Notifications
Clear all

Cefdinir (Omnicef) For Acne?

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:10 pm

I tried to do a search on it, but I couldn't find anything relatively recent. I was just wondering if anyone has taken Cefdinir (Omnicef) 300 mg for acne? I've been taking it for two weeks along with spiro and Tazorac 0.05% gel and I haven't seen much improvement.

This doesn't really seem like a common antibiotic prescribed for acne. Should I request something else?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:40 pm

I tried to do a search on it, but I couldn't find anything relatively recent. I was just wondering if anyone has taken Cefdinir (Omnicef) 300 mg for acne? I've been taking it for two weeks along with spiro and Tazorac 0.05% gel and I haven't seen much improvement.

This doesn't really seem like a common antibiotic prescribed for acne. Should I request something else?

It's not commonly prescribed. Usually, minocycline or doxycline are prescribed first.

Have you tried other oral antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 03/07/2014 6:44 pm

It's not commonly prescribed. Usually, minocycline or doxycline are prescribed first.

Nope, this is the first one my derm prescribed. I haven't taken antibiotics in ages. Most people I know that have taken antibiotics for acne have always taken those two, or tetracycline. I just thought it was a little odd that this was her first choice? I love to Google, and I can't really find any data on it treating acne.. it's slightly frustrating.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 6:49 pm

Nope, this is the first one my derm prescribed. I haven't taken antibiotics in ages. Most people I know that have taken antibiotics for acne have always taken those two, or tetracycline. I just thought it was a little odd that this was her first choice? I love to Google, and I can't really find any data on it treating acne.. it's slightly frustrating.

I'd guess that antibiotic is specifically covered with your insurance, whereas the others aren't. Or, maybe she's concerned of antibiotic resistance.