Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agoff

Youth and scar treatment!!

My daughter is 17. She has had acne for about 6 months. We got her cleared up using Benzaclin. She is left with very shallow scarring. Mostly icepicks and rolling scars on her left cheek.

It seems that she is still healing. I just can't tell if we should wait or go ahead and start to work on the scars while they are fresh? Most of the scars she has are from breakouts in July which went away about 1st of August.

I am thinking about Smoothbeam.

My daughter is 17.  She has had acne for about 6 months. We got her cleared up using Benzaclin.  She is left with very shallow scarring. Mostly icepicks and rolling scars on her left cheek.

It seems that she is still healing.  I just can't tell if we should wait or go ahead and start to work on the scars while they are fresh?  Most of the scars she has are from breakouts in July which went away about 1st of August.

I am thinking about Smoothbeam.

Mmmmm, I tend to disagree with GuardedlyOptimistic. The only reason I can think of for hesitating is that she may not be "in the clear" yet. Benzaclin has no "fragility factor," like accutane does.

However, even if she might start breaking out later, she can be put on accutane to nip it in the bud, or something like that... I would, after all, rather go on accutane to preserve "revised" skin than for any other reason.

I think this is a good time to start looking into revision treatments... A word of advice: don't be afraid to do something rather deep-- the baby step treatments (lovely peels, light therapy, even needling) are often temporary, and, when not, often yield results that can only be -measured- in baby steps.

Mmmmm, I tend to disagree with GuardedlyOptimistic. The only reason I can think of for hesitating is that she may not be "in the clear" yet. Benzaclin has no "fragility factor," like accutane does.

However, even if she might start breaking out later, she can be put on accutane to nip it in the bud, or something like that... I would, after all, rather go on accutane to preserve "revised" skin than for any other reason.

I think this is a good time to start looking into revision treatments...  A word of advice: don't be afraid to do something rather deep-- the baby step treatments (lovely peels, light therapy, even needling) are often temporary, and, when not, often yield results that can only be -measured- in baby steps.

Guest niko

I think this is a good time to start looking into revision treatments...  A word of advice: don't be afraid to do something rather deep-- the baby step treatments (lovely peels, light therapy, even needling) are often temporary, and, when not, often yield results that can only be -measured- in baby steps.

Smoothbeam. I'm on it right now and love it. Promotes collagen and helps with acne by shrinking the oil glands. Its killing two birds with 1 stone.

Personally I would wait and see how she heals. I certainly would not recommend a highly invasive procedure if she only has shallow scarring. Not to mention she is so young, and scars do soften with time.

I would try Smoothbeam. It may help keep the acne at bay as well as help with the shallow scarring.

And yes-- I reccommend smoothbeam, too, but only in conjunction with the vBeam laser, and only at (or above! Yikes!) the 14 joules setting. It -absolutely- helped with my scars, but it also made me break out (when not used with vBeam).

So for someone who is 21 years old and only has shallow scarring (well, okay, more like ONE shallow scar that I'd like to get rid of), what would you recommend? It appears to be either a rolling or a boxcar type scar, but it's only about a month old. Do you think it will go away on its own? I should mention that I've had mild to moderate acne since I was about 14 and even though I've picked at other scabs, I don't have any scars from them, making me think that I'm not very prone to scarring. I've been putting Vitamin K on this mark and am just about to go get some vitamin E stuff to use on it as well. I'm hoping that it will heal on its own, but if not I'm ready to undergo treatment to get rid of it.

I would wait *at least* until the redness has subsided. From what I have read it takes 3 months to a year for collagen to remodel. At this point in time, I would use nourishing, non-irritating topicals that are known to help remodel collagen.

A lot of great advice!! I am thinking Smoothbeam / V beam will be our starting point. It will help in ridding her from any active acne and help with redness and scarring.

Now the only thing is finding a good physician in my area. I am in Memphis,TN.

I have heard Dr. Joseph Chu recommended on this board, but I don't think it was for Smoothbeam. I think a doctor in Birmingham,AL is supposed to be good with Smoothbeam, which would not be too far for me.

Does anyone know of the doctor in Birmingham that is good with Smoothbeam?

Dr. Monheit is located in Birmingham, AL. You can also do a Search at the top of the board for "birmingham" to see what comes up.

I would wait *at least* until the redness has subsided. From what I have read it takes 3 months to a year for collagen to remodel. At this point in time, I would use nourishing, non-irritating topicals that are known to help remodel collagen.

Luna-- Pure Deming's Intense Gel would be a nice option. They smell really, really nice... and are full of all the active cosmeceutical ingredients (ALA, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, DMAE) that were so big in Perricone's wrinkle cure. I, actually, do recommend that stuff, and am probably going to get a little bottle of the original formula to help me through the ridiculously cold and dry Chicago winter.

ps I say "they" because the Intense Gels come in two formulations. The Original, which has... I believe safflower and olive oils as carriers, and the Acne Formula, which has non-comedogenic jojoba oil as its carrier.

Luna-- Pure Deming's Intense Gel would be a nice option. They smell really, really nice... and are full of all the active cosmeceutical ingredients (ALA, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, DMAE) that were so big in Perricone's wrinkle cure. I, actually, do recommend that stuff, and am probably going to get a little bottle of the original formula to help me through the ridiculously cold and dry Chicago winter.

ps I say "they" because the Intense Gels come in two formulations. The Original, which has... I believe safflower and olive oils as carriers, and the Acne Formula, which has non-comedogenic jojoba oil as its carrier.

What kind of collagen elastic cream is recommended?? The ones widely available that in departmental stores I see is by St Ives Collagen Elastin.

I'm 21, still young and healty smile.gif But I have scars and breakouts once a while. Will this cream irritate my skin? What should I avoid at this age (since I'm still prone to breakouts).

And yeah, back to the question, St Ives Collagen Elastin?

What kind of collagen elastic cream is recommended?? The ones widely available that in departmental stores I see is by St Ives Collagen Elastin.

I'm 21, still young and healty  smile.gif But I have scars and breakouts once a while. Will this cream irritate my skin? What should I avoid at this age (since I'm still prone to breakouts).

And yeah, back to the question, St Ives Collagen Elastin?

I just got myself a Neutrogena Moisture and a Neutrogena Toner (one with AHA and BHA). I couldn't quite find or afford the other regimens, so I'll try out with these first since they're Non-comedogenic as well as it's stated for sensitive skin. I was targetting for Eucerin Renewal but no matter which store I went, there wasn't Eucerin renewal, there was Eucerin Hydroxy and all those others though confused.gif