Notifications
Clear all

When Everything That's Supposed To Work Only Makes It Worse

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/04/2014 5:59 pm

I tried salicylic acid, benzol peroxide, AHA, Azelaic Acid, anything you can think of to get rid of my marks. I realized that they always turn more red, and take twice as long to go away if I do any of those things. What am I left with? I noticed I'm better off not using anything but polysporin and moisturizer, and that marks go away much faster if I don't use any acids or any acne medications. So is there anything that's different? anything that will actually work? Because I'm pretty lost on this one.

MemberMember
(@extinguisher0126)

Posted : 03/04/2014 6:10 pm

Stop being a baby about such minor things. From the info you gave I believe it's hyperpigmentation marks. Nothing to worry about. Try avoiding chemicals on it. Try natural remedies like lemons and aloe vera. Both very affordable and effective.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/04/2014 6:21 pm

how long have you tried it for ? and are you consistent with your regimen ?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 6:24 pm

I tried salicylic acid, benzol peroxide, AHA, Azelaic Acid, anything you can think of to get rid of my marks. I realized that they always turn more red, and take twice as long to go away if I do any of those things. What am I left with? I noticed I'm better off not using anything but polysporin and moisturizer, and that marks go away much faster if I don't use any acids or any acne medications. So is there anything that's different? anything that will actually work? Because I'm pretty lost on this one.

I hope you're applying the correct amounts, and that you don't have rosacea.

You might need to go on pH-neutral salicylic acid, lactic acid, gluconolactone, retinol (if no rosacea), or sulfur + sodium sulfacetamide (for acne) treatments. You must also wear sunscreen. Or, you might need to use lower concentration salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (for acne), or 15% azelaic acid.

Most of these ingredients I mentioned are exfoliative, which may help with red marks a little, but are best for drier skin and acne. For actual red marks that don't go away, you probably have to go on IPL or pulsed dye laser treatments.

You should go back to the dermatologist regardless.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 03/04/2014 8:07 pm

I really don't know why they combined the red marks and acne scar boards...completely different things that aren't even in the same category when it comes to impact.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:04 pm

Stop being a baby about such minor things. From the info you gave I believe it's hyperpigmentation marks. Nothing to worry about. Try avoiding chemicals on it. Try natural remedies like lemons and aloe vera. Both very affordable and effective.

How am I being a baby? Can I not just ask a question? How would you even know how bad i have it? I know its hyperpigmentation. I tried aloe and it tightens my skin way too much, so that makes it worse. Was thinking about trying lemon.

I have tried each type of acid and exfoliant for a month only to make it worse.

Yes, unfrotunately I do have rosacea, and my skin is very prone to broken capillaries.

And if anybody is pissed off about me complaining about hyperpigmentation, please feel free to not post in my thread. Don't take your own issues out on me. Okay? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:22 pm

How am I being a baby? Can I not just ask a question? How would you even know how bad i have it? I know its hyperpigmentation. I tried aloe and it tightens my skin way too much, so that makes it worse. Was thinking about trying lemon.

Yes, unfrotunately I do have rosacea, and my skin is very prone to broken capillaries.

And if anybody is pissed off about me complaining about hyperpigmentation, please feel free to not post in my thread. Don't take your own issues out on me. Okay? Thanks.

It sounds like you have a bad case of rosacea. :(

Have you used metronidazole or brimonidine (brand name Mirvaso)? Are you considering using pulsed dye lasers or IPL?

Do not use topical lemon juice! Lemon juice can contain phototoxic compounds like limonene. It'll be horrible on your skin!

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:23 pm

most of the time exfoliating can cause your skin to purge if you have acne underneath the skin so i would give it atleast 2-3 before you make a decision if it works or not

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:27 pm

It sounds like you have a bad case of rosacea.

Have you used metronidazole or brimonidine (brand name Mirvaso)? Are you considering using pulsed dye lasers or IPL?

Do not use topical lemon juice! Lemon juice can contain phototoxic compounds like limonene. It'll be horrible on your skin!

I haven't tried those. The only laser I tried is Genesis, and it improved my marks subtly while doing nothing for my broken veins. I would do IPL except it's way to expensive for me to be able to afford.

most of the time exfoliating can cause your skin to purge if you have acne underneath the skin so i would give it atleast 2-3 before you make a decision if it works or not

I don't think it caused more acne in my case, It just caused the marks to become much darker red and caused them to remain there twice as long as the marks I never used it on.