Notifications
Clear all

Need Advice With Hydroquinone & Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@atn)

Posted : 03/04/2014 8:15 pm

Hi guys I have bad PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) from previous cysts nodules flare ups that I constantly had for about a year and a half. It has destroyed my self-confidence and left me with digusting looking skin. I'm trying everything possible to speed up the process of fading the redish/brown marks but I need some advice.

I have gotten the acne nodules under control and no longer have breakouts. The big reason why I got clear was from using 5% benzoyl peroxide. I want to try out hydroquinone because I heard it bleaches and helps fades PIH marks faster. My problem here is that I've heard of some conflicting issues regarding the useage of hydroquinone and BP together and how it either deactivates the effectiveness of the hydroquinone, and also turns your skin orange. Is this true? I want some advice from someone who has experience and dealt with hydroquinone and BP at the same time before.

I don't want to ever stop using BP 5% because its the only thing that has worked for me. What's the solution to this? Also, do you guys have any other recommendations on how to fade these damn brown spots faster? I'm moving to a new state in a couple of months and my new job will require a lot of face to face interactions. I'm absolutely terrified at this point. I want people to see me as to who I really am, and not judge me for the horrible marks I have on the sides of my face. Please help!!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 8:26 pm

Hi guys I have bad PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) from previous cysts nodules flare ups that I constantly had for about a year and a half. It has destroyed my self-confidence and left me with digusting looking skin. I'm trying everything possible to speed up the process of fading the redish/brown marks but I need some advice.

I have gotten the acne nodules under control and no longer have breakouts. The big reason why I got clear was from using 5% benzoyl peroxide. I want to try out hydroquinone because I heard it bleaches and helps fades PIH marks faster. My problem here is that I've heard of some conflicting issues regarding the useage of hydroquinone and BP together and how it either deactivates the effectiveness of the hydroquinone, and also turns your skin orange. Is this true? I want some advice from someone who has experience and dealt with hydroquinone and BP at the same time before.

I don't want to ever stop using BP 5% because its the only thing that has worked for me. What's the solution to this? Also, do you guys have any other recommendations on how to fade these damn brown spots faster? I'm moving to a new state in a couple of months and my new job will require a lot of face to face interactions. I'm absolutely terrified at this point. I want people to see me as to who I really am, and not judge me for the horrible marks I have on the sides of my face. Please help!!

According to drugs.com:

"Using hydroquinone topical together with benzoyl peroxide, hydrogen peroxide, or other peroxide products may cause a temporary staining of your skin. This staining can usually be removed with soap and water." --> source here: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/hydroquinone-topical.html

I haven't heard anything about "deactivation" specifically.

OTC topicals that aren't effective as hydroquinone: glycolic acid, niacinamide, retinol or retinaldehyde, kojic acid, Vitamin C.

Of course, talk to a dermatologist for this. I don't know what your skin tone is, and if you have darker types that limits your options somewhat.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/04/2014 8:44 pm

try 10% aha lotion its doing the job for me it will take atleast 2-3 months to clear the whole thing but longer if your acne isnt under control

MemberMember
(@whistle11)

Posted : 08/28/2014 10:42 am

I have the exact same question. The bp has helped me to stop the breakouts and now I want to use hydroquinone but am worried about the interaction. Would love to hear your experience if you wound up using them together.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/28/2014 5:08 pm

Hey I wanted to comment on this and let you know, don't bother with the Hydroquinone UNLESS the spots you are trying to fade away are brown spots. Any spots that are red in color or pinkish will not have any improvement with the Hydroquinone. It will work great for you brown spots though. It's expensive because insurance will not cover it since it's a cosmetic. That's the case with most insurances, maybe yours will cover it thought. Something to check into for sure.

My recommendation is to use AHA. I order mine from acne.org store. I love it! It's a chemical exfolator. It's a really nice product. Faded my marks away completely in 2 or 3 months. Saw fading results within 2 weeks. Gives my skin a really nice glow and youthful look, makes my skin nice and smooth and soft as well. It is to be used along with the acne.org Regimen, which is a BP based regimen. So it is safe to use on the treatment you are using now. I should also note that the AHA also faded my brown spots. I didn't have many, most were red or pink shades but it did fade the brown ones just the same. I stopped using the Hydroquinone because the results were slow and it was very greasy and never soaked into my skin, it just sat on top of my skin all day. It also was causing blackheads where I would spot treat with it.

http://store.acne.org/aha

MemberMember
(@jewel333)

Posted : 07/01/2015 9:53 pm

I have been using a combination of 5% BP and 3% Hydroquinone for a few months now and not only has my acne completely cleared up but my sunspots and melasma is completely gone. No side effects noted. I have been getting it from the lady who does my facials and she charges an arm and a leg. I have been trying to find something similar online but it looks like both products sold separately usually come in a lotion. My only complaint is that this solution can not be exposed to light otherwise it will not work.