Notifications
Clear all

Still Struggling With Acne. Abnormal Breakout On Forehead And Consistent Breakouts Elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 03/05/2014 2:21 am

I've posted on this board a few times about my acne and haven't found much of a solution yet.

I was told to try both a face mask and a retinol cream moisturizer.

What two products would be good to subdue breakouts? I'm not sure on the % of retinol OTC I should be using.

As of right now, I'm using cetaphil face cleanser in the morning and a 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash and cetaphil 15 spf moisturizer at night and I'm still getting bad breakouts.

About my forehead, it started after plucking my eyebrows one night and from there has continued to worsen and not get any better.

It looks like folliculitis but I'm not too sure.

Any suggestions on what face mask and retinol % or product I should use?

All help is appreciated. :(

post-374281-0-47079600-1394003949.jpg

post-374281-0-47079600-1394003949.jpg

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/05/2014 3:16 am

I've posted on this board a few times about my acne and haven't found much of a solution yet.

I was told to try both a face mask and a retinol cream moisturizer.

What two products would be good to subdue breakouts? I'm not sure on the % of retinol OTC I should be using.

As of right now, I'm using cetaphil face cleanser in the morning and a 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash and cetaphil 15 spf moisturizer at night and I'm still getting bad breakouts.

About my forehead, it started after plucking my eyebrows one night and from there has continued to worsen and not get any better.

It looks like folliculitis but I'm not too sure.

Any suggestions on what face mask and retinol % or product I should use?

All help is appreciated.

SkinMedica and SkinCeuticals have 1% retinol products. Advanced Skin Technology has a 0.6% retinol product called Green Cream. Be sure to follow directions carefully.

I'd say the only face mask worth using would be one with sulfur. Olay has a 10% sulfur mask, and there's a De la Cruz one that's an ointment/mask with the same amount.

Since it looks like your acne isn't getting any better, if not worse (could be just the pics), I'd advise you to go to a dermatologist and get the better/stronger prescription retinoid topicals.

Numidian7 liked
MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 03/05/2014 3:56 am

Well I don't have insurance which makes going to a dermatologist problematic.

If I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, I'm afraid I might be allergic to sulfur masks as well.

Eesh, those retinol products are pricey.

I might go ahead and try green cream level 3 to start off with.

Would you recommend that it's a good retinol product to help stop breakouts and clear up my skin?

Since you seem to be fairly knowledgeable with skin products, what would you recommend as a daily face wash and cleanser?

Cetaphil and 10% benzoyl use to work fine but my skin doesn't want to cooperate now for some reason...

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 03/05/2014 7:10 am

It could be folliculitis on your forehead, or perhaps a reaction. I would suggest not putting anything on your forehead for a couple of days and perhaps use an anti fungal shampoo, that is if you think it is folliculitis. All the best

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/05/2014 8:59 am

I've been using the Borghese line for masks the past few years. I'm currently using the Borghese Fango Delicato mud mask which is a light green but the first one I ever used is the original dark green one. It's really good at drying up your acne and also brightening up your dark spots. The light green and dark green masks essentially do the same thing but the light green one is more gentle and hydrating where as the dark green one is a little too harsh on my now sensitive skin.

Perhaps you should try a lower % BP since 10% is pretty high and can irritate/dry out your skin.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/06/2014 1:43 am

Well I don't have insurance which makes going to a dermatologist problematic.

If I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, I'm afraid I might be allergic to sulfur masks as well.

Eesh, those retinol products are pricey.

I might go ahead and try green cream level 3 to start off with.

Would you recommend that it's a good retinol product to help stop breakouts and clear up my skin?

Since you seem to be fairly knowledgeable with skin products, what would you recommend as a daily face wash and cleanser?

Cetaphil and 10% benzoyl use to work fine but my skin doesn't want to cooperate now for some reason...

