Notifications
Clear all

About To Start Accutane - Aged 32

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/05/2014 6:05 pm

Hi

I'm new to the forum. I'm about to start accurate I hope fingers crossed on the 14th of March. Currently I have very bad cystic acne which has been getting steadily worse for about two years. I have tried everything and choosing accutane has been so difficult as my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the last two years. That's now all on hold because of my skin! I'm 32 years old so this is not a choice I made lightly. Currently the left side of my face has three huge cysts. The rest of my skin is regular spotty and red but nothing I couldn't handle. These large lumps have pushed me to the accutane decision. I'm absolutely terrified about starting but I alSo know I can't keep going on the way things are it's destroying my life and putting my marriage at risk. Any words of encouragement shared stories would be fab. Hugs Peaches x

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 03/05/2014 7:44 pm

Hey Peaches! I can relate to your struggles. I'm 35 now, and I did my first course of Accutane 9 years ago and it was great. When I went off the pill to have a baby I noticed my acne came back a bit (I am completely a hormonal acne person), but not very badly, so I didn't think much of it, and I cleared up while pregnant. Then we thought we should try for another, so I went off the pill again. This time we weren't as fortunate getting pregnant quickly, and my acne slowly crept back over the course of about a year. It finally got so bad last fall I had to choose between continuing to try and get pregnant and going back on Accutane and the pill to get my skin back under control. I went with option b, because I am a better person and a better mother to the child I do have when I am not in that horrible acne place. It was a hard choice to make, but I think it was the right one.

You will be happy with your decision. And, in all honesty, now that I am not in such an emotional place, I am thinking we might try again (for a baby) a bit after my course is done. At 32, you certainly can do this too, so don't think you are giving up hope on the baby thing, just think you are preparing yourself to be a better mother first.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/09/2014 11:35 am

Hi Kim

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting this all behind me and being able to concentrate on becoming a mum again. I'm supposed to start accutane this coming Friday had all my blood work done at the end of last week so will pick up results on Thursday I'm worried about the side effects but feeling ready to get rid of these cystic horrors! Love to hear more from others on their journey x

MemberMember
(@chimychanga)

Posted : 03/09/2014 11:00 pm

Hey I saw your post and thought I'd share my experience. I was also 32 when I started my accutane treatment. I'm a guy so I'm not in the same boat as you regarding the pregnancy issue. I had very bad cystic acne one my cheeks that were huge and took usually around 2 weeks to go away only to have another one replace it right away. It was a no win situation! After trying topical and pill antibiotics with no succuess I decided on accutane. I'm on 80mg/day and I'm about to finish my 5th month. My skin has really cleared up nicely. I'm very happy with the results but I'm worried about the side effects I ccurrently have and the long term effects. My joints really hurt in my fingers, left shoulder and my muscle hurts in my right forearm. Along with losing 8lbs, dry skin and lips,nose bleeds, mood swings, fatigue and some depression.

MemberMember
(@chimychanga)

Posted : 03/09/2014 11:02 pm

I got cut off sorry. I hope your journey goes well and the results you see are totally going to be worth it! Good luck...

MemberMember
(@rocklerm78)

Posted : 03/10/2014 7:01 am

Hello!

I can also relate. I'm 35 and taking my second round of Accutane. It worked really well the first time and my skin was clear for about 4 years. Like Kim28, I'm also a hormonal acne person. After I had my daughter (and really, when I stopped breastfeeding) my skin went nuts. So, I decided to take Accutane again. It is working nicely and my skin is almost cleared up. I might suggest asking your doctor about Absorica. I'm actually on that, which is apparently a newer form of Accutane. It's just as effective but it's slightly gentler on your system, esp. your stomach. The side effects can be annoying - I have some joint stiffness, dry skin and lips, and constant sinus issues - but I can deal with those if it clears up my skin! You are not alone in this! Don't be terrified - I've been nervous both times I have taken it, but it's not as bad during and it's all been worth it. I stay out of the sun and avoid alcohol, but I still go the gym, etc. It hasn't slowed me down much. Plus, I believe recent studies have suggested depression is not as common with Accutane as once thought; I've never had any trouble with that while on it. I think the course will go by quickly for you, you'll love the results, and then you can get on to better, more important things like having a precious little baby :) It's just a few months in the grand scheme of things, hang in there. Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/11/2014 6:48 pm

