Notifications
Clear all

A Wiki Article Confirming Some Of My/our Hunches

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/07/2014 6:48 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedo

It's a general comedo article but it makes some clear distictions, which i always tried to make here on this forum.

let me highlight the interesting bits:

1."A comedo can be open (blackhead) or closed by skin (whitehead), and occur with or without acne"

2."Excess keratin combined with sebum can plug the opening of the follicle.This small plug is called a microcomedo. Androgens increase sebum (oil) production. If sebum continues to build up behind plug, it can enlarge and form a visible comedo."

3."Propionibacterium acne is the infectious agent in acne. It can proliferate in sebum and cause inflamed pustules (pimples) characteristic of acne."

4."A hair that does not emerge normally can also block the pore and cause a bulge or lead to infection (causing inflammation and pus)."

my comments and questions:

many holistic approaches i made for treating acne (diet, herbs) got me relatively satisfying results BUT ONLY for inflammed comedones (acne) amd NOTHING for my whiteheads. i also notice that bp works even greater but if i don't apply twice/day, i immediately get small whiteheads. this article explains that the microcomedones were always there - all these approaches just prevents them from evolving into a more larger visible comedo (by killing propinibacterium-acne bacteria). i'm wondering if i should better search for adapalene or if you know something particularely great for whiteheads (they are my main problem).the sulful soap i don't find particularely effective. and i've not explored salicylic acid too much.

i also feel revenged by this article reference to hair not emerged causing infection, which is what was my long time hunch -> that acne on my face is caused by lack of mature beard/facial hair. but this seems to be partly the problem.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/07/2014 10:00 am

Hi there! Comedones basically suck. Micro, Macro, whatever you want to call them ;) I have been doing a TON of research as this is my main issue right now. I'm on hormonal treatment for my acne, but the treatment caused the clogged pores to be pushed up/appear. Now it's been weeks of dealing with them. The conclusion that I have realized is that exfoliation is KEY. However you decide to go about that, but clearly the more gentle approach the better. Some things that I've added to my arsenal for this main purpose of exfoliating and clearing these stubborn arse clogs are AHA and BHA. Both are kind of essential components, but depends on your skin sensitivity.

Many people go the Retin A route, despite my Dr offering it to me, I declined. I did not want the crazy purge. So I use the following in my fight:

I rotate in Murad Exfoliating wash has AHA/BHA with Jojoba beads into my Cerave Foaming Face wash routine. I just keep an eye on my skin to see if it's too dry or doing ok.

DDF Glycolic toner after washing- helps remove that extra layer of dead skin, put some on a cotton ball and gentle circle motions all over. Is hydrating and toning at the same time.

Paula's Choice 2% Gel (BHA)- I use this morning and night, rub small amount in. Wait about 20 minutes before spot treating with BP 10% or all over 2.5%

Paula's Choice Resist 9% (BHA)- on PIH, stubborn spots to help clear out the pore

Moisturize- key to not be too dry

I also have been using Paula's Choice 10% AHA peel 1 night a week to exfoliate top layer. I just ordered Makeup Artist's Choice Mandelic Acid peel, suppose to be gentle, antibacterial, exfoliates and gets into the pore.

Best thing to do is ease into it. This is slowly shrinking some of the clogs down over the days/weeks until they are gone or peel. Helping with PIH and helping to exfoliate those clogs and get them to either come to surface without crazy inflammation or kinda rub out of the pore when it dries up.

I've just started on the major attack of these clogs over the last few weeks and really starting to see some better tone, smoother areas and final clearing out of the clogs. Just my experience, and not repping any products. There are many other brands out there, this is just what I use and what has not caused any crazy reactions, only what is suppose to happen. :-) Happy Friday my fellow acne.org friend!

MemberMember
(@cicibabygirl)

Posted : 03/07/2014 2:41 pm

I agree with CarpeMomentum, exfoliate! That works best for comedones, from my experience. Obviously you don't want something too irritating though. I use Dan's AHA mixed with his moisturizer and jojoba oil every so often at night. I have SUPER sensitive skin, and my acne has started to improve greatly, so I don't use it as often anymore because it burns like a mother.

I wish you luck! It's hard finding something that works, I know.