Yeah, those retinol products with listed concentrations are pricey. The retinol you can get from a drugstore typically don't list the amounts, and for a good reason. Generally, anything under 0.5% of an "active ingredient" isn't disclosed, because most consumers would think it's not worth the money to buy something with such a low concentration.

My guess is that most drugstore retinol products have less than 0.1%. Rule of thumb: if it's listed right after BHT, the retinol is definitely under 0.5%, very likely 0.025% to 0.1%. The glycerin is having more effect than the retinol is in those products.

Yep, Green Cream and the Tx Systems Affirm lines are more affordable options. I'll look on a few other websites for you if I can find some cheaper or equally affordable brands.

Vanicream cleansers and the Aveeno Bar one are really nice and gentle.

If those pimples/red bumps don't go away or get worse in <3 months, you should definitely go to a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 03/06/2014 4:52 am

I'll go ahead and try to get a fungal shampoo for my forehead.

What would I typically buy for that, though? I didn't know they made such a thing.

So you definitely think that the green cream level 3 is worth the purchase?

I think I might be overwashing my face as well and getting break outs. After washing my face sometimes, it feels sort of elastic and tight.

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 03/06/2014 5:44 am

What would I typically buy for that, though? I didn't know they made such a thing.

I think I might be overwashing my face as well and getting break outs. After washing my face sometimes, it feels sort of elastic and tight.

• You could try nizoral shampoo which has the active ingredient Ketoconazole in 1% and 2%. Widely used chemical for PF and can be used topically either as a shampoo(leave on for about 5 min in shower before washing of) or as a cream. It's usually available in 1 or 2% concentrations in various products and is usually the most effective treatment. You could also try:
  • Zinc Pyrithione- which is both antifungal and antibacterial. However, I recommend trying something like ZNP bar since it has 2% Zinc Pyrithione in it and is designed for use on the skin, not specially for the hair; or
  • Selenium sulfide- Selsun Blue, Selseb shampoo, Head & Shoulders

All the best

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 03/06/2014 6:08 am

• You could try nizoral shampoo which has the active ingredient Ketoconazole in 1% and 2%. Widely used chemical for PF and can be used topically either as a shampoo(leave on for about 5 min in shower before washing of) or as a cream. It's usually available in 1 or 2% concentrations in various products and is usually the most effective treatment. You could also try:
  • Zinc Pyrithione- which is both antifungal and antibacterial. However, I recommend trying something like ZNP bar since it has 2% Zinc Pyrithione in it and is designed for use on the skin, not specially for the hair; or

All the best

Thank you. I'll try it. Is the ZNP bar good for a daily face wash?

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 03/06/2014 7:30 am

All the best

Thank you. I'll try it. Is the ZNP bar good for a daily face wash?

I haven't personally used it however i have read that it is effective for this sort of issue. It may be a trial and error to see if your skin tolerates it; some people find that it worked for daily use other found that it over dried their skin, you might find that you could use it very other day and interchange between another cleanser. Just give it a reasonable amount of time to test it out for yourself. All the best.

MemberMember
(@phont)

Posted : 03/06/2014 5:33 pm

I looked up the soap bar and found this one: https://www.amazon.com/2-Pyrithione-Zinc-Bar-Soap/dp/B00606RORK/

It's only $10 as a vegan formula compared to the $35~ one for some reason.

I found this one too but it takes 3 to 6 weeks to arrive: http://www.amazon.com/Carbod-ZNP-Pyrithione-Zinc-Soap/dp/B009GC2VUK

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 03/07/2014 8:45 am

On 3/7/2014 at 4:33 AM, phont said:

I looked up the soap bar and found this one: https://www.amazon.com/2-Pyrithione-Zinc-Bar-Soap/dp/B00606RORK/

It's only $10 as a vegan formula compared to the $35~ one for some reason.

I found this one too but it takes 3 to 6 weeks to arrive: http://www.amazon.com/Carbod-ZNP-Pyrithione-Zinc-Soap/dp/B009GC2VUK

Worth a shot, you should be able to buy from your local drugstore for a reasonable price also.