Need New Moisturize...

Notifications
Clear all

Need New Moisturizer. Please Help!

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/06/2014 2:59 am

I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with Sunscreen SPF 15 for the morning as part of the regimen. I've noticed it's too oily, greasy, and shiny looking for my combination skin, so I need something else, but I just don't know what to get! I've been thinking about the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 30 because reviews say it has no shine, and leaves a smooth matte finish, which sounds perfect, but it sounds more like just sunblock than moisturizer, and I need both because my skin is very dry and flaky from the mouth down so I need to moisturize, but I also need protection from the suns rays, and very very importantly- it can't be oily or leave skin shiny! Please help me, I don't know what to do or where to look anymore. Please!!

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 03/06/2014 11:59 am

Unfortunately with moisturisers, it's pretty difficult to find one that doesn't leave a shine or look obvious on your face. I'd putting a small amount on first, let it dry/absorb/whatever, and then do the same a few more times. This can help it to not stay on your skin, which tends to create the shiny look.

However, I know Nivea do a pretty good oil free day cream which is quite matte.

Are you using jojoba oil? Using it before you sleep can really help with flakes and dry skin, so much so that you may not need to apply as much moisturiser in the morning. AHA also helps to eliminate dryness.

Another thing is vaseline, put it on your face before you sleep and your skin is very soft looking the next day. That's only if it doesn't make you break out, because it can in some people.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/06/2014 12:54 pm

There are two moisturizers that I like that do not make my face shiny.

One by CeraVe and one by Cetaphil (for sensitive skin with SPF15).

Some times if my face is really dry I just apply borage oil to the really dry areas, it works really well and doesn't make me break out at all.

Personally Vaseline never worked well for me and caused more blemishes. But everyone reacts differently so it is kind of trial and error I find.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@emeycakes837)

Posted : 03/06/2014 2:59 pm

Clinique moisture surge extended thirst relief is a great moisturizer that leaves absolutely no shine on your skin.

The Neutrogena dry touch sunblock is really good as far as not leaving any shine. I use a separate sunblock from my moisturizer because I've never found a good moisturizer with SPF, good meaning it doesn't break me out and doesn't look shiny. So I would try the dry touch sunblock, and I agree with the others about adding an oil for your really dry areas at night. Good luck. The dry skin is the worst thing about BP, I think.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/06/2014 9:05 pm

Unfortunately with moisturisers, it's pretty difficult to find one that doesn't leave a shine or look obvious on your face. I'd putting a small amount on first, let it dry/absorb/whatever, and then do the same a few more times. This can help it to not stay on your skin, which tends to create the shiny look.

However, I know Nivea do a pretty good oil free day cream which is quite matte.

Are you using jojoba oil? Using it before you sleep can really help with flakes and dry skin, so much so that you may not need to apply as much moisturiser in the morning. AHA also helps to eliminate dryness.

Another thing is vaseline, put it on your face before you sleep and your skin is very soft looking the next day. That's only if it doesn't make you break out, because it can in some people.

any name on that Nivea stuff? I am not using jojoba oil right now. I have noticed though, my face is getting less dry, i believe because i have been using noticeably less and a thinner layer of BP on my face. I just got my AHA+ today in the mail, so ill be using that tonight, and never in the morning obviously. I dont plan on using Vaseline, that stuff is pure pore clogging gunk, its good for skin like hands and stuff, but not for faces at all, not worth the risk to me.

There are two moisturizers that I like that do not make my face shiny.

One by CeraVe and one by Cetaphil (for sensitive skin with SPF15).

Some times if my face is really dry I just apply borage oil to the really dry areas, it works really well and doesn't make me break out at all.

Personally Vaseline never worked well for me and caused more blemishes. But everyone reacts differently so it is kind of trial and error I find.

Good luck.

Names on those Cerave and Cetaphil moisturizers? Ive actually been planning on getting this cerave moisturizer, ill link later. Does the cerave have spf 15? I dont plan on using Vaseline.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/07/2014 9:46 am

As a suncscreen I use the Cetaphil DermaControl oil-absorbing lotion with SPF30. It's got zinc in it I think so it actually makes my skin look really matte. I used to have really oily skin and this helped control it really well. It's not as moisturising as I'd like, so I use Cetaphil's normal moisturising lotion before the SPF30 one. If I just use that by itself it does give a little shine, but combined with the SPF30 one it actually ends up covering the shine and everything else so maybe you could look into those ones?

Edit: I tried CeraVe and it actually broke me out, but I use it on my hands since I never returned it and it feels very hydrating haha. Too bad it didn't work for me though.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 03/07/2014 10:30 am

Try the Neutrogena oil-free combination skin formula. Or if you prefer an spf moisturizer try Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin.

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:29 pm

I think it's in the Nivea Essentials range - "oil free moisturising day cream". But I'm from the UK, so they might have something under a different name if you're somewhere else.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/07/2014 10:17 pm

I didnt know we had this in my house, i guess my mom got it when she recently went to target? Or maybe she's seen my posts here ...hope not lol. But yeah, today in the morning i found a bottle of Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock Broad Spectrum SPF 55 in our medicine cabinet mirror thing, so i tried it. I have to say its pretty good, actually is matte and does not make my skin shiny except for places that are extremely oily like my nose. It doesnt really moisturize super good, but thats expected, becomes invisible when dries in like a minute. So far i dont think it has clogged any pores, but too early to tell i guess *knocks on wood* hopefully wont clog pores though... Did a good job at protecting skin against sun.

On a separate note, my skin is a lot less dry, *knocks on wood... again* i think its because ive been using less and a thinner layer of BP on my face. It actually seems to not only help with dryness, but also seems to be more effective at keeping my skin clear, i dont think my skin has had this little amount of pimples in a long time*knocks on wood...again...again * Its mostly just dark acne scars, some weird hard bumps under skin from recent past pimples, and like tiny dried up pimples almost at time to fall off- like little barely noticeable scabs.. if that makes sense. But yeah, been getting much better and hopefully only keeps getting better!!!

And i tried AHA+ for first time last night. Did 1/2 aha and 1/2 moisturizer. Stung for a bit, but went away. Made my face red kinda for the night, and in the morning it was still slightly red. When i woke up though, my face was noticeably softer, less dry, and was nearly flakeless in the usually really dry areas! I was researching if the red face was normal and found this thread:

But this was the best and most important part: #entry3341285 So im going to slow down a bit with the AHA+ and use a little less, like maybe 1/4 aha and 3/4 moisturizer at night.