Notifications
Clear all

Scalp Scars

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/07/2014 1:55 am

I had a nasty outbreak of acne on my scalp for like 6 years. had a bad habit at picking my hair at the acne spot on my scalp.

I realized i was getting acne like bumps on my scalp form major stress and plus i have oily skin that made it worse.

Head is clear now with occasional acne, one day i got a very short haircut and later on i noticed a bunch of mini ice pick dents in my scalp. It was truly heartbreaking.

Felt embarrassed and still do if i get a short cut.

I mean theres gotta be 100+ of these little bastard scars. I can grow my hair out for 3 weeks and they are gone because my hair covers them up.

Are their ways to remove or reduce these scars? chemical peels? any type of surgery? they are like connect the dots type of scars.

Sucks for me but still i keep my head up!

No pictures yet

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 3:22 am

Did your "breakouts" look like this: or this: at any point?

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:09 pm

From what i could tell, it was maybe getting like that. I only shaved my head once and there was many red spots. they were literally like pimples sometime pustules and i used to pop them. But i never saw them like that in the pictures. in those pictures, those are like red patches. Mine were bumps and mini cystic acne. like half the size of a U.S dime for some of the bigger ones i got.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 3:25 pm

From what i could tell, it was maybe getting like that. I only shaved my head once and there was many red spots. they were literally like pimples sometime pustules and i used to pop them. But i never saw them like that in the pictures. in those pictures, those are like red patches. Mine were bumps and mini cystic acne. like half the size of a U.S dime for some of the bigger ones i got.

Ingrown hairs are possible for the scalp area.

Are you of African-American descent with curly hair?

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:22 pm

No im of middle eastern descent. No curly har but i do have thick hair and oily skin.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:24 pm

No im of middle eastern descent. No curly har but i do have thick hair and oily skin.

Did you lose any hair in some areas because of the scars?

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:27 pm

I really thought i was but they grew back. I have one spot that didnt.

The scars are visible when i get a number '0' cut.

Even then people tell me its not that bad at all but still very noticeable.

The scars are exactly the same as tiny ice pick scars.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:30 pm

You can be treated surgically, but it depends on how deep the ice pick scars are. You'll have to be extra careful, because you have darker skin and are at risk for hyperpigmentation problems.

Go to realself.com/find for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:32 pm

You can be treated surgically, but it depends on how deep the ice pick scars are. You'll have to be extra careful, because you have darker skin and are at risk for hyperpigmentation problems.

My skin is actually olive type which is white during winter and tan olive during summer. Not sure if that make a difference.

Thanks for replying

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:33 pm

My skin is actually olive type which is white during winter and tan olive during summer. Not sure if that make a difference.

Thanks for replying

Yes it does, actually. And that you need sun protection. ;)

You're welcome! :)