Hi

Thanks for the responses it's good to know I'm not alone. Chimychanga I'm sorry to hear about the side effects but fingers crossed they go away when you finish the course. Rocklerm78 I will ask my derm about the newer accurate although I'm in the uk and think you just have to take what they have? I know the one I'm getting is without the peanut additive so not sure which that is. My appointment is this Friday so will report back to you all with how I get on. Fingers crossed its a quick 4 month course and I have my skin clear and back to its old self again soon. Hugs xxx

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 03/12/2014 12:28 am

rocklerm- I think I was back on the pill 6 weeks post partum, so I was still breastfeeding? Maybe that is why I avoided problems with my first child. Just got back from the derm today and she had lots of promising things to say.

Peaches - Hoping all is well. I am also taking absorica (it's epuris in Canada). It is supposedly absorbed better than the traditional form. However, if you make sure to take your pill with a big fatty meal (seriously), you can get just as good absorption no matter what type you take. Not sure if it has any peanut relate additives.

MemberMember
(@imeybu)

Posted : 03/12/2014 5:09 pm

HI Peaches!! Just like you, I just begin my treatment on March 6th, I am on day 6th and just began to experience the dryness. I am 34 and I totally understand how you feel. I will be here to cheer you on during your journey since we are only a few days apart on our start dates. Good luck!!! Clear skin here we come....lol

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/14/2014 5:25 pm

Hi everyone not a great day. I went to doctors today and I can't start until the 28th of March. I know it's silly but I'm absolutely gutted! I know it's just two weeks but I just want to start and get it over with now! So, upset that I have to wait now. It's because they have to do the second pregnancy test on a certain cycle day, which is ridiculous the whole reason I'm in this predicament is because I couldn't get pregnant after two years of trying it's like a lap in the face. Sorry to be such a bummer just feeling horrid!

Imeybu thanks for the message be good to cat more once I'm finally on this journey. Fingers crossed for you and lovely clear skin ASAP xxx

MemberMember
(@smileyjoy)

Posted : 03/15/2014 11:34 am

Hi everyone not a great day. I went to doctors today and I can't start until the 28th of March. I know it's silly but I'm absolutely gutted! I know it's just two weeks but I just want to start and get it over with now! So, upset that I have to wait now. It's because they have to do the second pregnancy test on a certain cycle day, which is ridiculous the whole reason I'm in this predicament is because I couldn't get pregnant after two years of trying it's like a lap in the face. Sorry to be such a bummer just feeling horrid!

Imeybu thanks for the message be good to cat more once I'm finally on this journey. Fingers crossed for you and lovely clear skin ASAP xxx

Hi Peaches - I know exactly how you feel, I was supposed to start Feb.4th, but my registration with iPledge was screwed up and I wasn't able to start until March 6th. I was so upset when I heard the news, but I just prepared myself for going on accutane by purchasing all of my moisturizer, eye drops, lip balm, etc and then trying my best not to think too much about it (I know that part is hard!). The time actually went by pretty quickly for me and I hope it does for you too!!

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/15/2014 11:59 am

That's so funny SmileyJoy straight after I wrote the post above I went online and bought all my aveeno stuff as recommended by the derm. Great minds think a like x thanks for the encouragement how are things going for you now?

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/19/2014 5:44 pm

5 giant cysts just getting bigger fml come on accutane let's get on you #rollonthe28 #fedup

MemberMember
(@persnickitychick)

Posted : 03/21/2014 11:11 am

OH dear, I am so sorry you are going through such a rough time. Hopefully once you get on accutane things will start to clear up for you quickly, and those cysts will start to fade.

If the side effects get bad, you can always ask to lower your dosage to a more manageable level. I wasn't able to handle the dosage recommended for my weight, so now I am on a fraction of that, until I can get rid of some excess tane in my system. There are a lot of very supportive people on here, so hopefully you will get all of the encouragement you need along the way!

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/26/2014 8:08 pm

Hi everyone fingers crossed only two more days to go before I start. Can't come quick enough x

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 03/30/2014 4:55 pm

Hi all started on Saturday finally on the journey feeling very nervous. Fingers crossed for a smooth ride x hope you are all well and getting clear xxx

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 03/30/2014 9:48 pm

Yay for getting started. The beginning of the end is pretty exciting. I am at day 131. It has been a roller coaster at times, but well worth it.

