Notifications
Clear all

Alternatives To A Foaming Cleanser

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 03/04/2014 3:01 pm

Hello there!

This is my first post. I regularly look through the forums for guidance, so I finally decided to join since I spend so much time here.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with cleansers that aren't foaming, such as cleansing balms, cleansing waters, or oils? I've always used a foaming cleanser, but I always feel like my skin is being stripped.. especially lately, as I've been using Tazorac 0.05% and it dries my skin out.

Since I'm so used to using foamy ones (I use Boscia Detoxyfying Black Cleanser), I'm terrified moving to a new method of cleansing will mess with my skin or not clean it thoroughly.

So has anyone tried any alternative methods that don't break you out and get your face clean?

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 03/04/2014 3:57 pm

i was about to wash some greasy product from my face before i went out, and my options were my sulfur soap, some tea (calendula or other type), some combination of water+essential oils. but while some of these options would have done the job, they would still make my skin flakey after 15min or so. i could have added a bit of honey in the mix to stop flakiness, but i had to go and leaving sweetness there ..i was suspicious.

so i remembered about the water+apple cider vinegar, which would remove that grease (possibly better than the soap), bacteria, but also leave a more acidic ph for protection, and i had a sense it wouldn't make me flakey-dry at all. sure enough it did it's job perfectly, after 30min i checked in a mirror and the skin was perfect.

this will become my new "soap" from now on.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 4:05 pm

Hello there!

This is my first post. I regularly look through the forums for guidance, so I finally decided to join since I spend so much time here.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with cleansers that aren't foaming, such as cleansing balms, cleansing waters, or oils? I've always used a foaming cleanser, but I always feel like my skin is being stripped.. especially lately, as I've been using Tazorac 0.05% and it dries my skin out.

Since I'm so used to using foamy ones (I use Boscia Detoxyfying Black Cleanser), I'm terrified moving to a new method of cleansing will mess with my skin or not clean it thoroughly.

So has anyone tried any alternative methods that don't break you out and get your face clean?

Have you used Vanicream cleansers or the Aveeno cleansing bar? They're really good, though not foaming.

Off the top of my head, I think Avene and La-Roche Posay has a few gentle foaming cleansers. I don't know if you've tried the Cetaphil "oil-control" one yet.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/04/2014 5:04 pm

Hey there I have been using elemis lime blosson cream cleanser ever since I started using differin about 8 months ago...that is the only thing I use to cleanse my face except for a gentle aha cleanser a couple of times a week...foamin cleanser were ruining my skin. I don't know if you get elemis in the states..but in my opinion the right cream cleanser can do wonders to balance your skin...I just rub it gently on my skin then rinse with warm water and wipe off with a tissue..I do this twice if I have been wearing a lot of make up.

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 03/05/2014 11:41 am

i was about to wash some greasy product from my face before i went out, and my options were my sulfur soap, some tea (calendula or other type), some combination of water+essential oils. but while some of these options would have done the job, they would still make my skin flakey after 15min or so. i could have added a bit of honey in the mix to stop flakiness, but i had to go and leaving sweetness there ..i was suspicious.

so i remembered about the water+apple cider vinegar, which would remove that grease (possibly better than the soap), bacteria, but also leave a more acidic ph for protection, and i had a sense it wouldn't make me flakey-dry at all. sure enough it did it's job perfectly, after 30min i checked in a mirror and the skin was perfect.

I've tried the water and apple cider vinegar before. It stung my skin quite awfully. Even being extremely careful, I got some too close to my eyes which left them stinging for hours!

Did the combination of sulfur soap, tea, honey, and water+essential oils help your skin?

Hello there!

Have you used Vanicream cleansers or the Aveeno cleansing bar? They're really good, though not foaming.

Off the top of my head, I think Avene and La-Roche Posay has a few gentle foaming cleansers. I don't know if you've tried the Cetaphil "oil-control" one yet.

I haven't tried Vanicream, I'll have to look into it.. hopefully it'll work for me better than Cetaphil. I never got what all the hype over it was, both the face wash and the moisturizer made me feel sort of slimy. I'm not a big fan of bars. They always work wonderfully the first few uses and just when I think my skin is going to improve they start to break me out

I might try the La Roche Posay! I've used their sunscreen before, it just never crossed my mind to try their cleanser. My main issue is that my skin is SO very sensitive. It's really hard to find products that are strong enough to treat acne, but are gentle enough that they don't turn my face into a splotchy tomato red mess.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/05/2014 4:40 pm

I've tried the water and apple cider vinegar before. It stung my skin quite awfully. Even being extremely careful, I got some too close to my eyes which left them stinging for hours!

Did the combination of sulfur soap, tea, honey, and water+essential oils help your skin?

>

Hello there!

I haven't tried Vanicream, I'll have to look into it.. hopefully it'll work for me better than Cetaphil. I never got what all the hype over it was, both the face wash and the moisturizer made me feel sort of slimy. I'm not a big fan of bars. They always work wonderfully the first few uses and just when I think my skin is going to improve they start to break me out

I might try the La Roche Posay! I've used their sunscreen before, it just never crossed my mind to try their cleanser. My main issue is that my skin is SO very sensitive. It's really hard to find products that are strong enough to treat acne, but are gentle enough that they don't turn my face into a splotchy tomato red mess.

Vanicream recently released a cleanser in a pump container.

Avene has a line of cleansers and treatments specifically for acne: http://www.aveneusa.com/products/concern/oily-acne-prone-skin

La Roche Posay's sunscreens are nice, just to let you now. There's a L'Oreal sunscreen "dupe" available online and maybe in some drugstores. *wink wink, nudge nudge* 😉

Are you sure you're using the proper amount? Less than a dime-sized, or 1/8 of a teaspoon would work for most treatments and cleansers.