Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Experience For A Girl With Mild Acne

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/06/2014 10:03 pm

I started my accutane (Zenatane) course on February 13th, 2014 and I am already positive that this is the best decision I have made in a long time. I have had mild to moderate acne since I was 12 and I finally decided to join the accutane bandwagon after years of topicals, foundations, antibiotics, etc.

I have normal to dry skin and persistent mild acne with a few cysts that appear once a month. I am almost at the one month mark, and I have seen a noticeable difference in my skin. I am taking 20mg this month and my next dose will be 30mg. Here are my stats:

• I have slightly dry skin and chapped lips, but nothing too bad at all.
  • I got a few cysts after two weeks (around my cycle), but those went away within a few days.
  • I feel more sensitive to any sudden change in light or loud noises.
  • I feel that my skin gets pink quicker in the sun than it used to. (I usually tan and hardly ever burn).
  • Previous blackheads and blemishes are coming up to the surface.
  • My overall complexion is smoother, my pores are shrinking and my previous acne scars seem to be fading.
  • My hands are irritated from dryness.

The products I am using while on accutane are:

• Cetaphil skin cleanser
  • Cetaphil daily moisturizer and sunscreen SPF 50
  • Sephora Collection liquid primer
  • Bare Minerals foundation, powder and bronzer

All of these are working well!

I don't mind the possibility of getting worse acne/side effects on a higher dosage. I am so excited to see how my skin improves over the next few months!

I will update towards the end of month two. So far, so good!

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/06/2014 10:42 pm

The products I am using while on accutane are:

• Cetaphil skin cleanser
  • Cetaphil daily moisturizer and sunscreen SPF 50
  • Sephora Collection liquid primer
  • Bare Minerals foundation, powder and bronzer

All of these are working well!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:16 am

Are you applying 1/4 teaspoon of sunscreen?

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/07/2014 1:02 pm

Are you applying 1/4 teaspoon of sunscreen?

Yes, I apply Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 50 and it's worked well for me.

MemberMember
(@lilypad89)

Posted : 03/15/2014 12:02 am

Hello! Hey, I'm new too! I started with 10 mg 3 weeks ago. And just started 20mg yest.

Like you, my dryness is manageable.

And once I started 20mg one cyst came out.

My acne is mild and I resorted to isotretinoin

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/25/2014 8:45 pm

Hello! Hey, I'm new too! I started with 10 mg 3 weeks ago. And just started 20mg yest.

Like you, my dryness is manageable.

And once I started 20mg one cyst came out.

My acne is mild and I resorted to isotretinoin

Hi Lilypad89,

I am on day 41 and I am seeing positive results so far. Thanks for replying!

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/25/2014 9:16 pm

Today marks day 41 of my accutane treatment and my skin looked pretty clear with the help of some Bare Minerals foundation! I got a few cysts since my last post, but they are finally going away. I am currently on day 11 of 30mgs.

I am still using Cetaphil face cleanser, Trader Joe's Antioxidant Face Moisturizer (This is the best moisturizer I have ever used, and it's cheap!) Cetaphil moisturizer with sunscreen, Sephora collection foundation primer and Bare Minerals foundation. I have used the Proactiv sulfer mask on small spots a few nights to lighten them up and it's helped a bit, without excessively drying my skin.

Overall, my skin has smoothed out and spots are slowly fading. I only have three small bumps on my face. Blackheads are raising and disappearing on my nose. My lips have cracked a little, but they are not visually noticeable to others. My hands get very dry, as well as certain parts of my face that are trying to heal. I have noticed my hair getting thinner, but that could just be me over-thinking it. At least I can go a few days without washing my hair! Those are my only negative symptoms!

I love Accutane and what it is doing for my skin. I only wish I had gone on it sooner. I'll post again at the beginning of month #3. Hopefully I will have completely clear skin by then!

MemberMember
(@lastcenturion)

Posted : 03/26/2014 7:31 am

Hey! We're basically using the exact same products haha. I use the cetaphil cleanser + moisturiser but I use an organic sunscreen brand instead. I love the BM foundation, I hope it helps along with my own roaccutane process :) I'm so glad things are going well for you! I'm on about day 24? or early 20s, went from 10mg for the first two weeks to 20mg and I've been getting a lot more breakouts and blackheads, nothing's improved so far but I just hope I'm being impatient and obsessive. Good luck for the rest of your course! I'll continue to read your log :)

MemberMember
(@lilypad89)

Posted : 03/26/2014 9:02 am

I'm slightly behind you! Still on 20 mg.

38days on accutane

13 days on 20 mg!

I am having 4 pimples on my face. Is that considered ok?

My skin is smoother too... You think I should ask my derm to push it up to 30mg?

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/27/2014 7:41 pm

Hey! We're basically using the exact same products haha. I use the cetaphil cleanser + moisturiser but I use an organic sunscreen brand instead. I love the BM foundation, I hope it helps along with my own roaccutane process I'm so glad things are going well for you! I'm on about day 24? or early 20s, went from 10mg for the first two weeks to 20mg and I've been getting a lot more breakouts and blackheads, nothing's improved so far but I just hope I'm being impatient and obsessive. Good luck for the rest of your course! I'll continue to read your log

Hi lastcenturion,

Thanks for the comment! I know some people felt that Bare Minerals foundation didn't work well during their accutane course, but it has worked well for me, even with dry (somewhat flakey) skin. I don't have an oily shine, so Bare Minerals works much better when I apply it right after applying the Trader Joe's moisturizer, Cetaphil sunscreen and the Sephora foundation primer. I am not sure if my skin will become more dry once I go on a higher dose, but I am sure I'll find a way to adjust!

Breakouts and blackheads are expected. Just be excited that your skin is changing! They say, "It gets worse before it gets better." The blemishes I have gotten on Accutane have healed quickly. I want to know when you see a noticeable difference in your skin! Accutane is exciting because everyone has a different reaction. Good luck with your course!

MemberMember
(@simplify)

Posted : 03/27/2014 7:58 pm

38days on accutane

13 days on 20 mg!

My skin is smoother too... You think I should ask my derm to push it up to 30mg?

Hi Lilypad89,

I had a similar situation in the middle of my 20mg month. Four pimples isn't bad at all, just be glad that it's coming to the surface and going away for good.

Be patient! Your dermatologist most likely already has a plan of your dosages by month based on your weight. My dermatologist said she would put me on 20mg-30mg-(40mg?)-60mg-60mg-60mg, assuming that my bloodwork looks fine each month. I personally like that my dermatologist has put me on a slow but steady course because it has made it easy to get used to any side effects. I'm glad your skin is smoother! I think you are going to get more and more excited each day when you see how your skin is improving. At least, that's how I am beginning to feel! I hope everything continues to go well for you!

MemberMember
(@lilypad89)

Posted : 03/27/2014 9:44 pm

38days on accutane

13 days on 20 mg!

Hi Lilypad89,

I had a similar situation in the middle of my 20mg month. Four pimples isn't bad at all, just be glad that it's coming to the surface and going away for good.

Be patient! Your dermatologist most likely already has a plan of your dosages by month based on your weight. My dermatologist said she would put me on 20mg-30mg-(40mg?)-60mg-60mg-60mg, assuming that my bloodwork looks fine each month. I personally like that my dermatologist has put me on a slow but steady course because it has made it easy to get used to any side effects. I'm glad your skin is smoother! I think you are going to get more and more excited each day when you see how your skin is improving. At least, that's how I am beginning to feel! I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Love how positive you are

I am at 40 mg now!

I hope there are no IB.

I wish I was as positive as you