have read many reports from derms who feel chemical peels are superior and much safer than lasers because of their track record,  both in results and how long they've been in use (hundreds of years). Also, I know it's a bit off topic but inflammation of the skin is damaging and ablative lasers cause long term redness and inflammation which is NOT conducive to healing/collagen formation which is why a series of chem peels of light/medium depth is preferrd by many top derms and that consensus has grown.

Go the milder route first, you may be surprised how consistent moderate treatments can really make a big diff in your skin.

Todays fillers approved in the US

all produce short lived results in acne scars (Maybe 2 months with Restalyn)

FloridaGuy, not sure if I've asked or not.. I've also had Restlyane injected as well.

Does the Fraxel melt or dissipate previous injectables?

Tks, CH

I have had peels done about 10 years ago (a serious of 8) it did little to improve the depth of the scaring.  I also had Microdermabrasion and that too did little to improve the Depth of the acne scars. 

FloridaGuy, not sure if I've asked or not.. I've also had Restlyane injected as well.

Does the Fraxel melt or dissipate previous injectables?

Tks, CH

How many passes do the people get fraxel done ususally have per treatment? Also, what is the different between the high density/low density settings and power settings floridaguy?

Thanks

How many passes do the people get fraxel done ususally have per treatment?  Also, what is the different between the high density/low density settings and power settings floridaguy?

Thanks

Guest Scorpioness

^Thank you, Florida Guy for keeping us posted. I am really interested to hear how the long term outcome works out for you.

Now I look like I have a bad sunburn but most of the swelling is gone. Its 4 days since Fraxel 3 and I have Fraxel 4 in Three days.

3 days had expired ;-)

Can you pls give us an update?

From the other hand - has anyone from this board who lives in NYC area tried this procedure?

Can you pls eventually recommend any doctors who perform that procedure and give me a pricing breakdown?

Regards,

Artur

I was going to wait atleast a full week after number 4 to give an update.

Number 4 fraxel went fine we again did a full face at level 9 and re visited my bad areas at level 12 (at a lower laser density). I did swell up a bit more this time.

Its 5 days since the fraxel and I am almost back to normal with some residuel redness and pealing. So far things seem to be going very well but I want to wait atleast a few more days to see if any of these new improvements are simply part of the swelling. I promise to keep you all posed. You can visit the Fraxel web site and locate a doctor near you. www.fraxel.com Good luck

Now I look like I have a bad sunburn but most of the swelling is gone.  Its 4 days since Fraxel 3 and I have Fraxel 4 in Three days.

3 days had expired ;-)

Can you pls give us an update?

From the other hand - has anyone from this board who lives in NYC area tried this procedure?

Can you pls eventually recommend any doctors who perform that procedure and give me a pricing breakdown?

Regards,

Artur

Floridaguy, I had my first session a week ago at level 11 around the mouth

area only.. It is pretty painfull and you are correct, it's about a week until

the redness goes away.

Can you also have this laser done on the nose as well?

Mine is very oily and I'm wondering if this would help decrease the pore

size.. Let me know..

Tks, CH

Floridaguy, I had my first session a week ago at level 11 around the mouth

area only.. It is pretty painfull and you are correct, it's about a week until

the redness goes away. 

Can you also have this laser done on the nose as well?

Mine is very oily and I'm wondering if this would help decrease the pore

size.. Let me know..

Tks, CH

Wow level 11 and around the mouth I bet that did hurt.  Yes I do have my NOSE done as well and it has improved the pour size and skin tone there.  I think a full face is the best route to go so you have an even tone all over and not just an improvement in an isolated area.  Its now one week since Fraxel four and I am still pealing quite a bit the rednesss is now more subdued and is more pink (looks like I have gotten some sun but not quite a sun burn)  Over all improvements are quite good and It will take 2-3 months before I can judge if this is worth the Time money and discomfort.  Hope you do well

Greetings all, just wondering if anyone has tired the Fraxel laser yet?.. I'm having my first treatment next month with Dr. Kovak in Elmhurst, IL.  He said this laser has been getting better results than the CO2 but I have my doubts.  It's for a series of scars on my cheeks, I've had the Pulse Dye before with absolutely no results.  My scars are hyperpigmented & slightly indented (over a large area).  Just making sure this is worth my money & if anyone else has had any experience with the Fraxel laser.

I, too, am going to Dr. Kovak (Elmhurst, IL)  for my first Fraxel laser treatment this upcoming Wednesday.  If Holls77 is still around, or anyone else who is using him, I would be very grateful for your feedback on your results and his personal performance.  Thanks!

I am excited about Fraxel, and Dr. Kovak seems like one of the cheapest doctors around, which is great for me. But you guys, sound like plants from dr. Kovak. Reason being that you have 1 or 2 posts total, and 90% improvement sounds a little over the top. Anyway, please don't try to fool any of us looking for real info. and help. But if you are legit, please try and post before and after pictures.

I just completed my 4th session the day before yesterday.  The results to date have been unbelievable, as have Dr Kovak and his staff.  I had shallow scarring on my cheeks from a chemical burn (glycolic 65%).  The scars have improved roughly 90% and I anticipate they will be gone by time I go for my 5th and final session.  My overall complexion is not to be believed as many coworkers have stated over the past couple of weeks.  Keep in mind, these people have no idea that I am going through this.  Bottom line, my face has never looked so flawless and I honestly look younger/well rested.  The benefits I am reaping are from enduring treatment to the full face and eyes.  While I didn't think the procedure was painful, I can honestly say I will never complain about going to the dentist again.  Dr. Kovak treats the full face with a series of novicaine shots (in the mouth, on the surface, etc.) in order to numb the pain.  This enables him to turn the laser up to a higher level than a person could typically handle.  Don't let that scare you off.  you are in good hands with Dr. Kovak and his staff.  Let me know if you have any other qustions.  Good luck!

I am excited about Fraxel, and Dr. Kovak seems like one of the cheapest doctors around, which is great for me.  But you guys, sound like plants from dr. Kovak.  Reason being that you have 1 or 2 posts total, and 90% improvement sounds a little over the top.  Anyway, please don't try to fool any of us looking for real info. and help.  But if you are legit, please try and post before and after pictures.

I'm so glad I found this forum!

I had my first Fraxel with Dr. Friedman's office in Houston on Friday afternoon. I do not have acne scarring, but I do have loads of sun damages, very large pores and blotchiness. I would love to correspond with Mrs. T, who I read also used this doctor's office for Fraxel.

I was somewhat disappointed because Dr. Gia(sp?) did not seem to go very close to the eyes, where I was hoping to improve some crows feets, etc. Can I ask how close your doctors have gone to your eyes?

Thanks,

dlynne