Notifications
Clear all

In Need Of Advice Regarding A Scar

MemberMember
(@misscreampuff)

Posted : 03/05/2014 2:21 am

Hello everyone,

It's been almost ten years struggling with acne for me. During these years, it was not really horrible at any point I guess. On accutane, I was totally clear for example. Then after having stopped taking it, the acne stroke back again at a moderate rate etc etc. It's just too long of a history to go into every detail but at least I can say that after being on birth control for three months, my face is almost clear, I just get one or two pimples from time to time but nothing severe.

Anyhow, my main issue is that, last year back in april I got a really really bad cystic acne on my cheek below the eye. It was the worst acne I ever had which unsurprisingly left a shallow scar that is uneven and large. At this point, I feel the need to say that I know just one single scar is not the end of my life considering there are many people out there who have more severe issues. So I don't wanna sound too self-centered or superficial but it's just that I prefer not to have it and try to do as much as I can about it...

So, back to the scar, under normal lightning it's not extremely visible but under spots etc it seems deeper and uneven. I have gone to see a doctor and she called it to be a rolling scar, within last 3 months I got two sessions of subcision and fraxel, and the improvement I saw was quite little, if any left after I decided to take things into my own hands and started using a combination of retin a & gotu kola cream & aloe vera gel. I've been using these products at different times since these two weeks and I am not sure what's happening with the scar. I think it's more visible now, but it could be because retin a is thinning the outer layer. So basically, anyone has any advice on that, experienced a similar problem? or basically any suggestion about a possibly successful treatment method would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 03/05/2014 5:56 am

Hi misscreampuff,

I know it's harsh to deal with this unpleasant memories. I feel sorry for you.

You said you've been using retin a, ugh?

Some people noticed scar worsening while on retin a but it's supposed to thick your skin and create new collagen cells. As you said, it might be just the beginning of cell turnover.

You should do research before attempting anything.

Have you heard of needling or dermarolling?

You should check it.

One last point: a multivitaminic

Hope it helps,

Shelbyville

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 03/05/2014 6:50 am

If your concern is only the one scar then I recommend a filler- a temporary injectable treatment that lasts roughly three months. This enables an isolated treatment of a scar without affecting the surrounding skin. Perhaps you could look into this type of treatment, however I recommend doing some research before hand. All the best.

MemberMember
(@misscreampuff)

Posted : 03/05/2014 7:43 am

Hi misscreampuff,

I know it's harsh to deal with this unpleasant memories. I feel sorry for you.

You said you've been using retin a, ugh?

Some people noticed scar worsening while on retin a but it's supposed to thick your skin and create new collagen cells. As you said, it might be just the beginning of cell turnover.

You should do research before attempting anything.

Have you heard of needling or dermarolling?

You should check it.

One last point: a multivitaminic

Hope it helps,

Shelbyville

Thank you for your helpful answer! 🙂

I actually have read about dermarolling online, and there are some people who haven't had any results at all... But I guess it just varies from one person to another, and I cannot really know without even trying. But, well at the moment I guess I wanna leave it more like a last option to get needled on my face because i find it a bit scary to be honest. 🙁

I will definitely look for multivitaminic though, so thanks again!

If your concern is only the one scar then I recommend a filler- a temporary injectable treatment that lasts roughly three months. This enables an isolated treatment of a scar without affecting the surrounding skin. Perhaps you could look into this type of treatment, however I recommend doing some research before hand. All the best.

Thank you for the answer. Well what I already did was that, my doctor used a temporary filler. It seemed to improve (less indented look) but then it pretty much didn't last. Actually I paid a lot for it and I am not sure if I can pay the same amount of money every other 3 month for the rest of my life. But just to clarify, do you mean that it will get better at some point and I won't need the injection anymore - let's say in 2-3 years - ?

Thanks again!