Notifications
Clear all

Retin A Micro (0.4%) And Glycolic Acid (4%) Together For Pih?

MemberMember
(@ahkeem9)

Posted : 03/04/2014 11:36 am

*CORRECTION* Retin - A is 0.04%.

To start off I'm a 20 year old black male.

So I've been on Retin A Micro for about 7 weeks as well as Doxycycline pills and my cystic acne is gone, just get a few small zits but nothing really, I always had a few.

As of now, I'm done breaking out, YAY!

But I wanted to know since I don't get irritation from the Retin A Micro can I add my Neostrata Gel Cleanser with 4% Glycolic Acid into the regimen? I still have post inflammatory pigmentation and want to get rid of it. I hear that the Retin A helps with that but I'm not too sure if it does or not.

I know that Neostrata helps with evening out the skin tone, I used it before it and it worked but I wasn't on Retin A.

Please let me know!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/04/2014 12:46 pm

You can't use a retinoid and glycolic acid together, you could use one morning/one night but if you apply them to your skin at the same time, they actually neutralize each other so you won't get any benefit.

MemberMember
(@ahkeem9)

Posted : 03/04/2014 12:48 pm

You can't use a retinoid and glycolic acid together, you could use one morning/one night but if you apply them to your skin at the same time, they actually neutralize each other so you won't get any benefit.

Oh am I able to rotate? like One night use neostrata cleanser and the next night use retinoid? Because I don't want to use a AHA in the morning during winter.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/04/2014 12:59 pm

To be honest, your regimem is keeping your skin clear, you add in new stuff especially more exfoliants and your skin could break out. Retin-a is already used to treat hyperpigmentation so I wouldn't use the glycolic acid too.

MemberMember
(@ahkeem9)

Posted : 03/04/2014 1:21 pm

To be honest, your regimem is keeping your skin clear, you add in new stuff especially more exfoliants and your skin could break out. Retin-a is already used to treat hyperpigmentation so I wouldn't use the glycolic acid too.

Okay thanks. Ill just stick to my Mild cleanser and Retin A. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 4:10 pm

Technically, you can use tretinoin and glycolic acid without worrying about pH conflicts. It's the irritation/dryness you need to watch out for.

You could use a leave-on glycolic acid lotion in the morning, and Retin-A Micro at night.

MemberMember
(@ahkeem9)

Posted : 03/04/2014 5:59 pm

Technically, you can use tretinoin and glycolic acid without worrying about pH conflicts. It's the irritation/dryness you need to watch out for.

You could use a leave-on glycolic acid lotion in the morning, and Retin-A Micro at night.

Oh thats another option. Any glycolic acid lotions you recommend? and wouldn't I have to use sun screen after applying that lotion in the morning then?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 6:15 pm

Oh thats another option. Any glycolic acid lotions you recommend? and wouldn't I have to use sun screen after applying that lotion in the morning then?

Alpha Hydrox is nice. And yes, you must apply sunscreen right after the lotion. You don't want to get any sunburn, after all!