Hope you have lots of blistex. :)

MemberMember
(@j0shparko)

Posted : 04/01/2014 10:41 am

Hi ill definitely be following its such a relief to hear other people having the same problems best of luck x

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 04/05/2014 1:25 pm

Hi everyone so today is my day eight. My lips are a little dry and my skin is starting to dry out around my chin area. All manageable, however I woke up this morning with tummy cramps and bloating. It's been 12 hours and it's still really uncomfortable, I feel really gassy but unable to shift it anyone else had this?

MemberMember
(@chimychanga)

Posted : 04/05/2014 2:16 pm

I get that feeling every morning and sometimes throughout the day. My digestion has really been screwed up on tane' and I hope it goes back to normal once I'm finished with it. I drink hot tea and that usually helps calm everything down. Just one of the lovely side effects of this miracle drug lol.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 04/05/2014 4:25 pm

Some people get a little constipated when they first start - maybe it's this? It should resolve within a few days. If it doesn't, or if you are in pain, or start feeling worse, I would call your medical professional right away. It's probably nothing, but it always makes me feel better when my doctor says it really is nothing!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/07/2014 12:45 pm

This did happen to me in the beginning, although I am a bit prone to bloating/ tummy problems already. Drinking about twice as much water as normal (I notice that all my side-effects, including gastro, become more severe if I forget to drink enough water), eat more fiber (but make sure you increase the fiber ONLY if you increase the water, if you don't it will just make things worst) and take a good probiotic everyday (The kind that come refrigerated. They are more pricey but it makes a dramatic difference in my opinion). I use a very high count probiotic designed specifically for women, it has a strain of probiotic called LACTOBACILLUS RHAMNOSUS that is very good for vaginal health (I am very paranoid about yeast infections. Although I am not especially prone to them, the last one I got was so severe I almost went to the emergency room and have been traumatized ever since). The one I take is called Ultimate Flora Women's Complete, but any good probiotic will do I am sure. I also drink a nice strong cup of joe in the morning with breakfast to help keep things moving. I haven't had many issues with bloating or constipation since I started this routine.

I think drinking lots and lots of water is your best (and least expensive) bet though. NOTE: As Kim mentioned, if at any time you feel pain beyond the normal for you (tearing, sharp, etc.) or if you feel sick, call the doc.

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 04/09/2014 12:31 pm

Hi ladies thanks for feedback. The pain lasted all day Saturday and some of Sunday but is gone now. It wasn't constipation and so far I'm not having an issue with this (fingers crossed). Unfortunately due to a host of dietary requirements I can't have dairy or a lot of carbs which makes probiotics and fibre intake difficult. My body is pretty used to gastro issues but I'm hoping that it was just a one off on Saturday.

I'm coming up on two weeks on 30mg now and so far I have had some mild IB. I'm begining to see dryness on my face I'm definitely not getting the oil slick feeling at thee nd of the day anymore. Yesterday and today I have felt a bit itchy on my scalp and the dry lips are kicking in. On the good side the cycts on the left side of my face doesn't seem as inflamed although they have been there since January so my perspective is a bit all over the place. I'm feeling pretty positive and really appreciate everyone's feedback and support it's nice to know you are not alone.

I'm off on holiday from Friday for two weeks my husband and I have planned a wee trip down the coast and then I'm off to Spain with some girlfriends. I'm not to worried about the sun as being a ginger person I have never been one for the sun anyway. However bummed about the lack of booze haha, my derm did say it was fine to have some wine with a meal so I will be doing that but otherwise I will just be taking the photos of the tequila shots of the ladies and telling them all their drunken stories the next day.

X

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 04/15/2014 4:03 pm

Hello all on day 17 still not much change other than dry lips. One cyst ruptured yuck! But hasn't really gone away despite lots of poison coming out. Have one more smaller cyst forming though ugh! On a good note the largest cyst on my left cheek seems to be getting smaller. Wish it would all just hurry up and clear. Have derm in Friday thinking about asking for cortisone shots anyone had them? What should I be saying!

MemberMember
(@peaches28)

Posted : 04/23/2014 11:19 am

Not sure if anyone is out there? I'm now on day 27 was put up to 60mg last Friday so far only increase in side effects are that my hands are itchy and dry. My lips are still dry but nothing else so far..... Fingers crossed.

The cysts are still there big style which is annoying however the redness is gone and the rest of my skin is very smooth. How is everyone else doing?